Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars and Girlfriends - Girlfriends and Guitars

Thundergod

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Girls get mad when I wanted to play guitar with my friends instead of hanging out with her...

Girls get mad when I spend more money on guitar stuff than her...

Girls get mad when I hold my guitar more than I hold her...

Yes' date=' I know what you mean.

[/quote']

Well, "Girls Get Mad," anyway.... it's the nature of the beast! LOL! Hmmm, maybe

there's a song, there?!

Guitars don't get jealous, and they don't talk back, or have an "attitude"...unless of

course, you want them to!

;>)

CB

My wife buys about half my guitars and has a good eye for them also she bought the last recording model while I was out of town she saw it in a shop and recognized it as a recording and bought it after having a friend check the electronics when I asked her why she said hey it was a 8.5 or 9 out of ten I'd never seen one that cherry!

Now she's a keeper. My wife never complains even with 70-80 guitars she's fine with me buying whatever. That said though Ive never put it as a priority everything else comes first and I never make the family scrimp to buy gear luckily I have a good job and it makes it easier.

she's not a total pushover she doesn't like me to buy big amps anymore the Soldano started that hatred so she's a big fan of smaller amps and she does hate cases she says they just make guitars take twice as much room and she says they end up everywhere...

bigfootdg - man I never say crap like this to another player but pass on the amp and spend the money on the wedding it's a huge day in the life of your wife while you just stand there in a rented suit. Trust me 20 years from now she'll still be looking at the photo's and you'll have bought dozens of amps and won't even remember this one so giver her her day.

Please stop reminding me' date=' it will come to my house soon enough. [angry']

Just remember...it isn't you. It isn't something you've done. It isn't something you've said. And, most important of all, it isn't something you can fix. [biggrin]

Oh, and by the way, when she's standing on the back porch in the middle of the night in February, holding her robe wide open, it's not because she's feeling frisky! #-o (I can't stress this one enough)

I kinda get a kick out of this thread.

Actually I think some has to do with whether the guy is a lifelong guitar player (even if he's 14 when he reads this), or if he's a "pick it up and learn a bit" player who may be quite skilled, but it's kinda like high school sports instead of something that fits so well into his personality that he can't not-play guitar the rest of his life.

Young guys - they may say "buy it now," but...

When I was a kid I actually was dumb enough to tend to rename girlfriends by the kinda guitar they played. For several years I kinda didn't think girls were real unless they were pickers too. But in retrospect, I think they tended to be more of the "pick it up and learn a bit" player personalities. I dunno. Still very nice girls that I have nice and pretty innocent memories about by today's standards. It was a different world since the pill hadn't yet become ubiquitous and I didn't think being a papa was a good idea. (Still don't. I'm too young. Maybe when I grow up.)

Anyway, in those olden days there supposedly even was a classification of girls who dated guys simply to learn new techniques on the guitar. I don't think I ran into any of those.

I also figured that singing style told a lot about a girl - more than the "go ahead and buy that guitar" if you're new together. (I mean less than a cupla years.)

Cruzn's being half funny and half reflective of reality but - frankly I think girls in my age group are a lot more fun than younger ones because we're all kinda past the hormone stage in life - not that we don't still have our share, but now there's a more clear picture of the real person under the smile.

I'll say this: I couldn't have a girlfriend or wife who was not accepting of guitar playing and/or gigging. If they are not, they're probably sufficiently insecure that they wouldn't be much fun long-term to be with anyway. On the other hand, the reverse holds true.

Overall? I think "guitar" isn't so much the deal as "do the guy and the girl have the ability to actually talk to each other and maybe back out with egos intact before things get too far?"

m

Any of you think there's a way to get them to get along? [woot]

Most girlfriends I've had have been jealous of my guitars... one even took one and gave it away without my knowledge (when I found out I dumped her... so maybe she had good reason to be jealous[cool] )

Has any of you guys had any such experiences?

Maybe there's a way to get them to get along; maybe there isn't....

Maybe I've had such experiences; maybe I haven't....

Otherwise ... no comment.

I got no woman/guitar blues.

If your girlfriend it jealous of your guitars then the relationship isn't going to work at all. Period.

Agreed.

I learned in high school (nearly 30 years ago) that I needed to administer a litmus test of some sort to any 'girlfriend' as soon as possible. If they didn't like my hobbies or leisure activities from Day One' date=' they weren't likely to grow to accept them with the passage of time. And NOTHING kills a guitar collection faster than a divorce....

Back in school, I found that if I voluntarily sacrificed every other aspect of my life to spend every waking moment with them, when the flaming hot romance burned out it was always for nothing - I wasted all that time....

When the jealous whining started, I always reacted the [i']wrong[/i] way by telling them to stop it.

I ain't listening to that sh!t, and if you allow it to affect your plans just once you're forever screwed.

:-)

Drag racing, concerts, shooting, flying, and then collecting guitars would often cause issues early in a relationship even though I encouraged them to join me and I wasn't asking her to tag along with my friends.

If I took a lady to a function, I made it a point to forego the buddies and spend my time with her exclusively.

I wanted her to learn something about what was going on and develop at least a slight interest on her own.

Some women appreciate being the focal point of your day even if it's at some event they wouldn't have gone to alone, while others are jealous even at home with nothing but the TV competing for your time.

All I gotta say is, any woman insecure enough to be threatened by a football game on the tube won't be in my life very long - I can't tolerate that neurotic sh!t.

My wife picked this up easily, she knows that she can go with me or not - I'm going either way.

As it stands now, she gets excited about nice guitars when I do, and she knows I'm pretty tight with money.

For me to spend a couple thousand bucks isn't something I do lightly, and she knows that.

I always try to fit something into the day for her.

I once bought her a T-shirt at an airshow, she sleeps in it to this day.

Maybe this analogy comes closest to what I feel.

The men in my wifes family are big time hunting enthusiasts and my wife always hated that come hunting season they would all trudge off to the camp in the beautiful forests of PA leaving the woman at home alone. Her mother gave her this advise.

If you don't like it then DO NOT marry a hunter. You may think you can change them but you won't.

I think the same goes for guitar players/ owners and maybe musicians in general (except drummers of course).

Love the man/Love his guitars. Its who he is and you can't change it.

The best way is to find a girl who has her own interests - preferably creative - and who is secure enough that you can support each other.

My wife encouraged me to get the guitar I wanted instead of saving a few hundred bucks and buying cheaper. She's learned all about amps, tone wood, etc. She was happy for me when I bought a computer to record with. She even pushed me to make a friend I could do some writing and playing with - long as I didn't abandon her and the kids for the music, which I have no desire to do.

Now, my wife is a gardener. She took our dull, all-grass property and turned it into an oasis - shrubs, flowers, trees, paths to walk, places to sit and relax. It's her thing - and I support it. I encourage her to buy her newest "must have" plant (it's kind of like GAS, but less expensive), and during the spring and autumn I usually put in a good days work a week doing the heavy digging, hauling, etc. I've learned to enjoy it, just like she's learned to appreciate my music interest. A relaxing winter evening is me jamming in the living room with her curled up on the couch reading gardening magazines or seed catalogs.

I can't imagine having to play some game where I tried to appease a chick enough to be able to get "my time." If you can't do stuff together, and learn from each other, then the sex better be awful good... and even that won't last.

The best way is to find a girl who has her own interests - preferably creative - and who is secure enough that you can support each other.

I can't imagine having to play some game where I tried to appease a chick enough to be able to get "my time." If you can't do stuff together' date=' and learn from each other, then the sex better be awful good... and even that won't last.[/quote']

+1.

Nicely put. Simple, yet precise.

Just remember...it isn't you. It isn't something you've done. It isn't something you've said. And' date=' most important of all, it isn't something you can fix. [confused

Oh, and by the way, when she's standing on the back porch in the middle of the night in February, holding her robe wide open, it's not because she's feeling frisky! [biggrin] (I can't stress this one enough)

Dennis, is there a support group I can join or will I be on my own? My friend, the PMS is brutal, I just can't see menopause being worse than this. My wife's boss tracks her cycles in MS Outlook. This helps him to avoid here...

I am lucky - my wife of almost 29 years encouraged me to pick the guitar back up and start playing again. She knew I played way back when (see my sig) and really enjoyed it. She is the one that kept lugging my first guitar from house to house saying why don't you restore it and play it - or sell it? It was her that noticed two years ago that I started getting emails/catalogs in the mail on guitars. She diligently but slyly noticed what guitars I was looking at. She ask questions about them. She got me my guitar last Christmas. She encouraged a practice amp. Now my sons and wife tease me about my playing but notice it's getting better all the time, especially when I jam with You Tube videos. I could have the LP of my dreams, but it was me that picked out the Dot... no comments please. NO need to encourage my own second guessing myself. When I reach a point in my playing, a Standard will be in my arms. She agreed with that thought pattern and to this day, still looks at the catalogs, websites and most importantly - over my shoulder at these posts in the "Gibson Forums".

She still asks questions about the next guitar but admittedly, also asks me which one I will be selling. As we search together for the next "step up" on an acoustic, I told her I would give up the Johnson guitar...

I tried to no avail to explain to her guitars were kinda like fishing rods (I have collected several expensive rods and reels over the 29 years, some are hers. She understands different rods for different fishing conditions, fresh water, salt water, lure selections and line weights, type of fish you are going after, etc. that she has put up with for years.) She knows I like to buy the best we can afford so they will last our lifetime, one of the best examples being the rods and reels. The guitars are a different story. I know I will always fish, but wasn't sure about the guitar at the time. She knew/knows that.

She herself has no interest in guitars, but has all the love and interest in my interests. The same goes for me regarding her interests, needs, wants and happiness. She never cared about fishing either, but loves to go now.

Dad once told me after trying to get my mom back (7 years) after 22 years of marriage, he said "Son, I have finally come to realize that no matter what you do and how hard you try - you only control 50% of a relationship. It doesn't matter what type of relationship it is, no matter what you think you know, love, understand, need and so on, you only control your 50%." Then he let me know he had to move on. Best advice he ever gave me. Best advice I can share here.

Ironically, it was a trip to Nashville that the family took that got me gassing. The trip was for her mostly. We went to a mall and it had a Gibson Guitar store. My wife and I spent hours in that store. I knew I was pushing my 50%, but I had the keys to the car. The kids watched an entire movie during that store visit...LOL. Then there was the museum full of guitars... and you can figure out the rest of the story.

Control your 50% of the relationship, it is all you have. How you control that 50% gives you the best odds at a successful 100% relationship.

Dennis' date=' is there a support group I can join or will I be on my own? My friend, the PMS is brutal, I just can't see menopause being worse than this. My wife's boss tracks her cycles in MS Outlook. This helps him to avoid here... [/quote']

It's not really worse, it's that the PMS is predicable, so you kinda know when to lay low. The menopause stuff seems to be totally random so it comes out of the blue. That's one of the reasons older guys like dating younger women, it's a lot less random. That said my GF is on HRT (her choice - she was before I met her) so it's a lot smoother.

Dennis' date=' is there a support group I can join or will I be on my own? My friend, the PMS is brutal, I just can't see menopause being worse than this. My wife's boss tracks her cycles in MS Outlook. This helps him to avoid here... [/quote']

Bill, being serious here, I felt very much on my own when my bride reached that point in her life. And her change was, and remains, an extreme case rather than "typical". She's had every symptom women can get with it. He restless leg syndrome has been keeping her from sleeping well for over 10 years now. Her hot flashes, although less frequent now, are still something that plague her, often causing her some embarrassment when it happens in public.

But the mood swings, Bill...oh my Lord! At least that part of it only lasted a year or so. I'd get up to leave the room and, when I returned, find a completely different person than I had left just minutes before. Sometimes she'd be in tears, sometimes extremely angry at some small thing (like moving a piece of furniture). At times it was just best to leave her alone but I still felt like I was abandoning her to something really horrible.

I think the thing that helped the most was to talk when she wasn't feeling real stressed. Talk about how it was affecting BOTH of us, without sounding like I was complaining. I told her very frankly that I wish I knew more about what she was going through. I think we men are painfully ignorant about this part of women's lives and, as a result, can often make it worse on them and ourselves than we need to.

I would think there MUST be some support group. If not, it seems like it would be a good idea. My Dad was the greatest guy I've ever known but he didn't tell me a damn thing about the Change-of-Life. I could'a figured out that "Facts of Life" thing on my own but, Lordy, I could'a used some help with the Change. [cool]

Here's what I think; if menopause was a men's problem, there'd be a cure for every known symptom. If you tell that to your SO from time to time it'll likely save you some grief down the road when you put your foot in it....and you will. Good luck, compadre, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. [-(

Thanks Dennis. My sister had a rough time, she's much older than me. She would lock herself in her bedroom for days. I felt sorry for my brother-in-law. I give him credit for sticking it out like he did. I'm surprised on how long menopause lasts. A couple of months is one thing but years is another. Its a torment I am glad I don't have to experience.

I do crack a lot of jokes about my wife, but that's all it is, jokes. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I feel blessed that the lord has given her a major role in my life. So when it come to PMS, I just ride it out and go with the flow. [cool]

Archived