Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. John Lennon

bkharmony

John Lennon's death was one of those times when I remember where I was when I first heard it. I was living in my little one bedroom basement suite in Red Deer Alberta. I was putting up the Christmas tree and I had the radio on. Then they announced he'd been shot. I held my breath. Then they announced he'd died. I was in shock. I phoned my mom and cried.

Wonder what kind of musical direction he would have gone in. I bet the Beatles would have had a reunion, probably when they all got together to make new singles with Lennon's Free as a Bird, probably even before that. Probably would have toured with Ringo. Could be that if he were still here, might not even be making music much anymore, like George, before he passed.

John Lennon's death was one of those times when I remember where I was when I first heard it. I was living in my little one bedroom basement suite in Red Deer Alberta. I was putting up the Christmas tree and I had the radio on. Then they announced he'd been shot. I held my breath. Then they announced he'd died. I was in shock. I phoned my mom and cried.

Me too... I remember I was a freshman in high school science class. Someone got called to the office...when they came back to class they told the teacher that Lennon had died....wait..... Oh, that was JFK....nevermind!!

Yeah, I was 10. I remember my parents sitting on the living room floor, playing Beatles albums and Double Fantasy. I couldn't understand why they were so sad. But now I do.

I think I remember Howard Cosell announcing John's death on Monday Night Football ... I do remember it was only a few weeks prior that John was in the crowd at a MNF game and got hooted and cat called and chased from the stadium.

Anybody else remember that or am I remembering things that never happened again?

I remember it was a sad Xmas that year.

I remember watching The Beatles live on the Ed Sullivan Show. Watching them having so much fun, the fans screaming, and the music! Oh, the music! Watching them then was what inspired me to pick up a guitar (along with a million other kids). Man, that sound! You just couldn't get enough of it! I think with the murder of John Lennon, that feeling that we got from the music of The Beatles and the hope of a reunion, suddenly died. That all-of-a-sudden, in-your-face reality just left everyone empty in a way that no other artist will ever come close to filling. I think I was more saddened by the passing of George Harrison. Musicians of that caliber and talent are quickly becoming extinct. (just listen to the crap thats being recorded today). I guess that's why I went acoustic years ago. Get back to the pure basic songs/melodies. Real music, simply played. There's nothing any better!

Wonder what kind of musical direction he would have gone in. I bet the Beatles would have had a reunion' date=' probably when they all got together to make new singles with Lennon's Free as a Bird, probably even before that. Probably would have toured with Ringo. Could be that if he were still here, might not even be making music much anymore, like George, before he passed.[/quote']

**** no he would be into metal.

Trust me. [biggrin] :-

That's beautiful work Rob!

I was totally devastated when I heard of his death. I was watching Monday night football at my friend's place and actually reading his interview in Playboy (yes READING THE ARTICLE!) when it came across the screen. I don't think I've ever recovered from it. He was my musical hero and he was just coming back from exile. I think I had almost worn out my copy of Double Fantasy. He was truly Starting Over and it was such and exciting time! It became a very dark Christmas that year.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUFjjkYuAk[/YOUTUBE]

The day he was murdered was just a big suck day! Lets not forget, he didn't just die, he was killed by a cold blooded murderer who hunted him down and shot him in the back. Sure John was capable of being a jerk at time's, but he also lived in a fish bowl for many years.

Chapman got off easy, if his family hadn't been rich he would have been toast, the little weasel. [sneaky]

Archived