Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups...what should i go with?

Vette77

I've currently got a Les Paul custom, so I've got standard 490r/498ts on it. It sounds great, but I feel like i could get a closer to the type of sound I'm looking for by getting new pickups. The only thing I can compare the sound I'm looking for is a Jimmy page-like sound, kind of that traditional bluesish Les paul sound. I've always loved that type of tone when I've heard it but would like to be able to find out how to get it, then add my own variation of sound. What would you guys suggest for that kind of sound, 57 classic/classic plus combos or burstbuckers? Most of you guys will say I should try the sounds out on different guitars myself, but i can't find any guitars with 57 classics on them at any local guitar store, so which would be suggested for my wanted tone?

You have a georgous guitar mate!

Normally your pickups should deliver the sound(s) you're looking for already. Personally, I would experiment with a couple of amps at the store, before changing the pickups. However, if you insist, I would suggest the '57s. I have Burstbuckers on my Studio and there are times I feel they are way too powerful. That's not bad at all off course in my case, because they can also give me some great Metal tones as well.

Page's Les Paul, Clapton's on Mayall era and Peter Green's were all equiped with 57's, correct? These were my thoughts. good luck!

I have Wolfetone Marshallheads in my Custom and I don't it's possible for that guitar to sound any better.

Why would you pay for Gibson pickups when you can get high end PAF clones for a few dollars more??

Also take into account that you should upgrade your pots & caps if you swap the pickups.

That's actually what you should do first and if it's not enough, then replace the pickups.

CTS 500k pots & Luxe repo Bumblebee caps - it's what all the cool kids are doing...

Listen to Are Nine, he's one of those 'cool kids' everybody talks about....

[biggrin] [biggrin]

I've currently got a Les Paul custom' date=' so I've got standard 490r/498ts on it.

I should try the sounds out on different guitars myself, but i can't find any guitars with 57 classics on them at any local guitar store[/quote']

I was in the same boat.

I'm gonna say you're pretty close already, look into amps as stated above.

I was searching for 57 Classics to play before I did the swap in my LP, and all I could find with 57's was the ES-335. Well, I fell in love with the guitar and bought it.

Later, I was playing an SG 61 RI with 57's and bought it too.

Finally put BB Pros in my LP, kinda wishing I had gone with the 57's.

When I ordered my EDS-1275 double neck, I decided I was gonna pull out the 490/498's as soon as I got it and stick in two sets of 57's. Well, as soon as I played the guitar I changed my mind.

I don't know how it could possibly sound any better than it does now with the 490/498.

Not sure there's that much difference in the pickups.

My advice is to simply buy a set (any set) and do the swap - see for yourself.

If you're not sure the difference is there, you have an extra set of good humbuckers to experiment with later on.

Not a bad deal, eh?

Maybe for objectivity, record your guitar somehow before the change with the settings written down and then do the same with the new pickups to sorta test them in a controlled A/B fashion - I find what you feel can get in the way of what you hear...

The way I solved it?

I simply bought lotsa guitars, with more on the horizon.

:-)

Listen to Are Nine' date=' he's one of those 'cool kids' everybody talks about....

[biggrin[confused]

I was in the same boat.

I'm gonna say you're pretty close already, look into amps as stated above.

I was searching for 57 Classics to play before I did the swap in my LP, and all I could find with 57's was the ES-335. Well, I fell in love with the guitar and bought it.

Later, I was playing an SG 61 RI with 57's and bought it too.

Finally put BB Pros in my LP, kinda wishing I had gone with the 57's.

When I ordered my EDS-1275 double neck, I decided I was gonna pull out the 490/498's as soon as I got it and stick in two sets of 57's. Well, as soon as I played the guitar I changed my mind.

I don't know how it could possibly sound any better than it does now with the 490/498.

Not sure there's that much difference in the pickups.

My advice is to simply buy a set (any set) and do the swap - see for yourself.

If you're not sure the difference is there, you have an extra set of good humbuckers to experiment with later on.

Not a bad deal, eh?

Maybe for objectivity, record your guitar somehow before the change with the settings written down and then do the same with the new pickups to sorta test them in a controlled A/B fashion - I find what you feel can get in the way of what you hear...

The way I solved it?

I simply bought lotsa guitars, with more on the horizon.

:-)

man you've got some amazing guitars, sounds like a list of my next to buy, ive always wanted an es-335(although im thinking maybe an es-339 now, little more compact and shares solid body similarities) and an eds-1275 although that wouldve been more of a compulsive buy being a major jimmy page fan. now, i agree i should probobly experiment with it and see for myself, but i think ill still try and find a guitar with some 57s in em at a local store, if no luck then ill just jump at a decision and see if i like em. if not, sell em and get a different pair. thanks for the tips. now, as for are nine's post, id definitely be willing to spend more if these can get me closer to the sound im looking for, im just much more familiar with gibson pickups and ive always assumed them as the highest quality, but would i be able to find these PAF clones at guitarcenter?(best place ive got in the area, would have to take a 3 hour drive for a better place)

Didn't the 57s - 60s come with the PAFs and the 57 Classics were made to replicate them?

Yes' date=' but Burstbuckers were also made to replicate them. That post I quoted sounded like '50s Les Pauls came with '57 Classics but back then, they were just no name humbuckers.

im just much more familiar with gibson pickups and ive always assumed them as the highest quality' date=' but would i be able to find these PAF clones at guitarcenter?(best place ive got in the area, would have to take a 3 hour drive for a better place)[/quote']

High quality but not the highest. The real high-end pickups can't be purchased at chain stores. You have to call up the winder and place an order. That's really the nice part about it - you're not just buying some pickups off the shelf. They're made specifically for you.

Try some Google searches - Wolfetones, Skatterbrane, Bare Knuckle, Throbak, there's many more...

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd dig this old thread back up since I'm still undecided. I looked into the brand wolfetone as stated above and loved the sound demo for marshallheads on the site. Great pickups, but such hot pickups I'm kinda curious of how it's clean tone will sound, since sometimes I like using clean settings for blues. Anyone have any firsthand views on the marshallheads clean tone? As for the amp, don't know where I'd find a decent tube amp to connect mine to without buying online since most of tHe guitar places near me have bad gear or are guitar centers lol so nothing interesting there, but I'm pretty satisfied with the tone/settings from my Marshall half stack. I just feel like the guitar itself sounds so close to my most sought after sound, yet there's slight differences I feel I can change with different pickups. Are nine, you've got me interested in replacing the pots and caps now too although I'm somewhat uneducated on what kind would cause the best improvement, should I get these cts 500ks for volume and tone? Or just one? I'm having trouble finding those luxe repo bumblebee caps, especially not on eBay, but I'll keep looking, as for now I'd hope to get some more opinions on some stuff I stated above, if anyone has anything to say. Thanks

'57 Classics weren't around in the 1950s. Bursts did not come with '57 Classics.

Lol! The 57 Classics are meant to replicate the tone of the original PAFs, which is what he was referring to. Frankly, PAFs are a bit of mythology, the 60s pickups remained fairly (in)consistent until deep into the "T-Top" run. Because they were so variable, it gave rise to the entire replacement pickup industry starting with Larry DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan and Bill Lawrence. In the day Gibson paid no attention to pickup balance neck to bridge, much less coil balance. So, it was a crap-shoot what you were going to get when you bought a new Gibson, and despite the mythology, the same holds true for the 50s & 60 PAFs. Some were great, some were not.

As for your Custom, definitely do not change pickups before you experiment with different amps. In my experince those pickups you have are actually quite good through a good Marshall or Fender tube amp.

Archived