Gibson Brands Forums

Thought you all might like to know...

Shnate McDuanus

Last night was the night I submitted all of my college applications!

Applications and payments are all in. Now I just need to finish a few supplements and make sure all of my transcripts and recommendation letters get sent out...

My teachers are rather slow with writing recommendations...

I'm excited, anxious, joyous, apprehensive--just a jumble of emotions right now! I applied to nine schools, all places I'd like to go to, but there are a few that I really love, and a few that I love just a little less. I'd be devastated if I didn't get in somewhere! I'm so worried that my record isn't good enough, or that my essay isn't good enough, or that I'm just plain not good enough! [drool]

Aw hell, it was just good to bite the bullet and send those all out. I'm pretty happy with myself--I wasn't sure I'd even ever get around to applying. For a while there, I didn't know where I wanted to apply to, and I even considered avoiding college entirely. Now I'm glad I've applied.

Of course, the months leading up to April are just going to be absolutely killer...8-[

Wish me luck...please?...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night was the night I submitted all of my college applications!

Applications and payments are all in. Now I just need to finish a few supplements and make sure all of my transcripts and recommendation letters get sent out...

My teachers are rather slow with writing recommendations...

I'm excited' date=' anxious, joyous, apprehensive--just a jumble of emotions right now! I applied to nine schools, all places I'd like to go to, but there are a few that I really love, and a few that I love just a little less. I'd be devastated if I didn't get in [i']somewhere[/i]! I'm so worried that my record isn't good enough, or that my essay isn't good enough, or that I'm just plain not good enough! [drool]

Aw hell, it was just good to bite the bullet and send those all out. I'm pretty happy with myself--I wasn't sure I'd even ever get around to applying. For a while there, I didn't know where I wanted to apply to, and I even considered avoiding college entirely. Now I'm glad I've applied.

Of course, the months leading up to April are just going to be absolutely killer...8-[

Good luck with all that. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Let us all know how the responses go. Back in 1967, it was TOUGH to get into college, ('cause so many were trying to get deferments from the draft)

I was finally accepted, (let's just say I wasn't a "first-round draft pick"), but then discovered I couldn't afford to buy the books!

I hope your family will be able to help you along, as it's important to get as good an education as is possible.

Bob, (aka Dad)

good luck man' date='

Where'd you apply?[/quote']

Thanks brother! I applied to:

Hamilton College (Clinton, NY)

Bard College (Annandale-On-Hudson, NY)

University of Chicago (Chicago, IL)

Lafayette College (Easton, PA)

McDaniel College (Westminster, MD)

Clark University (Wooster, MA)

Lawrence University (Appleton, WI)

Binghamton University of SUNY (Vestal, NY)

SUNY at Purchase (Purchase, NY)

Long list, I know--and very selective, too! I'm so scared.

I'm going to be sweating and panicking from now until April...

Long list' date=' I know--and very selective, too! I'm so scared.[/quote']

Better long than nonexistant.

Never forget who helped you' date=' who had faith in you. [drool] [/quote']

Parents and god (assuming you believe in god)

good point cruzn.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

Extremely valid points, Cruzn. Thank you. These past few months would've been impossible without parents, teachers, friends, my guidance counselor, my school's college office, the music of Elmore James, the writing of Graham Greene, etc. ad infinitum. Of course I'll never forget those who got me to where I am--a nice place to be, if not just a little frightening at times.

Thanks brother! I applied to:

Hamilton College (Clinton' date=' NY)

Bard College (Annandale-On-Hudson, NY)

University of Chicago (Chicago, IL)

Lafayette College (Easton, PA)

McDaniel College (Westminster, MD)

Clark University (Wooster, MA)

Lawrence University (Appleton, WI)

Binghamton University of SUNY (Vestal, NY)

SUNY at Purchase (Purchase, NY)

Long list, I know--and very selective, too! I'm so scared.

I'm going to be sweating and panicking from now until April...[/quote']

Good luck! I must admit that I never heard of SUNY at Purchase. Wow, there are a lot of SUNY campuses out there...

Best wishes on your college career and good luck. And as I told my own children when they went off to college; learn how to REALLY use the library. You can't learn all the facts. But you can learn where and how to find the facts. Learn how to use the library. I can't stress that enough. That's the second most important thing I learned in college.

Oh' date=' and I just applied to the CUNY, at my dad's request. I wouldn't really like to go to any of those ones, but they're cheap, so whatever.[/quote']

Good luck with your "first choices".. My youngest son just started seriously looking at schools (he's a junior)..

As for CUNY.. The NYC Colleges are still fine schools (Hunter was always a top notch school).. May not be what you want but it's good to have a "safety valve" if needed.

Good for you! And' date=' studying English is IMMENSELY practical.[/quote']

Go easy on 'em Mr. Natural.. If his father had him apply to City University of NY, he probably lives in NYC. Studying a foreign language might be good for him..

XDemonknight.. I've got a question for you.. Does NY still give Regents Scholarship money? Years ago the scholarship money was pretty good and the Regents test results did give your applications some preferential treatment when applying to CUNY or SUNY schools...

Jeez what are you smart or something? Nice choices' date=' seriously

You wouldn't even be applying to some of those schools if you

GPA, SAT or ACT wasn't very good

I bet you'll do fine and good luck.[/quote']

SAT score is 2020 out of 2400 (or 1370 for you out-of-1600 folks who might have taken it a while back.) GPA is around a 3.6. Not bad. Didn't take the ACT, and took the SAT but once, but none of my schools seem to mind.

As for the CUNY schools, I know that they're not bad schools by any measure. Their senior colleges are mostly great, as are their community colleges--my problem isn't with the institutions themselves. My problem is the fact that I wanted to go outside of my home town. Yes, as fun and exciting NYC is, I want to go away for college,

"for my purpose holds

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

Of all the western stars, until I die."

"Ulysses" (1833) - Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

I just feel like going to a place like Hunter or City College would be like going back to high school--which is not what I intend to do. I want to progress, and I feel like going to a CUNY school wouldn't be progressive enough for me. Do you feel me on this? CUNY is just fine, but I don't necessarily want to enroll in one of their programs.

English.

I know' date=' I know. Doesn't sound purposeful at all. I'm going to college to study what interests me, not what's going to be practical.[/quote']

Good on you for doing what you like.

What are your plans after college with that degree? College professor?

Archived