Gibson Brands Forums

Where's Murph? Where's Axe?

Gilliangirl

Sheesh....

But mostly this is a neat opportunity to see where other people's heads are' date=' whether they seem to be younger than I ever was, or somewhere close enough to my age that my teasing about being "THE old guy" is really totally irrelevant.

[/quote']

Man! That could only have been written by 1) Someone who's seen some of the world; 2) Someone who's a thoughtful thinker; & 3) Someone who is a gifted "wordsmith".

If you don't mind, I'd like to use the phrase, "They seem to be younger than I ever was." , from time to time as the circumstances allow.

Bob

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob...

Be my guest on using the line. I just hope you ignore the ones with typos - or where I let my tendency toward compound-complex sentences to get the better of me.

I have seen a bit of the world; I'd like to perceive myself as a thoughtful person.

Alas, although writing has been part of my calling since 1965, I have to suggest that I'm not gifted, only skilled. That's my albatross ... my only gift is a drive to work hard to develop skills. It's the same at guitar playing and a few other things I've played with over the years. I truly envy those who are gifted at any art.

m

Bob...

Be my guest on using the line. I just hope you ignore the ones with typos - or where I let my tendency toward compound-complex sentences to get the better of me.

I have seen a bit of the world; I'd like to perceive myself as a thoughtful person.

Alas' date=' although writing has been part of my calling since 1965, I have to suggest that I'm not gifted, only skilled. That's my albatross ... my only gift is a drive to work hard to develop skills. It's the same at guitar playing and a few other things I've played with over the years. I truly envy those who are gifted at any art.

m

[/quote']

Well, as far as I'm concerned, having the drive to develop skills IS a gift.

I'm proud to be able to know you, and am entertained by your verbosity, (is that even a word?).

One day, I'd like to sit down with you and a couple of acoustic guitars and see where it leads us!

Bob

Rob...

A cupla acoustic guitars? Hey, sounds like fun in my olden days. <grin> I remember nights at the laundromat after the girls got locked up in the dorms and guys would haul guitars, banjos, etc., and dirty clothes, then pick and grin until far too late. The acoustics tended to offer as much or more reverb than one might wish, though. Ah, the olden days.

BTW, given where you live, you ever run into actor Peter Coyote? I think he was one of those called a "digger" in those olden days, albeit with a different last name. Wrote a neat book, too. Played guitar quite well in college where I met him and I understand he still does some pickin'. Now there's a guy who has some real talent, regardless that he and I took far different paths.

I'll never forget him doing some good pickin' on a D28 while I was trying to learn the basics on a little cheapie - and I still looked like I was 12. <grin>

BTW, I haven't been out there since I shot a mag cover in the '80s...

m

Rob...

A cupla acoustic guitars? Hey' date=' sounds like fun in my olden days. <grin> I remember nights at the laundromat after the girls got locked up in the dorms and guys would haul guitars, banjos, etc., and dirty clothes, then pick and grin until far too late. The acoustics tended to offer as much or more reverb than one might wish, though. Ah, the olden days.

BTW, given where you live, you ever run into actor Peter Coyote? I think he was one of those called a "digger" in those olden days, albeit with a different last name. Wrote a neat book, too. Played guitar quite well in college where I met him and I understand he still does some pickin'. Now there's a guy who has some real talent, regardless that he and I took far different paths.

I'll never forget him doing some good pickin' on a D28 while I was trying to learn the basics on a little cheapie - and I still looked like I was 12. <grin>

BTW, I haven't been out there since I shot a mag cover in the '80s...

m[/quote']

No, I don't know Peter Coyote, but know of him. I run with a pretty sedate crowd these days!

Let me know next time you're around... and if/when I end up in Montana, (that IS where you are, right?), I'll look you up.

BTW... I looked 12 'til I was out of the Army.... dang..... now I look 12 years older than I am!

Bob

In a years time we have gone through allot here. From loads of noobs' date=' stupid questions, transfering the forum and loosing loads of data to basically lies about things that happened here. People can only take so much crap and those who are just out for themselves. Kinda like some of the products the mfg is pushing out the door; crap no one wants or wants and can't afford. Please Nintendo buttons on a guitar that looks like it need some serious sun; modeled after someone who wears a bucket (and got sued due to copy rights) and has to think in a chicken coop. Yeah thats real talent for ya.

[b']

Something Les has to be proud of for sure.[/b]

FFS here we go again.

You were a noob once remember?

And that "nintendo" button guitar you speak of has generated more interest in this manufacturer than anything else of late. Look at the comments.

With that sort of attitude, the fact that you're no longer a mod doesn't really surprise me.

FFS here we go again.

And that "nintendo" button guitar you speak of has generated more interest in this manufacturer than anything else of late. Look at the comments.

With that sort of attitude' date=' the fact that you're no longer a mod doesn't really surprise me.[/quote']

Good point on the noob thing. This forum needs more new blood, not less.

FFS here we go again.

With that sort of attitude' date=' the fact that you're no longer a mod doesn't really surprise me.[/quote']

Well said..........

My only question to guitarist is..........how many guitars have you had sigged after you? And......How many CD's have you sold in recent ?

Get the point? We all have opinions, however, for you to come on and bag the company that is providing a forum for you to voice your opinion, well, just simply blows my mind. I'm glad you were removed as Mod.......makes all kinds of sense to me

I hate Guitar Hero and any other computer game.

My kids love them. I've just bought them a Wii for xmas.

My 5yo wants an electric guitar so it can't be that bad, can it?

He did Smoke On The Water at the weekend.

Takes you back, no?

Maybe not... maybe he was born knowing and being an experienced forum guy... you know' date=' like a forum mesiah or something [cool

The Neo of the gibson forum... [cool] (and by Neo I mean Neo fro mthe matrix... not NeoConMan, we already have one of those).

In a years time we have gone through allot here. From loads of noobs' date=' stupid questions, transfering the forum and loosing loads of data to basically lies about things that happened here. People can only take so much crap and those who are just out for themselves. Kinda like some of the products the mfg is pushing out the door; crap no one wants or wants and can't afford. Please Nintendo buttons on a guitar that looks like it need some serious sun; modeled after someone who wears a bucket (and got sued due to copy rights) and has to think in a chicken coop. Yeah thats real talent for ya.

[b']

Something Les has to be proud of for sure.[/b]

i guess Les Paul was ashamed of Jimmy Page using his guitar because Page has been sued for copyright issues?

do you have any proof of what Les Paul was ashamed of concerning his guitar, besides the SG in the 60s? or are you putting words in a dead man's mouth because you don't like Buckethead? Just let it go or get some professional help.

Bob...

Actually I'm in far western South Dakota - but where the Montana cattlemen used to drive their stock to the railhead that once was the biggest in the US. It's still called the "Tri-State" area for SD, Wyoming and Montana. I get into Montana on occasion, but just that southeast corner. Ditto mostly with just northeast Wyoming.

I do live literally at the geographical center of the nation. http://www.bellefourchechamber.org/

Some 11 miles south is a small state university that actually offers a guitar major. The prof who's also an excellent jazz guitarist still doesn't quite get it, I think, that somebody at a newspaper believes it's something important to promote regionally and beyond. I hope some of the young guys on this forum think about that one a bit - but they'd best bring a good work ethic as well as a guitar or two and an open mind on music.

Devils Tower (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) is maybe an hour from here, Mount Rushmore ditto. Sturgis bike rally is 30 miles away. Deadwood - as in the cable tv series - is a half hour.

Neat place. Not much money, though. Ain't been since cowboys made $30 a month and found. There are a surprising number of pretty decent pickers, though.

Peter Coyote was a senior in a small college my freshman year there. Somehow I ended up in a photo of "the smallest bike club" where a batch of us posed in coat/tie/suit with a hot rod and bike.

As I said, though, ain't been to San Fran since the early 80s when I shot a mag cover.

m

Bob...

Actually I'm in far western South Dakota - but where the Montana cattlemen used to drive their stock to the railhead that once was the biggest in the US. It's still called the "Tri-State" area for SD' date=' Wyoming and Montana. I get into Montana on occasion, but just that southeast corner. Ditto mostly with just northeast Wyoming.

[/quote']

It's been awhile since I've been to Sioux Falls, and I don't have a trip planned any time soon, (but ya just never know!).

I have an old and dear friend living in Montana and I've promised him I'd come visit when I can. He told me he was moving to Billings from Bozeman, and I know he moved recently, but not sure where.

Billings is maybe 4 hours, Sioux Falls closer to 7. Billings to here via Interstate and US 212 is pretty lonely country. At nite figure no gas stations from the Interstate on the Crow rez to here. Soo Foo to here is Interstate the whole way, but... A long drive.

It's kinda a big country.

m

Archived