Gibson Brands Forums

Odd problem with Les Paul Studio neck

trapdoorspider

My Classic White Les Paul Studio has lived in its case in my home since I purchased it new in 2008. I've always babied it and kept it clean and perfect. Yesterday, when I took it out to play, I had a shock. I noticed that the clearcoat finish applied to the side of the fingerboard (on the SIDE of the neck) has "popped off" at the ends of many frets, and also at the small round fret markers (the ones on the sides of the neck).

So now my perfect and beautiful Les Paul has a ragged-looking and rough-feeling neck. What happened while it was just sitting in the case? It wasn't like that the last time I took it out.

I read somewhere this can happen if the neck dries out and shrinks just a bit. Since the frets don't (and can't) shrink, that pops off the varnish that covers the ends of them.

But: I have some 20 other Les Pauls and SGs, also kept in my home, and they are fine, so I don't know why this particular guitar was affected like this. Some of the others also have an ebony fretboard, so you can't say it's the wood on that one guitar.

So my questions are: 1) What can I do about it?, and 2) Would this be covered under the warranty?

Many thanks,

Michael

I got mine used some if it was already gone some was still there, acidentally picked more off, don't really care, feels fine to me but I have no remedies. You are talking about the finish covering the dots on the side of the fretboard right?

... the clearcoat finish applied to the side of the fingerboard (on the SIDE of the neck) has "popped off" at the ends of many frets' date=' and also at the small round fret markers (the ones on the sides of the neck). ...I have some 20 other Les Pauls and SGs... [/quote']

Holy smoke, 20 other gibbies... man, you've got worse GAS then me.

Anyway, if none of your other guitars have problems (meaning no problems with temp or humidity fluctuations), that neck/fretboard must not have been dried out properly. The wood gave up moisture and shrank, making the fret ends pop out a hair, as well as the side markers. I'm not sure if Gibson would cover that, but you can always call C/S. Good luck.

Call Gibson custmer Service and get a Return mail Code.

Pay the Shipping to get it back to Gibson and most likely

they will send you a Brand new Standard back.

First they will ask you if that's O.K. and if you are Attached to the

one you sent them.

Be ready to wait because the hole deal will take about 2 months

and hurry-up because they don't like to Warranty Finish Problems

on a Guitar that about a Year old.

Archived