Gibson Brands Forums

panic

EVOL!

Yesterday at rehearsal I was jamming out on my SG and I looked down at the neck joint. There is a hair line "crack" going from where the fretboard meets the neck all the way around to the other side where the fretboard meets the neck. It runs perfectly perpendicular to the edge where the neck's heel meets the body. It sent some chills down my spine.

So, my question is - is there anyway to tell if this is a crack in just the finish or if it is the wood starting to split? The guitar plays fine otherwise and if I run my fingers over the "crack" I don't really feel it.

I'll post pictures later tonight.

When I got my Explorer I had to return it because of this exactly, I had that option so I did.

Who knows if that is just a finish crack, wood expanding at different rates...I say as long as it wasn't due to an impact it should be alright, I mean it is what it is.

Thanks. I am a little less worried. Still going to take it in next week. We are auditioning a bass player Sunday so I don't want to be without my main axe.

Just for fun, here is another photo. Just got the camera so I looked up the digital macro function. The white line running parallel to the fretboard is from the flash. The crack is almost perfectly perpendicular to the 19th fret.

957_IMG_0034.JPG

On my SG which has a natural finish that is right where the joint is from neck to body. If I run a finger nail over it I can barely feel it.

So that would be the exact place for any movement in the two pieces of wood. As long as it does'nt expand it should be ok I would hope.

the crack is in the finish due to shrinkage.

Nothing to worry about unless it starts splitting

That would be my assessment.

I know it's a moot point to tell you not to worry about it, but you're fine.

I could see some unrelieved stress residing in that neck joint, the finish cracked when it expanded slightly.

My guess is that it's done and the crack will expand very little from now on.

I dunno...

That hasn't been my experience SB.

Even my 2007 Goldtop already has a couple nitro cracks on the top.

All I can figure is that it's from assembly when they pushed the pots thru the shaft holes, since that's where they start. Probably cracked some paint away with the posts, or when the shaft nuts were tightened - then spread out.

None of my old poly finish stuff is cracking at all.

Archived