Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Amp Question

daveinspain

Not if you use them correctly.

Generally overdrive/distortion go before the preamp and modulations and time based effects on the loop.

Get pedals with true bypass and use fairly transparent cables on the pedals connected to the effects loop. Effects processors are good but there is a lot of tweaking involved.

I am not using overdrive/distortion pedals with my Mesa 5:25 but I have a Marshall Echohead Delay and a Marshall Reflector for Modulation on the loop, they are connected with Fender premium cables and do not change the sound of the amp at all when they are off and the tube tone is there.

I'm not that familiar with Egnaters Rebel...........does it have an out/in loop' date=' or would you have to use the FX before it hits the pre-amp ??[/quote']

The Rebel is very basic... Has no built in FX but it does have an FX loop in the back of the amp. I am using a Boss ME-50 pedal board the FX loop. It seems to color the sound of the amp as opposed to nothing in the FX loop

I have a modest but very cool Rebel 20 tube amp. I can get great crunch or clean tones at about any volume thanks to the gain and master volume...

Question; Will FX processors compromise the amps tube sound?

Quite simply,YES.

ANYTHING,between you and your amp will colour/dictate the outcome of your tone.Be it cord(as already mentioned)any pedal(s)FX...but you can use this to your advantage by chaining things correctly(even incorrectly sometimes)to create your own distinct sound.

The Rebel is very basic... Has no built in FX but it does have an FX loop in the back of the amp. I am using a Boss ME-50 pedal board the FX loop. It seems to color the sound of the amp as opposed to nothing in the FX loop

How are you connecting it?

I am not sure you can connect it that way, looking at the manual for the ME-50 does not give you that option.

I used to connect my Boss GT-6's Out to the Effects Return input and that is it.

Using a multieffect will color the sound of the amp with no doubt. I mean you are bypassing the preamp when using the unit.

I am not sure you can connect it that way' date=' looking at the manual for the ME-50 does not give you that option.

I used to connect my Boss GT-6's Out to the Effects Return input and that is it.

Using a multieffect will color the sound of the amp with no doubt. I mean you are bypassing the preamp when using the unit.[/quote']

Hmmmm.... Ok I tried the Line/Phones out instead of the Mono/Left out... Seems a little cleaner but still colored...

Have your tried running it straight into the amp's front end?

Yeah, that's exactly how I do it with my ME-50 into a B52. I can't notice that it changes my tube tone at all besides the obvious sound of whatever effect I'm using. Most of the time, though, I'm not even using th effects and like I said, I notice no "degredation" in the natural sound of the amp.

I am using a Boss ME-50 pedal board the FX loop. It seems to color the sound of the amp as opposed to nothing in the FX loop

The way you have that set up is definitely going to color the sound. All in one boxes are designed to go into the front side. As was stated earlier, generally modulation type effect are on the backside of the the FX chain, but certainly don't have to be. You are probably better off putting your ME-50 between your guitar and your amp and leaving your Rebel on the clean channel.

PS Get yourself some 90 degree offset plugs. Relieve some of the strain.

most amp loops are wired after the amp's "pre-amp tube section" so when you run your effects in the loop you are running them after all of the pre-amp gain which is where most people dial in their amps overdrive.

In a couple of previous threads there was a discussion about the order of effects - which effects go first, 2nd, 3rd etc... prior to the amp. Think about your loop in that manner. Do you want your distortion pedal after the amps gain? Most people don't. However, a reverb or delay may sound better in the loop after the amps gain section.

Again, think of those previous threads - do you place the reverb and delay before the distortion pedals or after? Would you place another distortion pedal before the amps gain or after? Think of your loop in that fasion because it comes after the amps own distortion.

FWIW: For my Ceriatone OTS (dumble clone) I run my reverb in the loop, but I sometimes add the Marshall Guv'nor pedal in line with the guitar.

Archived