Gibson Brands Forums

False assumptions...and my new ES-339!

jamester

I got a reminder this past Wed on why you shouldn't make decisions based on assumptions.

About a year ago when I was shopping around for a new semi-hollow, a salesguy at GC wanted me to try out a 339 but I wasn't interested. It looked too small, and I was sure it had "long neck" balance issues like the SG due to the reduced body. From pictures it seemed they just took a LP and gave it double cutaways and F-holes...

Boy was I wrong! Killing some time while my car was in the shop, I decided to go to GC and play one. They had a nice, brand new sunburst. It blew me away! It actually balances perfectly, standing or sitting. I was already a fan of the 30/60 neck, and it felt great on this guitar. The fit and finish was quite good for Gibson, better than on my newer 335's in fact. So I traded in my "60's Block 335" model (the one in my avatar, bought brand new last year) which I'd been meaning to sell anyways, and came away with my new favorite guitar.

Thanks to this forum for opening my eyes to this fantastic instrument!

IMG_0189Medium.jpg

I got a reminder this past Wed on why you shouldn't make decisions based on assumptions.

About a year ago when I was shopping around for a new semi-hollow' date=' a salesguy at GC wanted me to try out a 339 but I wasn't interested. It looked too small, and I was sure it had "long neck" balance issues like the SG due to the reduced body. From pictures it seemed they just took a LP and gave it double cutaways and F-holes...

Boy was I wrong! Killing some time while my car was in the shop, I decided to go to GC and play one. They had a nice, brand new sunburst. It blew me away! It actually balances perfectly, standing or sitting. I was already a fan of the 30/60 neck, and it felt great on this guitar. The fit and finish was quite good for Gibson, better than on my newer 335's in fact. [b']So I traded in my 60's Block 335 (the one in my avatar) which I'd been meaning to sell anyways, and came away with my new favorite guitar.[/b]

Thanks to this forum for opening my eyes to this fantastic instrument!

IMG_0189Medium.jpg

Jamester,

You traded a Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 for a new 339? I read that correctly? Huh? Tell me, what was wrong with your Gibson block neck 60ies ES-335? Did you check how much your Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 was worth? Do you have any idea of the value of a Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335? [biggrin][biggrin] Has this world gone fizzucking crazy?

Jamester' date='

You traded a [u']Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 [/u]for a new 339? I read that correctly? Huh? Tell me, what was wrong with your Gibson block neck 60ies ES-335? Did you check how much your Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 was worth? Do you have any idea of the value of a Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335? :-&[biggrin] Has this world gone fizzucking crazy?

I think his block 335 is now on GC's website. It's in Towson, MD. http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm . Do a keyword search on 05556163 .

If I wanted to I could cram the 339 into my Fender deluxe gigbag (although the zipper is tight so there's not much padding where it closes)' date=' so I'm sure there are plenty of bags that it will fit.[/quote']

I have an older Fender Deluxe bag and tried, it was so tight I didn't want to force it and mess up the zipper. I have a student who has one of the LP shaped Gretsch guitars, and he stuffs it into a standard bag and it's starting to rip.

I guess I was hoping there were "irregular" sized bags out there for these kinds of in-betweeners...but I'm not finding anything so far...

Jamester' date='

You traded a [u']Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 [/u]for a new 339? I read that correctly? Huh? Tell me, what was wrong with your Gibson block neck 60ies ES-335? Did you check how much your Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335 was worth? Do you have any idea of the value of a Gibson 60ies block neck ES-335? :-({|=[confused] Has this world gone fizzucking crazy?

Woah there partner...! lol

The guitar was not from the 1960's, it's just called the "60's Block" model; I got it almost exactly a year ago, brand new. What it's "worth" is subjective; I paid $3K at the time, it has since gone up five hundred dollars (which is crazy, it was only up three hundred or so just about a month ago!):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-ES-335-Plain-60s-Block-Inlay-Slim-Neck-Electric-Guitar-518922-i1150273.gc

I wanted to love it, but in fact its neck was kinda thin and its tone was *very* bright. On top of that, its color was more "lemon burst" than "tea burst" just way too yellow for my taste. We just didn't get along unfortunately. I later ended up buying a new black 335 Dot and love it; warm, fat tone and it looks the business. So what's the "worth" of a guitar which is just going to sit in its case and never be played? I'm not a collector, a guitar is made to be played not rot in a case...that's bad karma to me.

I traded a $3K guitar I'll never play for a $2K guitar I'll play daily - if I'm fizzucking crazy for doing that, so be it! ;-)

Jamester,

Your original post, no matter how many times I read it, still gives me the impression you are referring to a Block Neck 1960ies Gibson ES-335. How was I supposed to deduce from the info you provided it was a, reissue? Nice try, but your post really did need the word you omitted? I had a slew of other questions the guitar in your avatar had brought to my attention as to actual year. But, I guess they won't be needed, now.

You scared the heck out of me, to put it in its' most gentle form of surprise exclamation. Be it your oversight, or my under one, you left out the key word and I think you know so. I do hope you enjoy your new guitar and I'm glad, for your sake, you had it all figured out down to how much your used reissue would sell for at a Guitar Center.

Jamester' date='

Your original post, no matter how many times I read it, still gives me the impression you are referring to a Block Neck 1960ies Gibson ES-335. How was I supposed to deduce from the info you provided it was a, reissue? Nice try, but your post really did need the word you omitted? [/quote']

It's all good my friend! :-)

For the record, I omitted nothing - it is not a reissue, it is simply a model "inspired by" the 60's models. Perhaps a misleading name, but that's what Gibson named it. "ES-335 Plain 60s Block Inlay" is what it says on my receipt.

Gibson does make a reissue, it's called the "1963 ES-335 Block" - a potentially more confusing name, eh? lol That model sells for a thousand more than the one I had:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Custom/1963-ES-335-Block.aspx

Nice try? :(

I'll edit my original post to avoid any more confusion...

Jamester,

I make it a point to remain polite with forum members. I have played the guitar professionally for forty years. I don't think this topic is worthy of our taking continued jabs at one another. In that you have edited and made the age of the 335 you traded clear in your original post, then right here is a good spot to end things, don'tcha think? Enjoy your guitar as long as it suits your wants and needs. The 339 is a great guitar. I hope Guitar Center gave you the case and candy within the price you paid, and I hope the neck bears a 'Memphis Custom Shop' sticker all of which Gibson advertises in the November issue of Musicians Friend which, as you know, is The Guitar Center itself.

Groper,

Your post surprised me; I never intended to take any "jabs" at you, and if I came across that way then please accept my sincerest apologies. I also make a point to be polite and helpful at all times, and hopefully my posting record here on this forum shows that. I edited my original post because of the valid confusion you brought to my attention regarding the name of the guitar; everything else was intended only as light-hearted guitar conversation, and I'm very sorry for anything that came across otherwise.

Archived