Gibson Brands Forums

What should I get for Christmas?

slashadler

Fred61' date=' have you played through on yet? I keep hearing that the Class5 won't be available in the states now until December due to delays with Celestion. I imagine that a few have probably made their way over here, or ... maybe I need to check around; maybe the Celestion has caught up with Marshall's demand for that speaker, and the amp IS readily available over here....

Anyway, I want one. Nobody seems much impressed with the Haze, but all of the advance reviews I've read rave about the Class5. Right now, that's what I would spend 400 bucks on.[/quote']

Yes I did, at my local SamAsh, they have a few in stock.

The tonal abilities are great, I love playing it especially with a Les Paul because switching between the pickups, you can have the clean and dirty channels. I am definitely going to be getting one, the only question is to get a Night Train first or after the Class5.

The volume control on the Marshall is very responsive. It is truly one of the only amps that I really want. It is a great amp and very lightweight also, I was thoroughly impressed, I played it for an hour and then they made me leave the store because they closed [biggrin]

I didn't even notice.....

Oh, and I did get a chance to play through a Haze 40 Combo, I wasn't that impressed with it. It has decent sound, but I won't buy one.

Neo- I don't know about slashadler's situation, but my parents don't give me an allowance, I am expected to do work around the house, not because I get paid for it, but because it needs to be done. That being said, my parents give me money or smaller gifts occasionally because they want to. I know plenty of kids around me that make 200 dollars A WEEK for allowance and don't have to do anything.

I am very low maintenance, and my parents do tend to spend a little more money during my birthday and Christmas. Last birthday they put in 500 towards my Studio. I am very grateful for my parents and all they do for me.

Right, wrong, indifferent it is what is

I just bought my Marshall a few months ago so i dont want a better one. Im speaking in terms of effects or accessories..

Sooo.....you have a gibby and a Marshall. US$ 400 on effects? Perhaps you can get yourself a Boss GT-10 (must be around this price...) and be done for the rest of your life. But I would not buy a digital multi-effect... If you go with small pedals, the options are endless. what do you need? And overdrive and a delay? A delay and a phaser? A phaser and a flanger?

wild guess...?

Get a Crunch Box, a MXR EVH flanger & MXR EVH phaser. that's my take on the subject...

Well...

I guess I'll offer a suggestion that's a bit outside the box.

Epi dot or Epi 175 copy from one of the mail order places or a great "sale," a decent setup and strings.

Yeah, they're not Gibsons, but the parentage is rather obvious.

Why? Especially for a young player used to solid bodies, an archtop or semi-hollow is an introduction to a different sort of sound at minimum, and certainly a different feel that opens the world to different styles of performance.

I'd prefer to see the 175, but the dot might "look" better for what a young picker may play, and not feed back.

Frankly I wouldn't mind the two above mentioned guitars myself for a number of reasons, some economic, some simply a matter of GAS.

Pedals are cool, I've got a couple, and when I was in my 20s, I got into some early ones myself. Tube amps are fine, but up to $400 limit, I don't think they really have the horsepower to gig decently unless they can be miked through a PA. A $400 pre-assembled amp/speaker PA rig might, to me, make better sense for a beginning band.

If gigging is in the near future, a decent solid state amp with good speakers and some horsepower can be upgraded with a tube pedal, etc., etc.

I'd still go with the epis because I see them mostly as opening new worlds of playing style and tone for a young guy. But then I've got the amp horsepower, plus, for any venue I'm likely to play.

m

Looking at your sig you seem to have the guitar, amp, and a few pedals to get by for quite a while. I don't see the sense in spending $400 on anything right now. Save it towards another guitar or a new amp.

I have no idea as to what skill level you are at, but maybe invest it in lessons?

Or a big bag of picks. With custom print.

Yeah, I'd go with he custom picks personally.

I simply do not have a response for that.

God help them if reality ever enters their world.

They were complaining how their parents LOWERED it [biggrin]

I can't believe that, if my parents give me 10 bucks so I don't have to spend my own money that I earn on a movie, I am happy.

Some could say I am spoiled because my parents helped out quite a bit for my Gibson on my birthday, I just am thankful for parents who support me.

It's all point of view I suppose, but a lot of people have lost the value of a dollar

My 2 cents (no pun intended)

• 3 weeks later...
I simply do not have a response for that.

God help them if reality ever enters their world.

Touché [crying]

I can personally vouch for the C5. Get one. Now' date='or whenever they become available...BUT,wait until they do become OFFICIALLY released wherever you may be as there are(I hear)sellers offloading the unrectified rattlers that you've heard about.

But mine is sweet...

They were complaining how their parents LOWERED it [biggrin]

I can't believe that' date=' if my parents give me 10 bucks so I don't have to spend my own money that I earn on a movie, I am happy.

[b']Some could say I am spoiled because my parents helped out quite a bit for my Gibson on my birthday, I just am thankful for parents who support me.[/b]

It's all point of view I suppose, but a lot of people have lost the value of a dollar

My 2 cents (no pun intended)

Ok I'll say it YOU ARE SPOILED!!! (no pun intended)

Ok I'll say it YOU ARE SPOILED!!! (no pun intended)

I am, but if you look at this way, they said I earned it. It is their money and I won't say it wasn't extravagant, but a gift none the less.

I really don't care what you guys say, I worked 40 hours a week for my dad from 530am-3pm for the past two summers.

Hi Fred

You come across to me like a decent young man who is lucky to have supportive parents. My mum and dad when I was younger, supported me with my music making too. My dad is very unmusical and by his own admission doesn't understand it, which makes me even more moved that he still offered the encouragement he did.

My parents were not wealthy by any means, but they saw to it that I had a top notch Yamaha piano to learn on (the 1989 price was c. £2000-so not cheap!)- and also a decent Classical guitar; not to mention expensive tuition fees.[biggrin]

I am so grateful to them for all their help and encouragement. Like you I worked too; 13-15 as a paper boy and then when I got to 15, I started earning money teaching the guitar. I wasn't 'spoiled' but hell I was very fortunate. As I believe many of us are in the western world.

Cheers to you Fred

Matt

Hi Fred

You come across to me like a decent young man who is lucky to have supportive parents. My mum and dad when I was younger' date=' supported me with my music making too. My dad is very unmusical and by his own admission doesn't understand it, which makes me even more moved that he still offered the encouragement he did.

My parents were not wealthy by any means, but they saw to it that I had a top notch Yamaha piano to learn on (the 1989 price was c. £2000-so not cheap!)- and also a decent Classical guitar; not to mention expensive tuition fees.[blush

I am so grateful to them for all their help and encouragement. Like you I worked too; 13-15 as a paper boy and then when I got to 15, I started earning money teaching the guitar. I wasn't 'spoiled' but hell I was very fortunate. As I believe many of us are in the western world.

Cheers to you Fred

Matt

Thanks

My dad used to play saxophone and cello, so he understands music, but not so much guitar [biggrin]

They are very supportive and would rather see me spend my money with some help from them on a Gibson, instead of an Epiphone.

When we walked into the store, I had no inentions of walking out with a guitar. I sat and jammed with the VM Studio for about an hour and a half, and my mom liked it but suggested other stuff to play. A little while later, while I was still playing, a random guy started playing across from me and was AMAZING!

When my mom saw that I was at least trying to keep up with him and playing chords and stuff, she said she saw a "new respect for me" and saw that I wasn't going to just be a bedroom player, and I guess that sparked the idea of putting in for a Gibson.

8 months later, played our first show and rocked!

We hope to have some gigs lined up soon

Good on you Fred.

A few years back a kid I taught (not a kid now!- as he is studied for an MA in sound engineering) would always be buying new microphones, amps, guitars- you name it! His parents put money to many of the things he saved for and being very industrious, he was making websites for people and getting cash to fund his love for music[cool]

When I said to my dad about it and joked "that kid I teach spends so much on gear"; my dad said, "It is actually good he has a passion like music and is so devoted to it; as he could be spending it all on drugs".

To paraphrase Mr Forest Gump "That is all I have to say about that"

Matt

Yeah, Fred...

There are a lot worse things you could be doing and spending cash on than guitars.

On the other hand...

Don't screw up school practicing over 8 hours a day. <grin> And... yeah, that's experience speaking.

m

Yeah' date=' Fred...

There are a lot worse things you could be doing and spending cash on than guitars.

On the other hand...

Don't screw up school practicing over 8 hours a day. <grin> And... yeah, that's experience speaking.

m

[/quote']

Mighty words of wisdom from M again. :-

Take heed.

Archived