Gibson Brands Forums

man, did i have a surreal day

jannusguy

here it is in a nut shell: some of you know i'm in the concert promotion business. have been for 30 years. FWIW, i have a few connections and i used one today to interact with an artist i've never worked with before. Jackson Browne. you'll see i have a roy smeck in my signature. when i bought it, i found out after the fact, that it was a prototype for a potential JB signature model. i have always wanted to find out what happened with this model, since. i've had it for 2.5 yrs, at least and nothing has changed re: further development. anyway, i wrangled the opportunity today, as JB was in town, to ask the man himself. hilarity ensued!

let me just say, i was shown a level of kindness and courtesy i had no expectation of. i am on cloud 9. i received a guitar lesson from JB himself. shape of a heart in D. he showed me how to play it, as i had asked what key he played it in, then he thrust the (my) guitar at me and said "have at it". i choked.

i'm gonna send up this tune to the guy who wrote it and recorded it? i don't think so.

during sound check, he presented and described all the guitars in his "quiver" as he called it, to me , as if i mattered. we chatted back/forth about pickups, wood, etc. and ..... he was very frank in responding to my need to know the likelihood of a JB sig smeck. (don't hold yer breath, btw). same with jorma's J35, oddly enough. i love me some gibsons but they need to do some PR work. when i showed up with my smeck. the 1st comments were about the nashville "wood" issue.

anyway, i choked. JB says to me, "go ahead and play,pretend i'm not here!". too funny.

i asked him if i could make a little movie of "shape" as he played it. my own little youtube. a good learning tool. he said no. it's all good. i'll never forget it.

i was in the presence of greatness tonight. an artist i admire and a bevy of the finest crafted guitars on the planet. Gibson Acoustics..

didn't think i could still get so jazzed about this after all these years. what fun!

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

Lordy mercy' date=' you're one lucky guy. I can't imagine that. It would probably be like an out of body experience for me. I think he is just one of the all time best. "Pretend I'm not here." Now that's funny.

Thanks for sharing. Very cool.

[/quote']

i wish i hadn't choked when he handed over the guitar after showing me the lick. he told some stories to his crew about david lindley and ry cooder that were very entertaining. he's a rock statesman. i'm grateful for the kindness. he coulda been indifferent.

Jannusguy, thanks for this post. I'm a huge Jackson Browne fan for more than 30 years. When I read his interview in Frets (?), about matching vintage tones and tunings to certain songs, I bought my first vintage instrument. I love the guy. Practice the song, make a video and post it. Pretend we're not here. Besides the Smeck and the CF100e, what was in the quiver? Thanks.

That's a lotta acoustic wood! How many of those guitars from "the quiver" got played?

Did he say why he didn't want you to film video of the "lesson?" Did he seem upset about it?

all of them got played. they're all in different tunings for different songs. everything is tuned 2 steps down. he wasn't upset but i could tell he didn't want me to do it so i didn't pursue it. i don't think i'd have been made to feel as welcome as i was if had been snapping a bunch of photos.

Jannusguy' date=' thanks for this post. I'm a huge Jackson Browne fan for more than 30 years. When I read his interview in Frets (?), about matching vintage tones and tunings to certain songs, I bought my first vintage instrument. I love the guy. Practice the song, make a video and post it. Pretend we're not here. Besides the Smeck and the CF100e, what was in the quiver? Thanks.[/quote']

there were 4 smecks, 2 from the 30's, a 94 centennial and a gorgeous 97. well, they were all gorgeous. 2 cfs, a 100 and 100e, an lg2, a takoma, 2 mcallisters, a d28, a baritone by a maker i don't recall. i'll post more as i remember them. assuming i can.

Ol' Clyde is one awesome guy. I first came across him in the late sixties when Nico did one of his songs and he did guitar for it. I then got every one of his albums from his eponymous in '72 on..... always felt like he was singing his troubles to me personally, and opening up more than most people too. Kinda lost interest in the mid-eighties when he got heavy political, and other stuff took over in my life. Sad to admit, but the Simpsons got me back in to him (he took off his own work in one episode.....) a few years back and I put on all the old vinyl and sought out stuff on line from more recent activities, and I have to say, the current mellow Browne is a real nice listen, next time you see him - tell him he's carried a few of us along for a long, long ride. I have nothing but admiration for the current stuff he's doing for Darfur, Tibet and other benefits.

He really IS one cool dude.

And I envy you your encounter. And that's a bad emotion, so let's just say I am real happy for you.

That's a great story! I've always been a JB fan. That CF-100e looks like it was re finished black. Is that just the lighting?

no, you're seeing it correctly. it's black. the other one had double pickguards. they both sounded fantastic. i had one for awhile and could never get any balls out of it. the sound out of these blew me away.

Great Story... Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see how "Down to Earth" people who we hold in such high regard can be.

Years ago I noticed James Taylor in the Toronto airport , and although he was a big inspiration I decided not to approach him, respecting his space. In retrospect I kinda wish I said something. Oh well...[biggrin]

Interesting, THE G - happened to me once with Duster Bennett.

Went to the bar to buy drinks and he was there - having just played a blinding set.

Well - I was waaay too cool to tell him I was a really big fan and had been catching

his gigs whenever he was in town, so we just chewed the fat over nothing of consequence.

He died driving back up to Birmingham when he crashed his van that evening.

Two big regrets:-

[1] I should have told him he was a great blueser and an inspiration to me and many others.

[2] I should have chatted longer, maybe invited him over to pass some time. Thanked him.

Just maybe he would have left a few minutes later and the universe would have moved on a bit.....

Ever you get a chance - tell your heroes and muses, your icons and inspirations just how you feel.

Life is too transient to worry about "being cool".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iERA9gycLg

Was this one of the Smecks? Looks like a rosewood Radio Grande' date=' pretty much my dream guitar.

I think he also plays a "Smeckalister", if I'm not mistaken. Tres cool.

[/quote']

yes, that one is the centennial model and the only one with rosewood. the other 3 were hog. i swear he was wearing that shirt yesterday too.

Great Story... Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see how "Down to Earth" people who we hold in such high regard can be.

Years ago I noticed James Taylor in the Toronto airport ' date=' and although he was a big inspiration I decided not to approach him, respecting his space. In retrospect I kinda wish I said something. Oh well...[-( [/quote']

Some artists are definetly "legends in their own mind". I've met others that you would never know the celebrity status that they hold. Doc Watson is just a normal fellow that you'd swear could be your grandfather! So humble. Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, unbelievably nice and polite. And the most approachable artist that has time for anyone that I've ever met was Lee Greenwood. A simply amazing talent! Success does inflame arrogance in some artists, but there are others who truly appreciate the opportunity to perform and share their talents with others. Those artists, for the most part, are always approachable by their fans.

Archived