Gibson Brands Forums

I want to punch this kids hair right in the face!!!

ShredAstaire

Fifteen years ago, the most extreme thing you could do with your hair, at least where I come from, is let it grow and declare in that manner that you are a rocker / metalhead. If someone had told me back then that in 10 years time boys will make appointments to hair saloons in order to look just like the boy in the picture, I would call him nuts! Now it happens.

''Men'' or ''modern men'' nowadays get their chest hair lasered-out. Permanently. Times change. People change. From the things that are different today, compared to 20 years ago, strange looks or more feminine looks for men are among the things that bother me the least. There are far more important issues to be sceptical and pesimistic about.

And whenever I see something that I don't like / accept at once, I think about the time when I was young and the things my father would find unacceptable and I would really like.

Yeah, I think it looks like **** and is too feminine (does he also wear mascara...?!)That doesn't mean I'm right.

P.S. The more ''feminine'' modern men look, the more women complain that there are no true men out there. We raise our market value. Fine by me![blush]

Back in the '60s I think it was a pretty successful little garage band called "The Barbarians" who did one called "Are you a boy or are you a girl." And they had long hair. As I recall, the drummer had a hook for one hand.

Hmmmmm. In this case, androgyny strikes again. When I was that age, being considered a "man" or a "woman" for teens was a big deal as opposed to having a degree of question as to which. In retrospect, that included even males and females who were more attracted to the same rather than the opposite sex although it wasn't something most folks talked about as they seem to do nowadays. The androgyny thing apparently came in far, far later.

As I said, mine never went into the "rock idol" appearance even in my rock days. It was too dangerous, too, given what I was doing at the time for both work and fun. Having a head drawn into a baler or caught on a power takeoff or in a martial arts move didn't sound like good ideas.

I dunno. As I said, mine was un-styled more along the lines of a guy too busy with livestock to get to town for a haircut, which wasn't always that far from the truth.

Ain't changed much the past 45 years or so, either, 'ceptin' the hair's a little thinner (I've threatened the barber with physical violence if he shows how he sheared the back of my head, for example), and definitely gray.

I guess the length on the pictured kid doesn't bug me at all so much as the "do" - and I won't lie to claim that at that age I wasn't equally "rebellious" - or actually more so 'cuz I rebelled as much against the rebellers as against "the old people." Hmmmm. No, don't ask. But let it be said that a "conservative grown-up" coat and tie and quotations from Shakespeare and T.S. Eliot can be as much of a mark of rebellion on a 15-year-old. <chortle>

Is it a boy? Or a girl? Or?????

Awwww, what the heck.

m

154hv8.jpg

Thoughts?

[cool]

If this is a guy' date=' he certainly looks no different than a young Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Ron Wood or any young rocker of the early to late 70's..... and maybe through the 80's.....

As far as my thoughts, never would have thought guitar players would grow so stuffy over something as someone else's image[confused'] .... Must be the new brave world we live in I guess.

Well...

I didn't think I was being "stuffy," just commenting on the change of culture since I was that age long, long ago.

Seriously, it's not that I find the androgyny offensive, but truly an interesting cultural artifact. It's come and gone as a youth "artifact" for centuries as far as I can tell - and largely to draw attention, at least in the past 1,000 years or so.

OTOH, I think it's interesting how youth has no idea what it will be like to be gray and perhaps bald and certainly wrinkled. And BTW, I know more than a few girls in my general age group who are as concerned about hair loss as any of the guys I know. The other vicissitudes we older folks admit to, even if we don't quite understand them, are stuff youth figures never truly will happen to them.

But...

Yeah, I think it's the nature of us older folk to kinda forget what it was that brought the sort of "bonding" that late pre-teens and teenagers will do in seeking "community" of some sort that might offer peer support.

As with other "cultish" sorts of behavior, one mode of reinforcing that always has been to take on styles of personal appearance that are designed to bring frowns from "outsiders" regardless of age.

Ain't changed much, as far as I can tell, from the era of ancient Greek writers, either. So... that's well over a cupla thousand years. <grin>

I'm still uncertain, though, whether that photo is a boy or a girl.

m

... a "conservative grown-up" coat and tie and quotations from Shakespeare and T.S. Eliot can be as much of a mark of rebellion on a 15-year-old. <chortle>

Good stuff' date=' the reverse rebellion maybe? I like it. Appropriation I believe it's sometimes called. Adopting the cultural characteristics of the oppressor...

Then there is the Alex P Keaton (Family Ties) syndrome - becoming a conservative to rebel against your liberal hippie parents...

On a personal note, I've had long hair, short hair, colored hair...

Now I like to wear ties to work on Friday - and only on Friday - when all the other teachers are wearing golf shirts and jeans. That's showing them, huh? [blush

surfpup...

Actually.... It had nothing to do with "the oppressor."

Y'see, I also had one of the very first transistor radios. If one wore it in the inside pocket of one's sportcoat, one might then also run the earphone up the sleeve and then sit in class or study hall listening to the radio. <grin> There were so few of them around circa 1960 that nobody ever caught on.

Again, the combination of the leather jacket and the necktie and Shakespeare and... left folks kinda flamboozled which was, of course, exactly what I had in mind given I was quite physically small and slow to physically mature.

Besides, the reeeeeeeally tough guys in those days didn't wear motorcycle jackets, they wore suits. Who wants to look like a punk when you can be a reeeeeeeally bad guy?

Ah, the outlooks of youth from which I was far from immune. <chuckle>

'Twas a method to my madness. Truly. Also truly adolescent madness but... 'twas a method to it.

Frown on, you heavens, effect your rage with speed.

Sit, gods, upon your thrones, and smile at Troy.

I say at once let your brief plagues be mercy,

And linger not our sure destructions on.

.... Troilus and Cressida... Wm. of Stratford, the immoral bard...

m

Here's the kicker -

Think how much time he spent in the bathroom developing that look to the perfection you see....

Now he's so proud' date=' he's taking pics of himself!!!

When's the last time YOU accomplished something that pleased you so?

[-(

Okay, I'm just pulling your leg....

If he walked past me in the mall I wouldn't look twice.

On second thought, I'd probably stare at him if he was foolish enough to make eye contact.

I'm usually not kind to those who so shamelessly seek attention at any cost - I give 'em what they want.

[cool][lol]

hahaha [lol]

You would have to run a DNA check to make sure it's not a girl. Hitting girls is a no no

:P

You have some serious issues.... Why do you care what he wants to look like. You remind me of my father who couldn't stand the fact that I wanted to have long hair when I was a kid..... Grow up if you don't like his look quit looking at his photo.... Easy!

[cool] Got that right. [biggrin]:-$ :-$

Archived