Gibson Brands Forums

New-ish to the Forum - new ES-137

Josef1010

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, if at all - I've been a member for awhile though. I just purchased an ES-137 Custom in light burst and had a few questions.

Has anyone replaced the strap buttons with locking ones? If so - is there a model out there that doesn't require modifying the screw hole? I have been successful in changing to strap locks on all of my guitars without changing screw size, but wanted to check before I ordered.

Thanks

es1371.jpg

es137.jpg

Ah, another 137 player in Michigan. Great guitar, congrats! Get it at Elderly?

I haven't installed locking buttons, I have had good luck so far with el cheapo plastic Dunlop locks (pick-shaped).

However I have installed locking buttons on several of my other Gibsons and there was never an issue with screw diameter, it was always a nice fit.

cool thanks - I have schallers on my Les Paul Classic but I wasn't sure if the screw diameter was different

I actually got it at Huber and Breese - they had 1 in stock in the right color - seems like these are out of stock everywhere right now.

it is a great guitar - this is my first gibson semi-hollow - I have 4 epiphones and 1 ibanez - this is a great compliment to the other sounds I am getting out of those

I love the lightburst. It looks great!

I used schallers on my ES 137. I think that I used the same gibson screws to screw in the schaller parts. However its worth using a felt spacer between the guitar and the schaller part. Can get them over the internet from StewMac.

IMG_0113-1.jpg

Cool thanks - I reallly like that tri-color burst too - it was a toss up - I have an Epi Dot and an Epi ES-175 in that color (or close to it) so I figured it was time to switch it up.

Im glad to hear the schallers fit - i actually prefer those to dunlops - the dunlops stick out too far for me.

When I installed the schallers I just unscrewed the Gibson strap buttons and used the same Gibson screws to install the schallers. No glue or toothpick was necessary. The only point I would make is take care when removing the screws because otherwise when you screw the schallers in the screws may not tighten properly. Try the schaller screws if the gibson one doesn't tighten adequately. However this was not a problem I experienced.

I've installed the schallers on a number of my guitars (Gibsons and PRS's) without any glue or toothpicks. Regards,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I use the Ernie Ball strap locks...no mods or toothpicks.

I bought Grovers (same as schaller), but had to do some drilling on the back one to get the original screw to fit inside as the supplied screw for the rear is too thin. No mods or toothpicks to the guitar itself.

Archived