Gibson Brands Forums

Thought you all might like to know...

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SAT score is 2020 out of 2400 (or 1370 for you out-of-1600 folks who might have taken it a while back.) GPA is around a 3.6. Not bad. Didn't take the ACT' date=' and took the SAT but once, but none of my schools seem to mind.[/quote']

My compliments. Fine grades all around. No Regents Scholarship testing? It used to be a requirement if you went to NYC Public Schools.

(Like I said it also gave you money for both SUNY and CUNY schools)..

As for the CUNY schools' date=' I know that they're not bad schools by any measure. Their senior colleges are mostly great, as are their community colleges--my problem isn't with the institutions themselves. My problem is the fact that I wanted to go outside of my home town. Yes, as fun and exciting NYC is, I want to go away for college,

"for my purpose holds

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

Of all the western stars, until I die."

[i']"Ulysses" [/i](1833) - Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

I just feel like going to a place like Hunter or City College would be like going back to high school--which is not what I intend to do. I want to progress, and I feel like going to a CUNY school wouldn't be progressive enough for me. Do you feel me on this? CUNY is just fine, but I don't necessarily want to enroll in one of their programs.

I understand you wanting to "get out of Dodge", I think it's great. My older 2 sons got the "get the grades" (they didn't) and "it's up to you, anywhere you want to go" lecture (we'll figure out how to afford it). The younger guy is getting the same lecture and he's getting grades (pretty good psats and 3.4-3.5 but c/c+ in English)..

BTW I wasn't recommending going to CUNY as a first choice.. Just putting in the application as a "just in case"..

Yeah--I'm happy with that. I love the idea of being a college professor.

First thing you'll have to do is learn to say "wenge" correctly. None of this tuh-may-duh - tuh-mah-duh stuff' date=' either. There's only ONE correct pronunciation. Weng-gay...weng-gay...weng-gay...you try it.

It's probably one of the first things that comes up in an interview. Don't blow it! [biggrin

My compliments. Fine grades all around. No Regents Scholarship testing? It used to be a requirement if you went to NYC Public Schools.

(Like I said it also gave you money for both SUNY and CUNY schools)..

I understand you wanting to "get out of Dodge"' date=' I think it's great. My older 2 sons got the "get the grades" (they didn't) and "it's up to you, anywhere you want to go" lecture (we'll figure out how to afford it). The younger guy is getting the same lecture and he's getting grades (pretty good psats and 3.4-3.5 but c/c+ in English)..

BTW I wasn't recommending going to CUNY as a first choice.. Just putting in the application as a "just in case"..

[/quote']

I took Regents Exams, but I'm not sure about scholarship money being involved. I should look into that, but I don't think it's the same as it used to be.

I've applied to six of the CUNY schools--Hunter, Brooklyn College, Queens College, College of Staten Island, City College, and Baruch College--"just in case," as you said. It's a good idea, to be sure. I just hope that my EFC is about right for us--I'm in the awful position where it seems like we have too much money to get a truly substantial amount of financial aid, but not enough money to be able to afford one of the more expensive private schools without some sort of aid. A lot of my schools provide aid for full demonstrated financial need, which is a good thing, but if my EFC is $15,000, that's still $15,000 a year that I'll need to end up paying for.

And Cruzn...that's gonna take some work. I don't know if I can pronounce it right, no matter how hard I can try.

Best wishes sir. No need in wasting time worrying. Took me a while to understand that, but once I did, life was much better. As long as you put your right foot down and stay in tune, you will always do well. You are your own producer. Now - play it like you wrote it. The song sounds much better that way.

English.

I know' date=' I know. Doesn't sound purposeful at all. I'm going to college to study what interests me, not what's going to be practical.[/quote']

Now that's a great insight! I went to university to study physical education in a time where there wasn't any demand for PE teachers, but I finished it anyway and look at me now...[blink]

No, seriously, let yourself drive by what interests you the most,...there goes nothing beyond a job you love...

Well...

What I tell kids who lean toward an English or history major is to get a secondary school teaching degree and "qualifications" immediately. Then you've a way to eat if necessary.

Then go back for whatever.

English is how we communicate. It's use at the higher levels has become less common.

m

What I tell kids who lean toward an English or history major is to get a secondary school teaching degree and "qualifications" immediately. Then you've a way to eat if necessary.

Giddyup! You might even find you enjoy it.

Surfpup...

I blew it. Got seduced from school into newspaper writing full time at 20. I'd originally thought I'd teach either English or history at secondary or post-secondary levels. The newspaper thing, at the time, was just too much fun and too much of an ego boost - and at the time, I could pick on weekends and work out evenings.

Dumb.

Yeah, it's been a good ride on a figurative saddle bronc, but the draw has ended up with a critter that wants to roll around and kick out of the chute rather than buck. And there' ain't a reride in this rodeo.

Seriously, too, for those who question "English" as a major: Communication is far less exacting in today's world at the very time in history it perhaps should be at its most exacting.

Whether one has an advanced engineering degree or a diploma in auto body repair, the ability to communicate in writing or verbally is vital to any degree of success. That's certainly true also in the entertainment industry. Heck, Rocketman is among the better communicators here, and he's literally a rocket scientist.

Lit - from "heavy" stuff to decent sci fi - also is something one might use to reflect on one's own existence.

m

OK fine, so I'll get my secondary school teaching qualifications, teach secondary school, and be miserable for the rest of my life because I'll be teaching high school students and hating it, and hating them, and hating my poor salary, and being resentful forever because I wasn't smart enough to go in for law, or engineering, or business. And then everything else I hate about my life will come on out, too. How I'm a lousy guitarist, and how I couldn't make that into a viable career, and how girls don't seem to be interested in me no matter how I try, and how I've been so incredibly naïve my entire life, and how I have such little control over my emotions, and how people just don't seem to like me. Then I'll start drinking, and I'll be dead at 40 because my liver's going to get so ruined. Doesn't sound good.

Or I could get my English degree, spend years in grad school, spend years looking for a job, end up waiting tables, and...same old story.

Damnit.

Naaah.....

I'm recommending the teaching degree essentially as a backup against a poor economy. There are teaching jobs out there for English degrees. It may not be exactly where you wanna live, but even in four years, stuff ain't gonna change all that much from today.

Then with an English major and secondary credentials, go on to grad school. If things tank, you've got a government job with bennies and only an 8-month work year. It ain't great cash, but it isn't bad in comparison to other stuff. In fact, I know some small college profs who go back into the public school system for as good or better pay, bennies and less pressure on the job.

Also, you didn't say "what kind" of English degree. Lit emphasis? Grammar emphasis? "Communications" or "Journalism" emphasis? I don't know what and how stuff may be offered wherever you might find yourself going to school.

I'm not saying "Forget your dreams, kid," what I'm saying is that I do believe that in today's world, preparation for more than one specific avenue of personal revenue ain't a bad idea.

Follow the dream, for heaven's sake, but have a backup as a "meantime" solution if things get whacky.

m

congrats chase your dreams learning, education and keeping your focus can get you a long ways and went to some very nice schools graduated with honors and had a plan for life now just turned 50 last week and did 30 years in a government job and now I just turned in total retirement packet. so plan carefully work hard and someday you'll be looking around going damn it worked.

OK fine' date=' so I'll get my secondary school teaching qualifications, teach secondary school, and be miserable for the rest of my life because I'll be teaching high school students and hating it, and hating them, and hating my poor salary, and being resentful forever because I wasn't smart enough to go in for law, or engineering, or business. And then everything else I hate about my life will come on out, too. How I'm a lousy guitarist, and how I couldn't make [i']that[/i] into a viable career, and how girls don't seem to be interested in me no matter how I try, and how I've been so incredibly naïve my entire life, and how I have such little control over my emotions, and how people just don't seem to like me. Then I'll start drinking, and I'll be dead at 40 because my liver's going to get so ruined. Doesn't sound good.

Or I could get my English degree, spend years in grad school, spend years looking for a job, end up waiting tables, and...same old story.

Damnit.

You know what I think? I think you will likely change your mind at least twice before you graduate and that's OK. And, oh by the way, if you did not excell in the math and science arena in high school, don't be afraid to explore those areas again in college. You might be surprised what maturity does to the brain's ability to actually comprehend areas that you perhaps stubbed your toe on the first time. A good friend of mine dropped out of high school, got his GED, went to college, majored in mathematics, and is doing extremely well working as a systems analyst. He did have a computer science or perhaps information systems minor. Don't recall???

That said, there's NOTHING wrong with an English major. You can target that English major in specific directions beyond your fear of teaching high school kids with an appropriate minor or targeted general studies. There's just going to be allot more opportunity in the math, science, physics, engineering, environmental sciences, etc. areas.

Good for you that you're just going!

Or I could get my English degree' date=' spend years in grad school, spend years looking for a job, end up waiting tables, and...same old story.

Damnit.[/quote']

I recall when I graduated high school, (I think Hoover was president), I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do. I took some kind of aptitude test and was told I should consider a career as a surveyor. As I've said before, I took the SAT's and between that score and my grades, getting into college at all was sketchy, at best. When I was finally accepted, I found I couldn't afford the books, (my parents weren't in a position to help at all). So, I took a job at Peterbilt working on the line and figured I'd go to college "later".

Well, I was soon drafted, and spent 2 years working for Uncle Sam. When I got out, (at 21), I was HUNGRY to get back to school. I went back for a degree in business administration, which I didn't recognize is what I wanted all along.

So, my advice to you....don't sweat the small stuff.... go to school, (you appear to be a very intelligent person), learn what you can, but listen to your heart...it'll lead you down the right path for life. And, as Milod said....there's no replay on this one life we're all given. Make sure you're happy in what you do, because you're gonna have to do it a LONG time!

I just started my 43rd year in the same industry, doin' pretty much the same job, (29 years with my current company), and I plan on, (am hoping for), another 6 years. I LOVE my job... I LOVE my family.... I LOVE my life. I wish the same for you.

Bob

Archived