Gibson Brands Forums

Noticing a Trend....

ShredAstaire

Been seeing many negative threads/posts around here and I think we've forgotten the ol "treat others how you want to be treated" rule....i'm certainly included in that.

Maybe its the holiday season turning people into Scrooges....maybe its external factors in people's lives. We should be able to get together here to talk about music and guitars. I don't care who likes the Jonas Brothers...no one should as it affects their life in no way. I also don't care if you don't agree with who I like to listen to.

I've heard the term 'fanboy' thrown around a lot lately. I don't see it as a negative term even though that is how it is used. Why do people care so much that someone REALLY likes an artist? Let's drop that garbage, no matter if the artist in question is Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Jimmy Page, Buckethead, Eric Clapton, Zakk Wylde, etc etc. No need to take jabs at someone because of their musical tastes.

Let's try to respect each others opinions even if you don't agree.

Pieces.

Truthfully I've felt lately the only thing i have in common with anyone else here is the fact that I own a couple gibsons.

That being said I'm not gonna post a big I'm leaving thread to bring attention to myself because I'm not leaving. I'll just check in see if anything grabs my interest and if not slowly back out of the room.

The same old discussions do tend to get boring. Who's the best this and whats the greatest that. Not complaining, just my own feeling.

I do love the picture post because you guys have some beauties and some of the guitar advice I've received has been very helpful.

I do think these things run in cycles and we have a couple of weeks of great postings and then not so much but its all good.

peace and love.

Been seeing many negative threads/posts around here and I think we've forgotten the ol "treat others how you want to be treated" rule....i'm certainly included in that.

Maybe its the holiday season turning people into Scrooges....maybe its external factors in people's lives. We should be able to get together here to talk about music and guitars. I don't care who likes the Jonas Brothers...no one should as it affects their life in no way. I also don't care if you don't agree with who I like to listen to.

I've heard the term 'fanboy' thrown around a lot lately. I don't see it as a negative term even though that is how it is used. Why do people care so much that someone REALLY likes an artist? Let's drop that garbage' date=' no matter if the artist in question is Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Jimmy Page, Buckethead, Eric Clapton, Zakk Wylde, etc etc. No need to take jabs at someone because of their musical tastes.

Let's try to respect each others opinions even if you don't agree.

Pieces.

[/quote']

^TRUTH

I hadn't noticed. It seems pretty much the same to me. When there's a lot of little names at the bottom of the page, there's more posts. More posts means more negative posts. I think it's the weather keeping people indoors instead of out in traffic, where that kind of behavior is tolerated and even expected.

Well... from the weather reports for the coming week, we could have more people sittin' inside and being grouchy for a while, anyway. <grin> It's darned chilly and snowing again here.

I haven't noticed so much negativity lately compared to "normal," though.

In fact, the praise of overall courtesy from posters of all ages here is kinda encouraging to me as an old guy who has been around just a bit.

I'll never forget some 35 years ago being asked by an accountant in Paris what I thought of his city.

Well, sez me, there are some nice folks, but many seem awfully grouchy.

His response was, "Yeah, but don't judge all of France by Paris unless you want me to judge all of the US by New York."

Actually I think there are lots of nice folks everywhere, but the increasing pace of life and larger populations of folks to get in each others' way today compared to when I was a kid is such that I think everybody is stressed more than 50 years ago. A lot more.

So... I really don't think we're that negative, all things considered. Some "young folks" get far more crude than I'd care to see, and more than when I was their age, but that's a sign of the times, I guess.

But if we're talking about a narrowness of musical focus... yeah, I feel that the "lounge" is pretty heavy with younger rock guys who are hearing at best echoes of the old days and who may not have a strong background in other guitar styles. That means the only thing to argue about is whether picker Joe is better than picker Ike. <grin>

m

My posts are almost entirely positive. If I feel like popping off on someone' date=' I just kick my dog instead. You guys should try to be more like me. [biggrin] [/quote']

I can't be expected to come all the way to Florida to kick your dog everytime someone gets me steamed. Why don't I just tell you about it and you kick him/her for me?

Been seeing many negative threads/posts around here and I think we've forgotten the ol "treat others how you want to be treated" rule....i'm certainly included in that....

Yeah' date=' me too; sorry. I've been in kind of ship-stirring mood lately, but I'll try to be a little more considerate.

I did kind of enjoy wearing that bucket yesterday, though...

[img']http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/MrNatural/avatarb.jpg[/img]

Well... from the weather reports for the coming week' date=' we could have more people sittin' inside and being grouchy for a while, anyway. <grin> It's darned chilly and snowing again here.

I haven't noticed so much negativity lately compared to "normal," though.

In fact, the praise of overall courtesy from posters of all ages here is kinda encouraging to me as an old guy who has been around just a bit.

I'll never forget some 35 years ago being asked by an accountant in Paris what I thought of his city.

Well, sez me, there are some nice folks, but many seem awfully grouchy.

His response was, "Yeah, but don't judge all of France by Paris unless you want me to judge all of the US by New York."

Actually I think there are lots of nice folks everywhere, but the increasing pace of life and larger populations of folks to get in each others' way today compared to when I was a kid is such that I think everybody is stressed more than 50 years ago. A lot more.

So... I really don't think we're that negative, all things considered. Some "young folks" get far more crude than I'd care to see, and more than when I was their age, but that's a sign of the times, I guess.

But if we're talking about a narrowness of musical focus... yeah, I feel that the "lounge" is pretty heavy with younger rock guys who are hearing at best echoes of the old days and who may not have a strong background in other guitar styles. That means the only thing to argue about is whether picker Joe is better than picker Ike. <grin>

m

[/quote']

Spoken like a true gentleman.:-s You have my undivided attention and admiration milod.[crying]

I haven't noticed too much negativity myself either. Just maybe a few people getting a bit ticked off 'cause they took things the wrong way.

A hint:if you're not sure what someone's saying-ask.

All in all,I see this as a virtual pub/tavern/inn -

sit down,shoot the sh*t and leave so you can come back without any hard feelings to do it again. Easy.:-({|=

Lowdown...

'Fraid most of my Oz friends are Queenslanders. <grin> In fact, one young lady came here to learn a bit about ranch work here and discovered that she didn't quite know how to handle ice and snow - but a true "cowgirl," even the horse spills on ice were seen as good clean fun. That did endear her to me 'cuz I know it hadda hurt. I dunno if the Brisbane paper used the piece I wrote for the local newspapers, but I sent it regardless.

I definitely agree that the "Lounge" area is kinda a "pub" atmosphere. Yeah, you can learn a lot, but it's more like a buncha folks sittin' around BSing.

In fact, I do wish sometimes that we could get a batch of us together for a cupla days of party. It's been discussed. In fact, I even had pretty much of approval for a theater, motel discounts, etc., at the geographical center of the US.

Doggone, but apparently the Gibson company didn't buy in.

But I think it'd be good for some of the younger guys to see that the older folks are human beings regardless of wrinkles and that the 30-40 somethings are ... somewhere in between with the special concerns we hear about with their own kids. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll have kids some day, too, when I grow up. Until then I guess I've only got some younger folks I've taught various skills and arts. Whatever.

It surely hits me, though, in that no matter how good a friendship I had with "old people" (above 30) when I was in my teens, they just seemed so ... different and ... old. <grin> This likely is a good reminder to me that once I too was there.

m

:-s Qld'ers are cool.Just a bit backward-joking!

Funny,but I loved listening to the old blokes(showing my age there by not saying guys-another crossover courtesy of you American's)shooting the sh*t. And some words of wisdom - if you shut up and listen long enough,you can learn a hell of a lot. Anyways....what was I saying:-k

Oh yeah,there's a lot to be learned on this forum.Some very intuitive people I've noticed.Some who also don't like having their toes stood on too,but ya get that.

Horses for courses milod. Giddy up! [crying]

Milod, I appreciate what you're saying. What I have noticed is that you tend to separate the "young ones" and the "older ones" in many of your posts....this is the internet and it shouldn't matter how old you are. I'm on a few other forums that have a very broad age spectrum and everyone gets along fine for the most part, young or older.

I think the more we talk about that division, the more obvious it becomes. I've seen plenty of immature posts from some of the more "mature" members here so I don't think its fair to say that the kids are the ones being immature....

I feel like i'm somewhere in the middle and I love learning from the older members....but hey, I also learn from the younger members sometimes too. They have a unique perspective that I enjoy occasionally.

So I think if we all think before we post, we could see less bashing, fueds etc. I'm guilty of the "quick-draw" post for sure....these fire people up and it escalates from there. I guess if we could all just try not to be the match near the gasoline, we could all learn a lot more from each other and get to know the people behind the screen names.

Pieces!

Shred...

I think the reason that I do indeed tend to separate "the young ones" and "the old ones" has more to do with musical experience than anything else.

It seems to me that the younger guys - and believe me, nothing "against" them - do not get in today's musical conceptual marketplace the range of material that I was exposed to as a kid 50 years ago.

Here's my theory on that and why I don't "blame" kids today since I'm currently in that same boat: Today's options for finding music of different sorts is far, far more open to anyone interested than even a generation ago - as are today's options for finding information on any and everything. The problem is one of editing and searching.

When I was a kid we had maybe a dozen radio stations, perhaps less than half a dozen with realistic musical choices, and four television channels. Even my great big console radio with an antenna only got perhaps a dozen more stations, perhaps some more at night that would fade in and out. Then there were "records" Mom and Dad had, and on a boring day, the reeeeally old records Grandma had for her wind-up machine.

So although the musical choices were relatively limited in terms of where, the radio and tv played swing, jazz, pop, rock, "classical" and - at night on that big machine - blues.

Today? Yeah, a "kid" <chortle> including a gray-haired one who loves the potential of our Internet "final encyclopedia," has so many options to listen to that it's incredible.

But there's only so much time to listen. So what does the "kid" with glowing eyes and brown or gray hair listen to? More of what we had only one or two rock stations to listen to, and not much else due to time constraints.

That's my point on that. I also think the optimism of the 1950s - in spite of bomb shelters and WWII guys teaching me some nasty defense techniques convinced I was gonna fight Russians or Chinese - gave also a different "zeitgeist" than the current spirit of economic entropy and lack of a solid vision in which today's teens are developing.

So... To be blunt, I thank my stars that I have access to today's technology for my own learning, entertainment and sheer joy - and that I need not be terribly concerned about having to live in a world I see coming 30 years hence.

Frankly too, I truly enjoy the company of many high school people an wish them nothing but the best possible lives in their own futures. I think guitar and other musical skills will be increasingly important for happiness in a world with fewer literal and perhaps more metaphorical opportunities than I once had access to.

m

Milod...cheers! I think I get you on that....the act of discovering new music is different now to even when I was younger (i'm 33 - like i said, somewhere in the middle).

Though I've found lately i've met a ton of younger folk who are REALLY into Zeppelin, The Beatles etc because their parents exposed them to it (OK, maybe Rock Band too)...I think its important for people to learn about the "roots" of the music you're listening to. I've recently been exposed to a ton of Blues that I had never heard before and I'm LOVING IT. I sometimes feel like the younger generation seems to be more open to checking out different styles of music that they are not used to.

Hopefully everyone at any age can keep their mind open to check out something new and respect someone else's opinion about what they like too. I ALWAYS take a listen to something thats recommended to me...with an open mind...some of it hits me, and some of it does not. I really think music is something that you need to feel a connection with in order to truly love it. I find that connection with some artists and I do not with others....its no disrespect to their talent and skill as a musician.

This thread has morphed a bit but I like where its gone...there's been some great points posted by many folk here. Like I said at the beginning, there are many great people here and very talented musicians.....most of you know a hell of a lot more about the guitar than I do and I really enjoy learning every day.

Instead of starting a new thread, i'll just say it here....i've always been a self taught player...power chords all over the place but recently i've been trying to hone my technique and learn a bit more theory. I find it hard to do that on my own, so I have decided to take a beginners Guitar course at the Royal Conservatory of Music here in Toronto. I think starting from scratch will be good for me.

So cheers to everyone who injects the positivity and reinforces the reason why many come here....to talk about music and guitars without fear of being bashed for liking something that someone else doesn't.

Thanks for the response milod!

Archived