Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Problem On Les Paul With the A Note

r167

Hey Guys,

I have a Les Paul Smartwood guitar and when I play the A note on the G string 2nd fret, G string 14th fret, B string 10th fret, B string 22nd fret, high E string 5ft fret and high E string 17th fret the note doesn't sustain for me. I had this problem on my Vigier too and now I have it on my Les Paul. I tune to regular A=440 tuning.

Here's what I've done to investigate:

* Changed strings and it still happens. The strings are Ernie Ball 10s brand new sealed packet.

* Checked that the frets were level and they are all 100% perfect to the best of my knowledge.

* Checked the action of the strings and it's set up perfectly too. I have my action 1.96mm between the bottom of the high E at the 12th fret and 2mm on the bass side - this is Gibson's own recommendations.

* Checked the height of my pickups and again I have them set exactly the Gibson's specs and there's no problem there.

* Checked my truss rod and there is a little clearance between at the 6th fret when I fret the low E at the 1st and 14th frets. There is no string buzz on my guitar anywhere.

* Checked the intonation and it's as good as I can get it. The intonation all over the neck is accurate too.

I'm out of ideas....I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s. This happens whether the amp is clean, distorted, loud or at regular volume. Of course, loud there is a little more sustain but not much. The note would ring out on those areas for about 2 seconds then die off.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it my technique causing this? Even when I bend into an A note the same thing happens..

Can you please explain what you mean by a fretout?
A "fretout" happens when the frets touch a string' date=' inhibiting it's ability to vibrate freely.

Common causes:

A.) 1 or more frets are higher than the other frets (which would require a fret level)

B.) 1 or more frets are loose (which would require them to be reset or tapped back down)

C.) The frets are uneven due to wear (which would require a level and redressing/recrowning)

Another [VERY'] common cause could be that the neck, or more specifically the trus rod, might need to be adjusted. If it is backbowed (no relief), it can cause a slight hump to form in the fingerboard.

Hope this helps.[cool]

EDIT: Did you change string guages? Because that can also cause problems like this. Also, I do NOT recommend using Gibson's action specs for your own style of playing (whatever that may be)! The best thing to do is, find a good luthier, and have them help you figure out your own personal action preferences.

Hi guys,

I have put a straight edge across the frets and they are all level. I have also checked the neck relief and it's approximately .08mm, which is what Gibson recommends IIRC.

This only happens on an A note, if I play A note, 14th fret G string it'll die off quickly. If I play a C# on the 14th fret B string it'll last a bit longer.... Surely this would suggest the frets are fine?

Hi guys' date='

I have put a straight edge across the frets and they are all level. I have also checked the neck relief and it's approximately .08mm, which is what Gibson recommends IIRC.

This only happens on an A note, if I play A note, 14th fret G string it'll die off quickly. If I play a C# on the 14th fret B string it'll last a bit longer.... Surely this would suggest the frets are fine?[/quote']Then it could just be a dead string. Which is sometimes the case with new strings. But we still recommend getting it proffesionally setup, because Gibson's setup specs are not completely flawless.

EDIT: Did you change string guages? Because that can also cause problems like this. Also' date=' I do NOT recommend using Gibson's action specs for your own style of playing (whatever that may be)! The best thing to do is, find a good luthier, and have them help you figure out your own personal action preferences.

[/quote']

No - the guitar came with 10s and I also use 10s.

I find the action comfortable the way it's set up now. What would a guitar tech do to repair the problem that I could maybe look at or do?

The action may be comfortable, but every guitar is different and has to be setup differently. You could have to different guitars, setup EXACTLY the same way, but I guarantee you, They will NOT feel/play the same. As I said, Gibson's specs are just a recommendation, not a requirement. Just take it in, and at least let someone take a look at it, see what they tell you, and then go from there, because you'd be surprised by what you might learn.

Oh! One more thing. Check the height of your pickups, because if your p/ups are too close to the strings (which I doubt that's the problem), that can also have a slight effect.

I'm hardly an expert, but I've read that some guitars just have "weak" notes. If it's only the A, and every A in every register, it sounds like that's your problem.

You should be able to remedy it by tuning to something other than 440... I can't guarantee success, but it should be better.

The action may be comfortable' date=' but every guitar is different and has to be setup differently. You could have to different guitars, setup EXACTLY the same way, but I guarantee you, They will NOT feel/play the same. As I said, Gibson's specs are just a recommendation, not a requirement. Just take it in, and at least let someone take a look at it, see what they tell you, and then go from there, because you'd be surprised by what you might learn.

Oh! One more thing. Check the height of your pickups, because if your p/ups are too close to the strings (which I doubt that's the problem), that can also have a slight effect.

[/quote']

OK I'll check the pickups tomorrow - I think they're set up to factory specs most likely.....

Out of interest can you post a picture or tell me how you have your guitar set up?

I have mine set somewhere between med-low (I don't know the EXACT measurements, because I trust my tech), which is high enough to get good rhythm tones, and low enough to stiil play leads fairly easily. If I can, I will try to post some pics later, but as I said, every guitar has to be setup differently.

I think it is your amp. Is it a combo? what do you have?

I used to have a Peavey Classic 30 combo that would not reproduce certain notes well because the note vibration and the cabinet vibration would kill each other as they were on the exact same frequency or something like that, I forget the scientific explanation..

Strange but true. My new amp does not have that problem, it is a 5:25 Mesa head and cab, same guitars and no dead notes anywhere.

I think your nuts. Whats this thing your always referring to as

It's set to Exact factory specs--soo their is no problem there, but you still have a problem. No such thing. Sorry man.

Its most likely fretting out. Meaning a fret is stopping it from vibratting most likely from not enough

foward bow or string height to low not allowing it to ring out.

Why don't you just set your string height way too high. I'll bet-ya your problem goes away.

Then you can take it to someone or just set your neck relief (with more forward bow) and string action for your best

comprimize for ease of playing and or your Sanity and besides if your really conserned so much

on sustain, your just not playing fast enough if you ask me.

I think it is your amp. Is it a combo? what do you have?

I used to have a Peavey Classic 30 combo that would not reproduce certain notes well because the note vibration and the cabinet vibration would kill each other as they were on the exact same frequency or something like that' date=' I forget the scientific explanation..

Strange but true. My new amp does not have that problem, it is a 5:25 Mesa head and cab, same guitars and no dead notes anywhere.[/quote']

This sounds like it could be the problem. I have also experienced microphonic effects from a pickup cause certain

notes to be impaired.

Sounds like you have A problem :-k

Seriously, I'm not an expert but if it is only the A note and at all the different positions, I think the odds are very low that it would be a fret or neck problem only on those spots. Some guitars resonate differently and for some reason your wood must "suck up" that A frequency.

I remember years ago I had on old acoustic sitting in my bedroom. My buddy sneazed and it was at the perfect frequency, the guitar rang out like someone hit the strings. :-k

Setup is probably the first way to go. Beyond that, try tuning down a half a step and see if it moves. If it does and the problem stays as an "A" note then it is likely a body/neck resonance issue. Google "guitar neck resonance" or something similar and you can read more about it. Had a similar issue with a Studio not long ago and sent it back because I could not work around it (regardless of setup).

If you tune down and it stays as a problem in the same spot then it is likely a fret issue, and some combination of setup and fret leveling should fix it.

Archived