Gibson Brands Forums

About Sustain problem?

Rabbit_Run

I've been use 2 gibson guitars,they're Les Paul model(std1996&R7-1996)

I've seen something in my guitars, on 1st strings 15th fret I found this note(note G) has shorten than others. And I try to play this note on other string(2nd string on 20th fret), I found it has a shortenning sustain too. I don't think that it's a big problem but I want to know that it is normal? or not? and how to fix this problem?

[cool]#-o

PS when I tune down the string the note can move to another frets.

No mate it's not normal unless your going for a sitar sound[lol]

But seriously,just try turning that screw wheel nearest the vol/tone controls on the bridge a bit. Bearing your nuts OK,as well as your neck and frets...no you should be OK. No biggy,I reckon. You haven't changed string gauges lately have you?[confused]

Thanks for the answer, I will try it.

Intonation of guitars're able to incorrect but I had been check it note in 1st fret and 12fret in each strings are intune, I'm not sure the intonation setup has other details?

But I don't understand why two guitars have the same problem on same position. Sustain isn't very short but it seem shorten than or the fret. And sound of that note when you play it, it will aloud for 4-5 second and then it will fade away quickly.

I explain it to you by picture

Sound of other note on other fret.

++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

it show you the sound is slowly fade away,right?

But on this note this fret (note G on 1st string 15th fret)

++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for answers me [confused]

Setup and intonation ought to help. One other thing to try is to tune down a half or whole step and see if the fast decay on the note moves. If it does not, then it seems likely to be a fret or setup issue. If it moves, then it seems more likely to be a neck resonance thing. I have read that one other thing to try to determine if it is resonance is to hold the head stock lightly against the wall while playing the note. If the decay improves, then it could be neck resonance.

I could be totally wrong on it, and if I am the other forum guys will set both of us straight. :-& That being said, I sent back two Gibsons in the last few months (a Studio and a GM BFG) because they had dead notes that I could not overcome with setups.

If it seems to not be the frets and setup, google "guitar neck resonance" or something similar. There is a product called a Fat Finger that is supposed to help. Maybe others here have experience with it.

Good luck!

Setup and intonation ought to help. One other thing to try is to tune down a half or whole step and see if the fast decay on the note moves. If it does not' date=' then it seems likely to be a fret or setup issue. If it moves, then it seems more likely to be a neck resonance thing. I have read that one other thing to try to determine if it is resonance is to hold the head stock lightly against the wall while playing the note. If the decay improves, then it could be neck resonance.

[/quote']

Oh God, it can move. How I fix this problem?

Sawadee cap' date=' Rabbit Run ;-)

You need to take them both to a reputible luthier (guitar tech) & get them set up properly. Truss rod, intonation, nut & bridge settings will sort your problem but get them done by a pro. Have fun![/quote']

Sawasdee Crap, Phildobbin

Have you ever come to my country?

thanks for your advice. :-D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What a lucky to me, have 2 guitars were have same problem same note same spot. T_T

Sawasdee Crap' date=' Phildobbin

Have you ever come to my country?

thanks for your advice. :-D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What a lucky to me, have 2 guitars were have same problem same note same spot. T_T[/quote']

Yeah, about a dozen times since the first in '95...

May pen rai...

Archived