Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual Chet Atkins SST ???

Robert West

Just joined the forum. Been a player and guitar builder for too long to mention. Found a 1987 Chet Atkins SST (first year production model with the spruce top, mock sound hole, and dot neck). I'm redoing the guitar and have discovered the body is Walnut. This is verified by a stamp inside the sound hole under the Chet Atkins signature insert. The Walnut is really beautiful, but everything I can find on this model indicates it should have a Mahogany body. Does anyone know if this was an option? If not, I wonder if I got my hands on an early prototype.

Thanks for any information offered.

RW

Sounds interesting. It seems like it's not uncommon to come across unusual or off-spec Gibsons (as well as misinformation in books and magazines). In some models, like the latest version of the ES 135, it seems like the builders were getting saucy and adding all kind of personal touches to the extent that they're frequently appointed very differently. I have a mahogany flying V that 'the books' say wasn't made of mahogany.

If you are able to post pictures, I bet more people will chime in (besides, it's just such a cool model to look at - and one you don't see every day). Good luck getting to the bottom of it.

Archived