Gibson Brands Forums

What's a good beginner Ukulele?

ChrisA83

Hope this isn't too none Gibson related, but I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas.

Nothing fancy, probably for around £50. There are loads out there from what seems to be basic Mahalo ones for £20 through to expensive Martins. I've seen a few mentions of the Lanikai LU21 as a decent beginner's model - it's all Nato wood (not sure what this is though). I've seen some solid top Staggs which look pretty good, and I know they make OK mid-level guitars. Ideally I want one with geared tuners (or do I?).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Edit: Soprano size seems to be the most common so that's what I want to go for

I've tried several of the Martin's and just didn't like the tone. I tried an all mahogany Martin that wasn't cheap, it sounded like it was stuffed with socks. Ymmv of course. I have a KALA (made in China), nicely made, appears to be a spruce top with what appears to be koa b/s, solid no-name tuners, and a decent case, for just a little south of $100 USD. Good tone and a nice little instrument. I'm gassin for a baritone.

Hope this isn't too none Gibson related' date=' but I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas.[/quote']

Actually, Gibson made some great ukes back in the day. But you probably won't find one in your price range.

Nothing fancy' date=' probably for around £50. There are loads out there from what seems to be basic Mahalo ones for £20 through to expensive Martins.[/quote']

My recommendation would be to spend a little more than the Lanakai (or Dennis's Kala, which is admittedly a nice choice for the money, especially if you want a little more mellow "Hawaiian" tone) and go for a Fluke or Flea (starting around US$150). Very non-traditional construction, but they have a bright, traditional tone that is missing in the inexpensive all-wood models. Some excellent pro players use these on stage and for recording. (But then, Roy Smeck used his signature model Harmony on one of his uke albums, and those are pretty terrible.) The next step up would be a good quality Chinese-built all-solid mahogany Martin copy, such as a Hamano (starting around US$225). These can be quite nice, much better than the low-end modern Martins. Think $500 Blueridge guitar vs $700 Martin guitar. (The high-end modern Martins are nice, but way over-priced.)

Ideally I want one with geared tuners (or do I?).

Sopranos -- even top-of-the-line models -- traditionally come with friction tuners. They work just fine.

-- Bob R

The tuning pegs on just about every uke I've seen are pretty bad.

A lot of people -- not necessarily you! -- have trouble with friction tuners either because they don't have them adjusted properly or because they never learned the technique for using them. But it's absolutely true that some people just don't like them. I have banjo tuners on my tenor resonator' date=' which is a big heavy uke that isn't unbalanced by the extra weight, and they're okay.

If you want a traditional appearance and a geared tuner, Pegheds are the way to go. I don't know if the website mentions it, but they do make them for ukes -- pretty much like the violin pegs, but shorter.

-- Bob R

Also check out Bushman. A little pricier' date=' but very good quality. Ce[/quote']

+1

I like the Hamanos better, both appearance-wise and tone-wise, but these are another great choice in that price range.

-- Bob R

Archived