Gibson Brands Forums

Odd bridge plate

ksdaddy

I was poking around inside the newly acquired '69 Heritage and found something I've never seen. The bridge plate is rudely large, thick, and rosewood. I've seen large bridge plates on this era of Gibsons but the odd thing is the added section of plate underneath. It's also rosewood and is even thicker than the main plate. You can't see much in this photo other than the sheer size:

2egagck.jpg

In the next photo I highlighted the added plate:

if1xjs.jpg

I'm wondering if this massive chunk of wood is a transitional thing between the 'old style' and the 'double x' bracing used after 1971. It may have even been put in under warranty for a bulged top or even as an afterthought before it left the factory. I doubt it's something added later, either at the shop or consumer level.

I'm also wondering how much it's choking the sound and if it would be possible or advisable to take it out.

The trebles are fine but the bass isn't as deep as it could be. Of course it's only been here 18 hours so it's too early to tell. There could be some string experimentation involved. It came with unknown strings that measured 12 to 56 so they may have been some hybrid gauge. They were old and thuddy dead. I put D'Addario phosphor lights on it and maybe it just doesn't like them.

I got a good look at the bridge plate on my 64 LG1 a couple of years ago at the luthiers (with mirrors) and was suprised and the size and overall rough appearance. I asked him if it would be worth replacing and he said no. Since the guitar sounded really great - I didn't disagree or get a second opinion.

I did some repairs on a '53 LG-1 a couple years ago. It was stored in an attic and both the back and top popped loose. In additon, some braces fell out and weren't found. It was then I learned about making and radiusing braces from scratch.

And you're right, the bridge plate was grotesquely large and crude. Fortunately I didn't have to touch it.

Archived