Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson custom shop guitars vs. gibson USA guitars

nitro

I think the QC of Gibsons is very bad. I had to return two 08s due to QC problems (first was neck shrinkage, second was that the neck pup was not set at right angles to the neck), so decided to get an R9 thinking that the quality would at last be outstanding. I do love my R9 - it sounds and plays great but 4 things:

1: The control cavity plate sticks proud due to excess gunk in the recess (had to take a Dremel to it!).

2: There's a ding in the holly veneer of the headstock.

3: When removing the control cavity plate, the paint and varnish overspill is excessive and looks entirely amateurish. Really surprised amd disappointed me.

4: The maple top flaming was better on all my previous standards.

The overall QC of the custom shop does not seem to be any better that the USA ones - this is my personal experience.

Still after all my woes, I decided to keep the R9, though I do firmly believe that Gibson are firmly sitting on their laurels and it's only because of obsessd folks like me that they seem to stay in business.

I completely agree with the comment about the custom shop standards should be at least the 'standard' standard. It is all marketing hype that I fall for (including me!).

as for the depreciation' date=' do you feel the same way about luxury cars...or even all cars in general? they take a huge hit the second you drive them off the lot. that doesnt mean the car wont be the smoothest and most reliable vehicle you've ever had.[/quote']

I wouldnt spend that kind of $ on a dope car. Not with the pre-owned market so open and still offering factory warranties. Just not a smart financial decision for an individual with my budget. I did buy a new Hyundai Sonata four door sedan 3 years ago, and kind of wish I didnt. I drove an 86 Honda 2 door that I bought for $500 all through college without a single accident. Since I bought a new car, I have been rear ended twice and side swiped once. In all the car has been in the shop 3 times with over 25% of the value of the car into minor repairs. Thank god for insurance. Yeah, the first and last new car I will ever buy.

as for the depreciation' date=' do you feel the same way about luxury cars...or even all cars in general? they take a huge hit the second you drive them off the lot. that doesnt mean the car wont be the smoothest and most reliable vehicle you've ever had.[/quote']

CARS?? [blush]

When did cars and guitars have anything in common?

I do agree with the heavy depreciation of a new car, though I just can't see a guitar being driven on the street! :-s

I wouldnt spend that kind of $ on a dope car. Not with the pre-owned market so open and still offering factory warranties. Just not a smart financial decision for an individual with my budget. I did buy a new Hyundai Sonata four door sedan 3 years ago' date=' and kind of wish I didnt. I drove an 86 Honda 2 door that I bought for $500 all through college without a single accident. Since I bought a new car, I have been rear ended twice and side swiped once. In all the car has been in the shop 3 times with over 25% of the value of the car into minor repairs. Thank god for insurance. Yeah, the first and last new car I will ever buy. [/quote']

this is a statement made by someone who doesnt have that kinda money. believe me, i'm the same way. but if $80k was a drop in the bucket for me, i bet i would have a nice car. :-

but anyhoo, no one is disagreeing that CS LPs, or all Gibsons actually, are not overpriced. your analogy to used cars though is exactly my point. buy a used Historic...same guitar for a fraction of the price.

I think the QC of Gibsons is very bad. I had to return two 08s due to QC problems (first was neck shrinkage' date=' second was that the neck pup was not set at right angles to the neck), so decided to get an R9 thinking that the quality would at last be outstanding. I do love my R9 - it sounds and plays great but 4 things:

1: The control cavity plate sticks proud due to excess gunk in the recess (had to take a Dremel to it!).

2: There's a ding in the holly veneer of the headstock.

3: When removing the control cavity plate, the paint and varnish overspill is excessive and looks entirely amateurish. Really surprised amd disappointed me.

4: The maple top flaming was better on all my previous standards.

The overall QC of the custom shop does not seem to be any better that the USA ones - this is my personal experience.

Still after all my woes, I decided to keep the R9, though I do firmly believe that Gibson are firmly sitting on their laurels and it's only because of obsessd folks like me that they seem to stay in business.

I completely agree with the comment about the custom shop standards should be at least the 'standard' standard. It is all marketing hype that I fall for (including me!).

[/quote']

why did you buy it.....

I agree with you. This is a big reason why I have never bought a guitar without playing it first. Getting a guitar is a VERY slow process for me. Each one was at least a 3 month process after the initial decision was made to buy a new one. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't found any flaw in any Taylor or PRS guitar I ever saw, which is certainly not true for Gibson. But the good news is that if you are patient, then you'll find a good Gibson guitar, custom shop or not.

why did you buy it.....

Because I am a complete impulsive sucker - that's why. Cos after 2 x 08s which were no good I was desparate to get a good one and I thought custom shop was the way to go - I trusted the custom shop hype, and cos here in the UK there were only about two R9s in the country. I LOVE Les Pauls - irrationally - I only wish the QC was as good as PRS (or even Fender for that matter). I also love my wife, but she's not perfect!

at least youre honest. lol

and i suppose being in the UK makes Historics a bit harder to come by. my experience with QC is this: any imperfection that doesnt affect function is not a reason to reject a guitar, it's a reason to buy it for a lower price. Dont get me wrong, for that amount of money I would expect top notch. But Gibson is Gibson and anyone who knows anything about Gibson guitars knows the risks. its the way it has always been. But i'll take a sloppy Les Paul over a soulless PRS every time and without exception.

Archived