Gibson Brands Forums

New here

SGdad

Hello,

Been lurking for a while and finally joined to ask a question in the LP section.

Anyway, a little backgroung. I don't play and don't know anything about guitars. My son started playing about 1 1/2 years ago with a Strat in a box guitar. He got pretty good pretty quick, so after several trips to Guitar Center, playing everthing on the wall, I upgraded him to a Gibson SG Standard. He loves it.

I come on here, and other forums, to learn as much as I can so I can help him learn...

That's the short report and since I know you guys like pics, here is a pic of what my son call his "Beastly Axe".

GibsonSGStandard.jpg

nice! make sure he takes care of it! make sure that any guitar stands you use do NOT have the yellow colored surgical tubing style rubber on them, as it will react with the finish on the SG. If you do have them, make sure that you put fabric tape or something over the rubber to prevent a reaction. Also, make sure you get some gibson pump polish and polishing clothes to keep it looking good, and of course a yearly setup with a qualified guitar tech would help keep it in prime condition.

anyway, I hope your son loves it!

I had heard that certain types of stands will hurt the finish, just wasn't sure which ones. He has one of the ones with the black foam type stuff. Is that OK? I've been having him put a washcloth on top of it for now...

And ya, he loves it...

Thanks for the props guys. As far as an amp goes. He was using the Fender G-Dec that came with the Strat and I have been researching what amp to upgrade him to.

I have been taking him to Guitar Center every so often and letting him plug his SG into all the amps. He always ended up spending the most time with the Spider IV amps. He likes all the presets and stuff. So its wierd that you ask about amps today, because I literally just got done unloading and hooking up his new Spider IV 120w amp. He's not home from basketball practice yet and has no idea I got it for him. I can't wait to see his reaction when he gets home!!!

Also, I bought some Hercules wall hanging guitar holders, so no more worries about the finish on the stand up style stands. Unless those will do something to the head/neck???

Welcome aboard Dad,

You started off kinda funny hanging around the LP group and with the Strat stuff but you ended up in a great section here. Theres lottsa friendly folks here that are happy to give a hand.

Nice job cultivating you son with music, and kudos to you for getting him a suprise amp. Hope you have ear plugs, 120 W is gonna make some noise [cool] I know, when I was a kid, I played drums every day and now my Dad is nearly deaf....

Archived