Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Robert Johnson L-1 Acoustic Guitar

Navajo Chief

its not a bad guitar at all...

i played a couple...

im a fan of small body gibby's...

the signature in the fret board is a little much in my opinion...but its an aesthetic thing and not a playing issue!

before i bought my LG-2 3/4 i had an L-00

similar size and shape to the Johnson...and very very comfortable...also i picked one up for about 1k less than the johnson...

i had a client who loves playing slide and he bought the johnson specifically for slide...

he swears by it even though he is a National Tri-Cone man...

NC, I've had one (an '06) for a couple months. I feel it's more like a full size guitar in terms of volume and tone, and it does work in my small acoustic band situation. Mine has great reverb and sustain and plays well. Sometimes I miss the two higher frets, but I have other guitars to fill that need. Once you come to terms with the fact that this guitar is not a dread nor even an OM, you can enjoy it's compressed and midrangey honk, its bark, projection and what I call (pardon National) its Radiotone, you know, kinda like the sound's coming out of an old time console radio. Ce

Thoughts and opinions???

I have one. I've posted a few photos of it at the trading post. I like the way it looks. It's small and extremely light weight. I would describe the neck as generic. It's neither big nor small. A slight v-shape. I'm not sure about the neck radius but it reminds me of my '93 strat. I suppose the specs can be found at gibbys web site.

The sound is woody and percussive. Not much sustain. Almost big sounding. I don't care for how the guitar responds to my touch. It seems to react to aggressive playing. Dig in and it gives you something. Hold back and it leaves you wanting.

Speaking of the Nick Lucas' date=' I wonder why they dropped that model. I miss mine and wish I could get another one.[/quote']

Most likely not a steady seller. Next time they bring it back, they should do a run w/RW back and sides. might sell a few. Can call it the Bob Dylan/Norman Blake ("is it rolling, Bob?).

I sure love mine, and it is my go-to guitar now. Very different from my Martins which have tons of sustain, the RJ nevertheless is very responsive. The tone is woody and clear, and has a growl when you dig in. I often play late at night when the kids are asleep, and it has a great complex sound when played soft. It is a very lightweight guitar.

I think they came up with a winner with the RJ; and I never notice the signature. (I got a seriously killer price at Guitar Center of all places.)

Archived