Gibson Brands Forums

Green Day / The Offspring ?

Murph

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green day and the Offspring provided the soundtrack of their lives for a lot of people, I was not part of that generation but I like both bands OK.

Green Day grew up and their songwriting is more complex, problem is (for some people) that is not what they liked about them to begin with, other people don't like them for their obviously liberal lyrics but that does not mean the songwriting is bad IMO. I personally am not going to pretend I could write and play songs as good as they do.

Chords are enough for me, not all the time but when I am in the mood I do not mind a power chord extravaganza. I listen to the Ramones and feel damn good about it. I listen to John Lee Hooker and feel good about that too.

I don't know the answer if there is one, but if some music does not move you does not mean that music is "wrong".

I am sure Billy Joe and Noodles play the blues when they are jamming with friends. I bet they both can shred on the guitar but simply don't do it in their songs since it does not fit the style of their respective recording bands.

I don't know,

Hell' date=' how am I supposed to know?[/quote']

The dictionary.

mu·sic

/'myuz?k/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [myoo-zik]

–noun

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.

4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.

5. such scores collectively.

6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.

7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

8. Fox Hunting. the cry of the hounds.

—Idiom

9. face the music, to meet, take, or accept the consequences of one's mistakes, actions, etc.: He's squandered his money and now he's got to face the music.

Origin:

1200–50; ME musike < L musica < Gk mousik (téchne) (the art) of the Muse, fem. of mousikós, equiv. to Moûs(a) Muse + -ikos -ic

You'll never know. Actually' date=' you are lucky. Green Day, and The Offspring are the Best Bands of your Life.

Best of luck.......

Murph.

[/quote']

That's what you are going to get. Period.

God Bless you kids.

I was lucky...... I grew up with The Beatles, Skynyrd, Grand Funk, ect.......

All you get is Green Day, and The Offspring.......

Period.....

What a shame.....

It's no wonder you are so confused.......

:-

I actually like Green Day - Billy Joe's never gonna be my favorite guitarist but Hell you gotaa respect both the skill and success and I was impressed by American Idiot and the quality and uniqueness off a modern rock opera and apparently at least 14 million other people liked Green Day and Jesus of Suburbia well enough to buy AI. Also the whole album wash Gibson and Marshall so what's not to like.

Sorry Murph I usually stay out of your periodic chemical induced rants, but this one on Green Day had some interesting comments from others.

The great thing about it is the Beatles, Skynard, Grand Funk, etc. never go away. Our generation gets to enjoy those bands and Green Day, the Offspring, and the other bands I'm sure Murph's too good for.

People like Murph are too stuck in their closed minds to appreciate modern music along with the old stuff. You can't be angry forever.

Murph' date=' not to go off topic, but you sure have been posting a lot of threads lately, just unusual

Glad to have you back hope you don't leave because of this bull****[/quote']

Huh? There is nothing in the World that would make me leave the Gibson Forum.......

Well, except for that Buckethead ****................

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

BucketheadShit......

God Bless you kids.

I was lucky...... I grew up with The Beatles' date=' Skynyrd, Grand Funk, ect.......

Period.....

What a shame.....

[/quote']

time for your Geritol. you sound like a cranky old man. a cranky old man who would have hated the Beatles 45 years ago. oh the irony.

People like Murph are too stuck in their closed minds to appreciate modern music along with the old stuff. You can't be angry forever.

It's not ANGRY my friend.

It's TALENT..............

Show me some............

What I've encountered in younger players and music lovers is that they aren't pigeonholed into a favorite genre, group, or time period.

So many youngsters are into everything from Green Day to Skynyrd, Jeff Beck to Buckethead, Willie Dixon to Stevie Ray to Bonnamasa (sp?), Billy Holiday to Linda Ronstadt to No Doubt. It's hard to stump the kids today, they can hear it all when they want. I find it refreshing.

I "Blame" it on Satellite radio and MP3 Players.

{Edit}

The great thing about it is the Beatles' date=' Skynard, Grand Funk, etc. never go away. Our generation gets to enjoy those bands [i']and[/i] Green Day, the Offspring, and the other bands I'm sure Murph's too good for.

See.

God Bless you kids.

I was lucky...... I grew up with The Beatles' date=' Skynyrd, Grand Funk, ect.......

Period.....

What a shame.....

[biggrin

Let's see, I started on Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Andy Williams, Perry Como and Pete Seger, Elvis and the Everlys.

Then I moved on to the Beatles, Stones, Zepplin, The Who, Cream, Skynard, grand funk, the dead...,

then came The Ramones, Aerosmith, Yes, U2, Van Halen, GNR, Styx, Metallica, Dead Kennedys...

I moved on to REM, RHCP, Nirvana, The Offspring, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Dave Mathews Band, Blink 182, and Linkin Park ...

I'm sure there are a few more there too.

Based on my parents ages (they'll make it to their 90's) I figure I've got about 30 more years of bands to grow up with. I'm lookin forward to it.

Murph it's kinda sad you that you just grow old and don't grow up.

Let's see' date=' I started on Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Andy Williams, Perry Como and Pete Seger, The Offspring, Green Day,

Murph it's kinda sad you that you just grow old and don't grow up. [/quote']

I'm feeling your pain..............

Man......

It HURTS.............

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha........

Archived