Gibson Brands Forums

Crisis of conscience - part 2

albertjohn

I have a beautiful 2007 ES335 lightburst.

For many years I have coveted a 335 and about 2 years ago found myself in the fortunate position of being able to afford one.

Over the last couple of years I haven't played it that much. I'm an acoustic player mainly and to be honest, I love playing my strat when I need to be plugged in.

Having said that, the 335 is absolutely fab and I couldn't want for a better guitar.

Like alot of us, I need the cash at the moment. I've just finished listing a few outgrown clothes of my daughters on ebay and was all set to get the 335 listed. Took it out of the case to polish up for the photos.

"What the hell are you doing?" a voice said.

I just can't bring myself to do it.

I know I'll get a good price and as it was a partial gift (for some work I did for a friend) it owes me very little.

Anyone care to offer some advice or share a similar experience?

I can understand what you're going through. It's always tough to let an instrument go, for me at least...

Personally, this is why I only get rid of instruments in order to get another instrument. I wouldn't sell a 335 just for the cash, since they will appreciate in value over time as well as only get harder and harder to afford as prices go up.

Unless you're absolutely strapped with no where else to turn, take my advice, hang on to it. They're only going to get more expensive over time. (This from someone who sold a '60 sunburst Les Paul in '72 for $1,000 to raise college cash. Sold a '57 Strat at the same time for $300....it only hurts when I think about it.)

I can understand what you're going through. It's always tough to let an instrument go' date=' for me at least...

Personally, this is why I only get rid of instruments in order to get another instrument. I wouldn't sell a 335 just for the cash, since they will appreciate in value over time as well as only get harder and harder to afford as prices go up. [/quote']

This is excellent advice, and allows upgrading (by whatever criteria you define that) without investing a lot of additional money. Another element is that you will know when you find a guitar that you like better. I played a '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent as my beloved main guitar from 1982-1997, whereupon I got a '70 Les Paul Deluxe. Since I got the LP for a really good price (three figures) I held onto Chester. I finally sold it in '07, which gave me the money to purchase a lovely 335 -- which has, in its turn, replaced Lester. Now I've got the Paul for sale so I can upgrade my Dobro (bought new in '84). Since I originally bought the Gretsch for $425, and sold it for $3100, I have stayed zero-sum in my acquisitions -- or would have, if I hadn't also gotten into an ever-escalating search for the perfect Precision bass!

Anyhow, in each case there came a time when the old guitar never came out to play, and by that I knew it was time to pass it on to someone who would love and play it.

Well there's always the sentimental value too. I do not sell my guitars. It took me a very long time to find the right guitars for me. I can't even count how many Les Pauls I played until the right one (now two) called to me. I'd sell my house and my BMW first before my guitars...

Archived