Gibson Brands Forums

jimi hendrix...whats the big deal?

S t e v e

I saw a BB King interview in which he spoke about being on tour in the mid 60's on the "Chitlin circut" with Little Richard when Jimi was playing with Richard's. BB said he was a sponge. He said he really enjoyed the short time they toured together. That must have been a cool show!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I try and tell you why I think Hendrix might be a big deal.....

(and repeat most of what has been said already)

I saw him when he first came to the UK and I would say it's mainly

because he re-wrote the book on guitar playing as entertainment.

My first Hendrix gig was about his tenth or twentieth in the UK. He got here in September of '66

and the word was big on the street after a gig where he jammed with Cream and made EC look pedestrian.

I knew I had to see/hear what the truth of it was, because Clapton was deemed pretty fine at the time.

I saw Jimi the first time at a tiny local club in Belsize Park, London (Haverstock Hill Country Club)

where the guys knew me and let me slip in the side-door being as I was "under-age".

Hendrix walked past me on the way to the stage, winked and said "hi kid", and then proceeded

to do notes, chords, runs and riffs with such panache and style that it just rocked me back on my heels.

I was hooked - this man could show guitar players things they hadn't even dreamt of - so I hung around

a number of gigs, never able to get in but could hear through the stage door, until he did the Roundhouse,

a venue down the road where I spent most weekends (unhappy home life.....). That was early in '67,

and I was hooked, caught him several times through '67 - UFO, Saville Theatre, The Marquee (with Nice),

Imperial College (with Queen before they were Queen), a BBC recording session at the Playhouse,

a massive Albert Hall gig with Floyd, the giant Christmas gig at Olympia.....

in fact, thereafter probably one in four of the gigs he did in The Smoke. Hooked.

There is a recording around of him playing blues on a 12-string acoustic,

and in it his charisma just oozes out of every note and slur.

There are plenty of recordings of him playing electrics.

They range from apallingly banal cliche ridden sloppiness to magically inspired breathtaking pieces of genius.

And THAT'S the big deal. He had no boundarys, no safe limits, he went where others feared to go,

in fact where others didn't even know you could go, and he did it with style.

When it didn't work he moved on with no regret, when it did work he opened the guitar players envelope

and threw it away. He is more than "just" the guitar playing.

A lot of the guys you maybe think (and I probably think) are great NOW,

are standing on the shoulders of giants like Greeny, Beck, Page, Clapton, Gallagher,

Lonnie Mack, Django, Burl, Chet and Duane - and Hendrix.

Yah don't have to like him - but open minded delving into his catalogue will teach you a lot.

Great point!!!

But the thing I don't understand is if you don't like a certain player' date=' then what's the point in starting a thread about it[confused'] .... C'mon there's gotta be better things to do with your time[blink] ...LOL!!!

Oh well...

because i wanted to see what the fuss was all about B)

anyway thanks for all your input in my "pointless" thread, just wanted to see what you guys had to say about him and what makes him a great player in your eyes...[lol]

Some great views already on the thread, for and against. I love Jimi myself, I really do. Here are two great quotes by two fantastic living players.

From the latest edition of Guitar Techniques (came in the post 30 minutes ago)

Eric Clapton

"First time I ever met him, we were playing at the central London Polytechnic. Harvey Goldsmith was the promoter-he was the Entertainments secretary of the Student's Union-and Jimi came along with Chas Chandler. I don't know how long he'd been over here, maybe a couple of days, but he got up and played. He was doing Howlin Wolf songs and I couldn't believe this guy, I couldn't believe it. Part of me wanted to run aaay and say, 'Oh no, this is what I want to be-I can't handle this'. And part of me just fell in love. It was a really difficult thing for me to deal with but I just ahd to surrender and say, 'This is fantastic'..."

Joe Satriani

"99 percent of the time when I am playing on stage I am thinking about Jimi Hendrix"

So' date=' stevejoshlay1 - who do YOU like, who do you rate as an innovative and groundbreaking guitarist.....

Help give us old farts some perspective on your point of view (some of us are actually willing to learn too)

why have you hilighted my name and other words?, have i upset people? jesus christ i only asked for your opinions on the man! wouldn't of botherd if i'd known that some of you were gonna take it so seriously...[thumbup]

because i wanted to see what the fuss was all about [biggrin]

anyway thanks for all your input in my "pointless" thread' date=' just wanted to see what you guys had to say about him and what makes him a great player in your eyes...[biggrin

I don't think it's a fuss.....

But it's more on how you presented it[confused] ..... You knowing there are a ton of Hendrix fans, and you basically state that those that like Hendrix basically don't have a basis for thinking he's good[confused] ..... And the main reason Jimi gets the notoriety he does is because he died young[blink] ... Pretty chicken-sh** statement if you ask me.

This threads reminds me when a poster makes a thread about knocking RO, R9 and R8 reissue guitars...... And can't understand why people buy them, and questions their decisions for the purchase...... IMO a train-wreck of a thread in the making.

In a nut shell, you put the target on this thread so you're gonna have to deal with the rebuttals........ Or if you want, I can shut it down[cool]

I think you had a valid question. You didn't come out saying "Hendrix sucks" or something like that. You just stated that you didn't "get it". I think a lot of people may feel that way about him.

I was too young to remember him when he was around. I didn't discover him until the 80s. But I think it's important to consider the time. Back then, I don't think guitarist spent so much time learning riffs and techniques. They learned music. You know chords, melodies, song structure stuff like that.You can tell by listening to Hendrix that he had a very deep understanding of music. Not just riffs and scales. His psycodelic stuff would not have worked if he didn't have a strong musical foundation underneath all the noise and effects.

Now days, it might seem tame, but back then what he did was ground breaking. It's not so hard to emulate what came before, and then just take it up a notch. Like in the post Van Halen era, many guitar players started practicing technique and scales, two hand tapping etc. for hours on end. So of course they play much faster and more accurately. Even SRV, I think put a lot of effort into learning the styles and techniques of Hendrix and others. Whereas, someone like Jimi, just played his style naturally and he didn't calculate how he was doing it and obsess over his picking pattern etc.

I don't care for all Jimi's songs, but I do appreciate what a brilliant musician and guitar player he was. I also realize that not everyone will feel the same way [biggrin]

Yea, I don't think there is need to get touchy, it is a fair question. I actually think is ballsy to ask the question as for sure some people would get defensive, (like I do when people try to blow off Hetfield for instance).

A guy told me here in Nashville, man, there are only two kinds of music, the music you like and the music you don't. It is just that simple.

It is hard to quite understand for a newer generation how big Jimi was at the same time a lot of the older generation closed their minds to new music later on. I am sure if we start a thread about George Lynch a lot of people would not even know who he is.

Also sometimes when we examine a guitar player we do it on a vaccuum and there are many more ingredients in the mix, like the "you had to be there" thing good songwriting, style, performances, etc.

Whoah there my thin-skinned and touchy friend.....

[1] I highlight the name of EVERY person I refer to,

to make forum member's names stand out from the general melee of the

thread so that we can see them more easily - it makes them look more

like the name above your avatar. Like this, I am G u e s t rather than a guest,

and you, in turn, are stevjoshlay1 a fellow forumite.

It is a display of respect and marks our names out as "of significance".

[2] I highlighted certain words like you might emphasis them in face to face conversation, like this:-

"Well Steve, you've heard what WE like, tell us a little about what YOU like man....."

And the question was just that - a straight, no bull question - I wanted to know is all.

[3] I self deprecatingly referred to myself (and possibly others here) as "old farts" and

tried to let you know that some of us realise that we never stop learning,

and thus are actually interested in what you might have to say,

just as you wanted to know what WE had to say.

Several have given you the opinions you sought out in the OP.....

.....was it too much to politely ask you what your opinion was on related stuff?

am i the only person who thinks that jimi hendrix is only this famous because he's dead?' date=' [b']i will prob upset a lot of players here [/b]when i say that i dont think he was THAT good! i love the guitar and there are a lot of players that inspire me but hendrix is not one of them, i'm not some snotty nosed new kid on the block i'm 32 and listen to the greats like jimmy page, richie blackmoore, gary moore and some fantastic technical players like steve vai, van halen, malmsteen...but i never did get this thing about hendrix that so many players bang on about, i dont own any of his music and could only name a handfull of songs that he done, ive tried listening to his music but it bores me, i like robert cray, buddy guy, albert king, but jimi does nothing for me...[biggrin]

/chuckle... aaaand yet you say you don't understand why people are upset? That "if you'd only known" you would not have started the thread....

Methinks you are being disingenuous. Given your "why is everybody pickin' on me?!?" responses, perhaps even somewhat troll-like. It's a shame too, because these guys can really break down an artist in a serious thread.

[angry]

I think you had a valid question. You didn't come out saying "Hendrix sucks" or something like that. You just stated that you didn't "get it". I think a lot of people may feel that way about him.

Hi Saturn

That is how I saw it Saturn. A lot of people I think, especially today, with so many more technically proficient guitarists around naturally question Jimi Hendrix' importance and validity.

Pupils over the years too have said (almost with embarrassment and shame) that they too don't understand what the fuss is about with Jimi. It is a good question to ask if you feel that way and want to explore what it is about him that excites people.

Also, people being people, are often 'sheep like' with adoration and do jump on the band wagon, if a name/brand are popular to follow. This happens in sport probably more than music!

If I didn't love Jimi, I would probably being wanting to know what the fuss is about him.

Matt

OK - here's the deal guys. I think this COULD be a good thread to learn stuff on.

I am really interested in what stevejoshlay1 (a) actually thinks of Hendrix and

([biggrin] who he thinks is influentual and ground breaking in the guitar field.

I want to know what he thinks. I want to learn. How else am I going to be

exposed to new and different talent, that's one of the reasons I come here.

And I particularily want to know what stevejoshlay1 has to say because

I respect his musical tastes since he is obviously a fan of Gary Moore.

Gary presented a program on BBC Radio 2 a while back - a Jimi Hendrix documentary,

and it was seeing Hendrix way back in the 60's in Belfast that really made Gary sit up

and pay attention to the blues guitar. And though Greeny was a major influence,

Gary has always held Hendrix in high esteem. Food for thought, n'est pas.

Let me quote Gary:-

"I started off playing guitar in the ’60s, when I was just ten years old.

The people who were popular at that time were Hank Marvin and the Shadows.

There weren’t really many guitarists around. The next big change was when the Beatles came along,

and I was really into George Harrison. I loved his melodic style and his inventiveness.

Then the real big turning point came when the British blues boom hit with Eric Clapton, John Mayall,

Peter Green, and then Jimi Hendrix came along. I started listening to all the blues guys like B.B. King

and Albert King. It kind of still goes back to those guys, and I think my playing is a combination of all

of those elements, really, but at some point it came together and became my own style."

Now Gary and I go back aways - we used to jam at the Iroko Club, on the very same stage

where I first saw Hendrix play. He and Phil and Ginger Johnson's boys and anybody who would turn up.

I even did odd roady jobs for Gary when he had the Marquee residency, just so as I could watch him

play on and off the stage, trying to learn what it took. And Gary has many influences, believe me.

Oh - and "that" Les Paul - played by Peter Green, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher and then by Gary,

I’ve played it too. Gary said it was a very special instrument, a big old battle axe. Gary swore Greeny didn't

much like the guitar because the neck was too big. Well I agree with Peter. But Peter and Gary sounded

awesome on it. I was crap.

But I am STILL learning and willing to learn.....

strange post to read and who knows maybe something learned. Guess the bottom line is if you get Hendricks you understand why he's so famous and nobody has to explain it. If you don't that's fine but come on if you don't get Hendricks and those like him that changed the world of guitar playing you got to face the facts your probably a drummer...

A while ago I learned that being influential does not mean you have to be the greatest.

John Lee Hooker is not a great guitar player and yet he inspired me to to pick the guitar again and I love his music, once I discovered him I was hooked (pun intended).

I never cared for KISS but I do realize that there is a huge number of great bands and guitarists that were highly influenced by KISS and Ace Frehley, KISS is the only reason a lot of good bands exist.

Personally never got into them or Ace but I respect their legacy, I mean that is the same as one of the points some of you are trying to make with Hendrix.

Next time we have a thread about the 80's and the greatest guitarists of that decade some of these questions may be going the other way.[laugh]

OK - here's the deal guys. I think this COULD be a good thread to learn stuff on.

I am really interested in what stevejoshlay1 (a) actually thinks of Hendrix and

([cool] who he thinks is influentual and ground breaking in the guitar field.

I want to know what he thinks. I want to learn. How else am I going to be

exposed to new and different talent' date=' [u']that's one of the reasons I come here[/u].

And I particularily want to know what stevejoshlay1 has to say because

I respect his musical tastes since he is obviously a fan of Gary Moore.

Gary presented a program on BBC Radio 2 a while back - a Jimi Hendrix documentary,

and it was seeing Hendrix way back in the 60's in Belfast that really made Gary sit up

and pay attention to the blues guitar. And though Greeny was a major influence,

Gary has always held Hendrix in high esteem. Food for thought, n'est pas.

Let me quote Gary:-

"I started off playing guitar in the ’60s, when I was just ten years old.

The people who were popular at that time were Hank Marvin and the Shadows.

There weren’t really many guitarists around. The next big change was when the Beatles came along,

and I was really into George Harrison. I loved his melodic style and his inventiveness.

Then the real big turning point came when the British blues boom hit with Eric Clapton, John Mayall,

Peter Green, and then Jimi Hendrix came along. I started listening to all the blues guys like B.B. King

and Albert King. It kind of still goes back to those guys, and I think my playing is a combination of all

of those elements, really, but at some point it came together and became my own style."

Now Gary and I go back aways - we used to jam at the Iroko Club, on the very same stage

where I first saw Hendrix play. He and Phil and Ginger Johnson's boys and anybody who would turn up.

I even did odd roady jobs for Gary when he had the Marquee residency, just so as I could watch him

play on and off the stage, trying to learn what it took. And Gary has many influences, believe me.

Oh - and "that" Les Paul - played by Peter Green, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher and then by Gary,

I’ve played it too. Gary said it was a very special instrument, a big old battle axe. Gary swore Greeny didn't

much like the guitar because the neck was too big. Well I agree with Peter. But Peter and Gary sounded

awesome on it. I was crap.

But I am STILL learning and willing to learn.....

nice read, thanks mate...gary is my main influence on guitar and i honestly didn't want to upset jimi fans with this topic i just wanted there opinion thats all, but certain people (in not so many words) implied it was a pointless thread! if it's pointless then dont comment on it and move on!, it was actualy the band (no doubt) that made me want to pick up guitar after seeing them live many moons ago and being brought up on likes of the eagles, ozzy, fleetwood mac, meatloaf, thin lizzy, whitesnake, floyd, acdc...but i never got the jimi hendrix expearence!, maybe i'm ignorant to jimi's playing and should give him a propper listen and i think i will!. p.s richie blackmoore rocks my 70's boat [laugh]

I know I am going a little off the original topic but I think of some people like Sylvester Stallone who while not a great actor in the way Johnny Depp or Ian Mckellen are, does what he does very well. Hopkins couldn't have been Rocky! That was made for Stallone.

The same with guitarists-some are just right for what they do. There are some guitarists I can listen to and scratch my head in confusion as I know by conventional standards many surpass them but they have that magic something that makes them right for that purpose.

Matt

Archived