Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't todays bands do solos like they used to?

Silverbursted

:Live Shows:

The Venues usually has an ordinance in place which restricts the length of time a a band can play.

With that, Extended solo's are not what the majority of the paying patrons came to see.

Therefore, playing as many songs in their original format to give the best overall show possible.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because music is dead get over it.

Also in the 90's you have no ideas how many guitar solos were in the 90s...alot.

Also to point it out some today metal bands have solos in them...nercophagist and evile have some very nice solos in them.

:Live Shows:

The Venues usually has an ordinance in place which restricts the length of time a a band can play.

With that' date=' Extended solo's are not what the majority of the paying patrons came to see.

Therefore, playing as many songs in their original format to give the best overall show possible.[/quote']

Hey, this thread brought AXE back [biggrin]

Too many young so called artist have been brought up on computers, samplers and loops... Cut and paste, who needs to actually know how to play an instrument well.... That's a big reason I gave up dance music production to study/learn guitar. There is simply a lack of talent out there. On top of that you can't make the kind of money you used to be able to make in the music business, I mean really who buys music these days? Don't plan on making any money on CD sales. Best you can hope for is that enough people like your music to support a live tour.

Because music is dead get over it.

Also in the 90's you have no ideas how many guitar solos were in the 90s...alot.

Also to point it out some today metal bands have solos in them...nercophagist and evile have some very nice solos in them.

Just for grins and giggles' date=' how old were you when the 90's began? With that in mind, how can you, in good conscience, challenge someone else's knowledge of the same period? [biggrin

Ummmmm let's see: Wilco, The black keys, Marc Ford (album weary and wied)... I think that if people search a little bit instead of complaining about the comercial music they can find good solos nowadays.

Edit: Weary and wired.

I've never heard that before. [biggrin]

Fact is in some cases. If the band plays past the allotted time they are fined.

Same goes for State and County Fairs.

Depending upon the contractual agreement.

Keeping the Venue staff after the allotted time costs money as they are hourly employees.

You cant keep the riggers, house sound people ect'... around for free.

A lot of shows are very high tech now and do not allow for improvisation beyond a certain time constraint.

The days of seeing Ritchie Blackmore tweaking his Marshall stack on stage are pretty much over.

There is talent out there, many don't make it to the radio.

I have been lucky to (unknowingly) catch a few shows with guitar players that work as studio musicians and have a band on the side to stay loose and perform live and trust me the chops are there.

I sound like a broken record but I agree with what Rich says.

Some guys would actually have to learn to not only play what's on the record - you know what the stuido guys played for them, but now they would have to learn how to improvise... [biggrin]

Personally, I prefer a show with extra solos. The last thing I want is to go to a show and hear an exact reproduction of the studio album... to me that would be boring.

Some guys would actually have to learn to not only play what's on the record - you know what the stuido guys played for them' date=' but now they would have to learn how to improvise... [omg']

Personally, I prefer a show with extra solos. The last thing I want is to go to a show and hear an exact reproduction of the studio album... to me that would be boring.

I agree. For me, a few extended jams would be (usually) preferable to a bare-bones set list with nothing but every hit.

As far as solos go they live on today- in some great instrumental artists!- ranging in genre from John 5 to Buckethead to Johnny A. Not to mention the plethora of indie instrumental artists. I love scouring the profiles of musicians on places like myspace and discovering new music from people ten years ago I would never have the pleasure of hearing.

In regard to mainstream rock/metal/pop bands neglecting or putting less emphasis on the guitar solo that does seem the case I agree; although personally I can live with that and don't see it as a bad thing[cool] .

There are some fantastic bands at the moment. While the 80's was a great decade for rock guitar innovation it was also full of some appallingly tacky music too. Song writing seemed to come second (to more superficiality than normal) in mainstream popular music.

(By 'popular' I am using it as an umbrella term covering rock.metal' date=' pop etc etc)

The 90's in my opinion, recharged an ailing and self conscious popular music industry and is the best song writing decade since the 1960's. So many interesting bands; Nirvanna, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, The Manic Street Preachers, Blur, Oasis...great stuff[cool']

Matt

+1 thanks matt

Everyone thinks their own generation had the best music. As if the 60s, 70s, 80s, didn't have a single **** band, song or album. You gotta remember that when you're no longer part of the new generation it becomes harder to know where to find music that has any meaning or substance that isn't from your day. You think satellite radio is the source of avant-garde music for modern youth who don't follow mainstream media music? You think only your generation, mine, your dad's, had anything decent to offer? P-lease! The truth is NO ONE knows EVERY BAND on earth playing and making music NOW, so you and I can't say there are no decent solos being made. There are no POPULAR BANDS making good solos would be a less ignorant statement. To say the 90s had all sucky music and no decent solos is admitting you weren't listening to anything but top 40 back then, lmfao.

If you don't believe rock evolves, if you believe its a force that can be stopped, go back to enjoying to your old records, clearly you're out of touch.

The one thing I have noticed is back in the 70's and 80's' date=' it was very common for each member of the band to take a solo while the rest of the band goes off stage for a break. But listing to modern era music, I've noticed that they don't do that. [/quote']

I hate the idea of quoting myself, but I was not referring to the quality or lack of solos in todays music at all. I was referring to the old style of continuing a set by inserting drum, bass or keyboard solos while the other band members actually leave the stage for a break. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I was just curious if anybody else has made that observation.

I know what you meant, the extended solo, not like in jazz where everyone takes a solo during a song, but where you are playing the "head" of the song, and then the songs stops but the tempo keeps going and a member plays by himself for 5-20 minutes, usually ending his solo with a cue to bring the whole band back in.....

my bands do that a bit, i wish more major bands would, it would make them more credible IMO

Archived