Gibson Brands Forums

Why isnt there a left handed Firebird

Nate

Basically what I want to know is why isnt there a left handed version of the firebird. I've always loved that guitar, and have always wanted one but unfortunately there arent any in lefty models, i've thought of getting a reverse and flipping it over but the knobs would still be up top and not where they should be. Is there anyway to get a Firebird model V in lefty configuration?

Well, years ago I paid money to have a left-handed ES 175 built. They took my money but said it would take 1 year. I waited, after 14 months I went back to the dealer who called to see what was happening. They decided they weren't going to make it and sent me my check back. So, I suppose even if you order something custom, they are under no obligation to make anything, even with a check in hand. Being left-handed is HARD!!!!

• 3 years later...

Basically what I want to know is why isnt there a left handed version of the firebird. I've always loved that guitar, and have always wanted one but unfortunately there arent any in lefty models, i've thought of getting a reverse and flipping it over but the knobs would still be up top and not where they should be. Is there anyway to get a Firebird model V in lefty configuration?

I just bought a real left handed firebird v in lefty [not that 70s tribute bound neck ,but a real neck through

post-54536-075359700 1363638031_thumb.jpg

I just bought a real left handed firebird v in lefty [not that 70s tribute bound neck ,but a real neck through

Gibson does offer Firebirds as left handed. There are three colors, Classic White, Ebony, and Vintage Sunburst. I suggest you check with a Gibson dealer that specializes in left handed guitars, like Southpaw Guitars in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, years ago I paid money to have a left-handed ES 175 built. They took my money but said it would take 1 year. I waited, after 14 months I went back to the dealer who called to see what was happening. They decided they weren't going to make it and sent me my check back. So, I suppose even if you order something custom, they are under no obligation to make anything, even with a check in hand. Being left-handed is HARD!!!!

I suppose even if you order something custom, they are under no obligation to make anything, even with a check in hand.

I'm guessing that whoever ran/runs the CS order acceptance dept. there had their head screwed on backwards. Legally and as a matter of good business practice, if you provide a completion timeframe and take a downpayment, it is hardly reasonable on their part to wait for you to chase them up (rather than contacting you first) and then turn around to say that they are not intending to complete the order. Whilst I'm a righty, that kind of business practice is clearly indicative of serious management failings.

This behavior on any manufacturer's / service provider's part is the reason they get sued all the time. On the brighter side, at least they've returned the cheque to you in full.

As to lefty guitars en general, yes, they are rather more difficult to locate than RH models. I would certainly consider a custom build from another luthier if G would refuse, provided you're flexible with your brand preference.

Archived