Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't todays bands do solos like they used to?

Silverbursted

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listen to Chinese Democracy - there's plenty of decent solos on that album.

Considering that they started working on it in 1994 and recording in 1995, I'll argue it's hardly one of "todays bands". It does have a lot of solos, but it still seems a bit dated to me (and yes I've listened to it - I bought the CD)

Nothing at all.

Just goes to show there is great music out there' date=' you just need to know where to find it - and it ain't on the radio.

[/quote']

Exactly my point. My advice quit pigeon holing a lot good guitarist out there some them are better then others and knows what a guitar solo.

Considering that they started working on it in 1994 and recording in 1995' date=' I'll argue it's hardly one of "todays bands". It does have a lot of solos, but it still seems a bit dated to me (and yes I've listened to it - I bought the CD)[/quote']

Most of it was recorded between '99 and '04. Then Ron Thal came in and recorded a few solos in '07.

Duff and Matt were still in the band in 1995, and they're nowhere to be heard on the record.

Sorum is an epic drummer who was denigrated to being nothing but a cut & paste drummer.Wasteful. Check him out on The Cult's Sonic temple album. Huge tasteful drumming man. I still cringe everytime I hear November Rain. That was just downright disgusting.

Most of it was recorded between '99 and '04. Then Ron Thal came in and recorded a few solos in '07.

Duff and Matt were still in the band in 1995' date=' and they're nowhere to be heard on the record.[/quote']

Velvet Revolver.......

Slash's new album...

Duff's band Loaded.....

One reason is that its all been done for the most part. Also' date=' the drug of the day has changed. Endless jams sounded great with hallucinogenics. Alcohol creates a different, less tolerant mood. [/quote']

Along the lines of what Zappa said-"jazz ain't dead,it just smells funny".:-k

Don't get me wrong Saturn, but that actually demonstrates my original point. The guys know how to play and can play well together. I have never seen Sevendust live, but I would bet that when they play that song on stage it will be EXACTLY the same as the studio recording and video. Very little improvisation for the sake of showmanship.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Silverbursted.

Most songs now days seem to be focused on one extreme, and everything has to have a maximum "effect". There's little subtlety or nuance.

Think of all the classic songs with a really long musical intro or middle section put there for purely artistc or creative purposes. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Funeral For A Friend" , "Magic Man" , whatever, I could go on and on. You don't hear songs being written now days like that. It's all "bare bones" so to speak.

Maybe it's the modern attention span (or lack of it) that is at play [angry]

Here's a very modern' date=' aggressive, nu-metal type band that uses some old fashion shred guitar and makes it work IMO.

If the song is too much for you, the shredding starts around 2:20 [biggrin

Avenged Sevenfold

I was just about to say something about Avenged Sevenfold. During every one of their live shows, Synyster Gates (lead guitarist) plays a solo while the rest of the band takes a break. When they don't do the solo, they do a band jam together.

Silverbursted, Sevendust is a different band than Avenged Sevenfold. I've seen both bands live and if you're talking about Sevendust, I agree with you. They play their songs just like the album. Avenged Sevenfold is different. They play their songs with improvised solos.

I have been listening to Satellite radio (long drive to work) and have tuned into the Boneyard. They play nothing but what I would consider as "Classic Rock".

The Boneyard isn't a classic rock station' date=' they play older hard rock and heavy metal like Judas Priest, Rainbow, AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzy. Love the Boneyard! For classic rock, try Classic Vinyl on 14.

The one thing I have noticed is back in the 70's and 80's' date=' it was very common for each member of the band to take a solo while the rest of the band goes off stage for a break. But listing to modern era music, I've noticed that they don't do that. Anybody have any idea why that is? Is it space on the CD, and these guys only play whats on their CD? Is it a kinder/gentler age of music where nobody wants to stand out from their bandmates? Don't have the talent? What? [confused']

Music evolves but it also tends to be cyclical, especially popular music. Much like punk in the late 70's/early 70's backlashed against the "self indulgent" styles of the 70's with long solos, rock did the same thing again in the 90's against the "excessiveness" of the 80's and never really fully went back in the other direction after that.

With the resurgent popularity of Slash, Led Zeppelin and other artists and bands that are known for having good guitar players who solo among the younger crowd, I think we'll start seeing some more soloing soon and we even have already. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold have been taking extended solos with a classic two guitar attack for several years now.

With the resurgent popularity of Slash' date=' Led Zeppelin and other artists and bands that are known for having good guitar players who solo among the younger crowd, I think we'll start seeing some more soloing soon and we even have already. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold have been taking extended solos with a classic two guitar attack for several years now.[/quote']

I think it's great that guys like Slash and Page are bridging the music generation gap. Hopefully they will continue to influence and inspire todays players to remain musical.

As far as solos go they live on today- in some great instrumental artists!- ranging in genre from John 5 to Buckethead to Johnny A. Not to mention the plethora of indie instrumental artists. I love scouring the profiles of musicians on places like myspace and discovering new music from people ten years ago I would never have the pleasure of hearing.

In regard to mainstream rock/metal/pop bands neglecting or putting less emphasis on the guitar solo that does seem the case I agree; although personally I can live with that and don't see it as a bad thing[cool] .

There are some fantastic bands at the moment. While the 80's was a great decade for rock guitar innovation it was also full of some appallingly tacky music too. Song writing seemed to come second (to more superficiality than normal) in mainstream popular music.

(By 'popular' I am using it as an umbrella term covering rock.metal, pop etc etc)

The 90's in my opinion, recharged an ailing and self conscious popular music industry and is the best song writing decade since the 1960's. So many interesting bands; Nirvanna, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, The Manic Street Preachers, Blur, Oasis...great stuff[cool]

Matt

Archived