Gibson Brands Forums

I Found My Dream LP (With Pics)!

rockstar232007

After getting burned by GC on the PF LP Custom, I decided to do a little more searching on CL, and ended up finding a 2001 '60 LP GT Classic. I picked her up today for $1,250 (original asking price was $1,400), and all I have to say is [biggrin][drool][drool][drool][drool]

The setup is PERFECT and the sound is unbelievable. This is the first time I have ever bought a guitar w/out checking it out a couple of times before making a decision, but there's just something about her that I can't explain! So I guess there is such a thing as love at first sight!

Here she is!

DSC01184.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

I took these quick because the batteries in my camera were about to die. I'll try to take some better ones later.

[cool]

Thanks BB! The funny thing is, I've played A LOT of LPs over my 27 years on this planet, and I can honestly say that this [by far] is THE best one I've found!

It sounds really good right now, but I think I'm going to upgrade the pickups and tuners. The stock [Gibson Deluxe] tuners are good, but the original owner changed one out, because it bent. It's EXACTLY the same as the Gibsons (without the "Gibson" part), but I'm just picky like that![biggrin]

Congrats!

I have a 2001 Classic Plus Cherryburst.

Put Grover Rotomatics and BurstBucker Pros on it and it's my Number 1 for sure.

What pickups are you thinking?

I'm kinda wishin' I had gone with 57 Classics, wonderful pickups....

Congrats!

I have a 2001 Classic Plus Cherryburst.

Put Grover Rotomatics and BurstBucker Pros on it and it's my Number 1 for sure.

What pickups are you thinking?

I'm kinda wishin' I had gone with 57 Classics' date=' wonderful pickups....[/quote']Thanks Neo!

I'm actually thinking '57 Classic p/ups myself, but if I can get close to a PAF sound with BBs, I might just get those.

Congratz on the sweet guitar!

The "Classic" has the 496r/500t p'ups, right?

before you go swapping them, have you REALLY tried rolling off the tone knobs 1st??

I was about to yank them out of my V, but decided to try cranking the tone knobs back to about 5.5/6.........

Worked like a charm for me, and I play mostly Blues, and New Country "ish" stuff.

Congratz on the sweet guitar!

The "Classic" has the 496r/500t p'ups' date=' right?

before you go swapping them, have you REALLY tried rolling off the tone knobs 1st??

I was about to yank them out of my V, but decided to try cranking the tone knobs back to about 5.5/6.........

Worked like a charm for me, and I play mostly Blues, and New Country "ish" stuff.[/quote']It's not that I don't like the p/ups, but even with the tone knobs down, they're not as "warm" as the '57s.

Lovely catch, rockstar232007.

It's not that I don't like the p/ups' date=' but even with the tone knobs down, they're not as "warm" as the '57s.

[/quote']

When I bought my 1991 Classic it took me a few days of mucking around with settings to get something like I was used to using but at the end I could get it to sound almost exactly like my '57 Classics. Plus, when I'm in the mood for something a bit more raw, it can become an absolute animal....

Try putting covers on the pups. This cuts off some of the highest frequencies and mellows the thing a bit. The Vol and Tone knobs when used together calm it down a lot more. Turn your amp up more than usual and wind the Vol down more than usual on the guitar.

Or, as Neo once said, just play Pantera covers!

Archived