Gibson Brands Forums

Looking For A Les Paul...

LPC666

thanks guys for the quick reply, i will try get a hold of him and enquire.

I was looking at the 68's and they look like just what i am looking for, im just concerned about the neck, what is the profile like on them?

I have an 08 Custom, would it be thinner or fatter than that?

I just want to find the right guitar here as im gonna have to part with a guitar with sentimental value to make this purchase, so i just wanna make sure i get the right guitar and its a keeper.

'57 & '68 reissues are the same except the '57 has no maple top and Burstbucker pickups. The '68 has a maple top and '57 Classics. How much money are you looking at spending here? What about the Jimmy Page Custom with 3 pickups and a 6-way switch? I'm sure it's a lot of dough and it probably has a slim neck.

What about a '70s Custom?

im looking around the mid $3k range ideally but ill save the extra if needs be. what are the 70's customs like?

electronics wise i think ill probably put a set of dimarzios in whatever i get but im looking just for the construction mainly.

solid body and long neck tenon are the most important things for me really.

typically Norlin era LPs, esp the Customs, are heavier than hell.... gotta love pancake bodies. if you get one from before 75, it should have a trans-tenon...not long, but not short. and like everything gibson, dates are not set in stone. a mid 70s custom should be in your price range give or take. and if the electronics are stock, i would definitely leave them in , but ymmv.

keep in mind that i am in the US and have no idea what UK prices are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-VINTAGE-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-GUITAR-NATURAL_W0QQitemZ180441394658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2a03252de2

that looks very nice, iv heard some things about norlin era LP's is there anything i should look out for if i choose to go that way?

at the moment it looks like im either gonna go for a 70's LP or a '68 RI, unfortunately though i doubt im gonna be able to play either before i order them.

if it were me, i would buy the new 68 RI. i say this because the CS is turning out some AMAZING guitars these days. and since you will be buying before playing, i would go with the new (and then you wont have to worry about neck repairs, original pots/caps/pickups/tuners/etc....dont get me wrong, plenty of good Norlins out there. but there are also plenty of 13 lb POS's too.

Archived