Gibson Brands Forums

The new admin?

dem00n

It's always the IP address that catches 'em. Back in the days of dial up (well, I suppose we're not totally out of that), the slick ones would make an ID, post then log off from their ISP. Then, they'd dial up again, receive a new IP address and do whatever - that's when you start breaking down the address by octets and dealing with a... *ahem* "wider" sweep. I once banned AOL for 20 minutes when modding on a major gaming network's message board while dealing with one tool. After I removed the IP range, I had to go deal with a LOT of upset people in the unban queue who were wondering what they did wrong. }[confused]> Of course, that's not as bad as the one mod who accidentally banned nearly the entire country of Canada.

It's always the IP address that catches 'em. Back in the days of dial up (well' date=' I suppose we're not totally out of that), the slick ones would make an ID, post then log off from their ISP. Then, they'd dial up again, receive a new IP address and do whatever - that's when you start breaking down the address by octets and dealing with a... *ahem* "wider" sweep. I once banned AOL for 20 minutes when modding on a major gaming network's message board while dealing with one tool. After I removed the IP range, I had to go deal with a LOT of upset people in the unban queue who were wondering what they did wrong. }[confused]> Of course, that's not as bad as the one mod who accidentally banned nearly the entire country of Canada.[/quote']

i have no idea what any of this means. sad.

It's geeky, jannusguy. Unless you're at least somewhat of a computer nerd, it probably reads like gibberish. Here's a brief explanation...

Every computer or device on a network (like the internet) has a unique identification number (or address) assigned to it known as an IP address. Some of those numbers are permanent (a web site has a permanent number, an "always on" internet connection like cable or FIOS to a home computer is given a semi-permanent number) but a person who uses a dial up connection receives a temporary ID number (IP address). With dial up, that temporary number is drawn from a pool of numbers in a range and, when the person logs off from the dial up connection, the number goes back in the pool for someone else to use. So, when that same person dials up again, the chances are very great that they'll then receive a different ID number than they did the last time for the duration that they are logged on.

So, with a unique identifying number a web site or, in this case, message board administrator can block someone or bunch of people from using their web site with controls that use the IP address as an identifier.

Archived