Gibson Brands Forums

In for a used car!

BlackHawk233

Well.

I am not going to be using our Volvo 850 anymore, so I decided to look for an old Volvo 240.

Has anyone ever owned one? I already know their amazing Durability+Reliability.

If anyone has had one, how is the ride? My 850 has a sport suspension so its quite rigid, but I like it.

So many people think their ugly. I think they are a very "Nice", but sporty 70/80/90's design.

volvo-240-2.jpg

My dad rode one for more than 10 years, without having problems, ...it's a solid car, trustworthy...

You can count on Volvo whatever car model you're driving. I'm am driving an XC60, ...a hell of a car!

The only negative about Volvo is the price, when compared to similar European cars(I'm not talking BMW), for instance Audi, VW.

Those 240's taught me all about "passenger safety," "energy absorbtion" and "crumple zones" in the '80's.

A girl I knew got rear-ended in her mom's new Volvo, I was right beside her on my motorcycle and saw the whole thing. She was freaking out, me and a couple of friends were reassuring her that the impact was minimal so there was nothing to it beyond a broken tail light and a little scratched paint.

Boy, were we WRONG!

The scratched paint where the bumper contacted the body was an indication that the "energy" was then disappated in the floor of the trunk and structure surrounding the gas tank. She showed us the repair estimate a few days later and it was several thousand dollars because of the "compromised crash-worthiness" and the extensive repairs required.

I woulda put a tail light in it and drove it...

In Europe, I guess they've been used to that far longer than I was.

In my youth, big American cars would bounce off a tree and require only a new bumper.

They're all built that way now - even my full-size trucks.

Well.

I am not going to be using our Volvo 850 anymore' date=' so I decided to look for an old Volvo 240.

Has anyone ever owned one? I already know their amazing Durability+Reliability.

If anyone has had one, how is the ride? My 850 has a sport suspension so its quite rigid, but I like it.

So many people think their ugly. I think they are a very "Nice", but sporty 70/80/90's design.

[img']http://www.drive.ru/images/volvo/volvo-240-2.jpg[/img]

If you have a Volvo, don't you have to get a "Save The Whale" bumper sticker too?

We owned a 240 for a few years. My advice carry a lot of spare fuse's, hope you never have to replace a injector or the fuel pump that is in the fuel tank, or a clutch, or brakes. It seems that anything that you replace on a Volvo are made of platinum and lined with gold, and all Volvo mechanics are as well paid as brain surgeons.

Lucky boyfriend!!

Man' date=' I was trying!!!

She was hot.

Kinda big, but oh my God what curves!!!!

Everything was slightly exaggerated, lips, eyes, butt - almost like a cartoon.

Then there was the "bumpers" bigger than any woman has a right to.

Think "Rubenesque" and you're there....

Anyhow, she was a little shy and I was a busy young single man.

Was not to be.

(Was 1986 really that long ago?)

If you have a Volvo' date=' don't you have to get a "Save The Whale" bumper sticker too?[/quote']

Hmm, I like Volvo's cause (talking 850's) they are powerful, Fun, Luxurious, Reliable, and oh yeah, FAST.

I am aware of the massive amounts of Volvo's with bumper sticker "heaven". I'm not pointing fingers.

FAST?

Sorry, I ain't buying it.

Some of the Volvos have what I would call 'adequate' power, none of them are fast.

Even a Mustang GT isn't exactly a tire-killing monster like everybody seems to think.

Quick, fun and affordable - I've driven many - but even they aren't that fast.

When your Volvo will run the 1/4 mile in under 14 seconds with a full tank of gas, get back to me.....

:-

I have a '93 Volvo. Last night I was in a rush to pick up my brother from work...

As I was pulling a u-turn on my friends street I had one of those classic "am I gonna make it" moments with his neighbor's trailer. Well... I didn't make it. I clipped the sharp *** metal corner of the trailer and put a nice fat dent in my otherwise minty bumper.

I just backed up and left!

I now have a better understanding of what I can and can't "make".

That was pretty good Neo. Whats funny about that area is there are two types of people, either ever-loving tree huggers or people who hate the ever-loving tree huggers. And seeing the OP, a teen I'm presuming since he is getting permission from his dad to get a car, was looking at a Volvo made me think he is of the first group. Just made me snicker. [biggrin]

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but nuking gay starving whales would be more fun.

Archived