Gibson Brands Forums

Weight relieved Les Paul

djroge1

Does anyone really like those weight relieved Les Pauls? I forgot how light they were until I visited a store recently and played one.

They would be hard to get used to. The one I played felt lighter than my strat.

I didn't like it at all.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

djroge, may I ask - what's the point of this thread?

"Does anyone really like those weight relieved Les Pauls?" makes it sound like "those are so horrible, how can anyone like those?" How do you really expect this thread to turn out?

Do you own a Les Paul? Guess what? Unless it's around 30 years old, or a historic reissue, it's weight-relieved.

Well I guess you own one then....

And no it doesn't make it sound as you said and in fact it shows your arrogance by making this statement, "makes it sound like "those are so horrible, how can anyone like those?""

If I had meant that I would have said that. I meant what I asked "Does anyone really like this guitar?"

and I've owned my Les Paul probably longer than you've been playing guitar. You were probably still in 3 corner britches when I got my LP.

My arrogance? You're the one that started this thread.

Does anyone really like this guitar?

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Standards are weight-relieved.

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Customs are weight-relieved.

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Studios are weight-relieved.

Etc.

Does anyone really like this guitar? It's only been around for 26 years and counting, what do you think?

I'm 31 years old. You're older than me, so what? Please tell me what that has to do with anything. The fact that you've been playing Les Pauls since I was in 3 corner britches and don't know what weight-relieved means just goes to show that you know nothing about them. Let me guess, you meant chambered Les Pauls. Way to go smart guy. [biggrin]

My arrogance? You're the one that started this thread.

Does anyone really like this guitar?

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Standards are weight-relieved.

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Customs are weight-relieved.

1983 to 2007 Les Paul Studios are weight-relieved.

Etc.

Does anyone really like this guitar? It's only been around for 26 years and counting' date=' what do you think?

I'm 31 years old. You're older than me, so what? Please tell me what that has to do with anything. The fact that you've been playing Les Pauls since I was in 3 corner britches and don't know what weight-relieved means just goes to show that you know nothing about them. Let me guess, you meant chambered Les Pauls. Way to go smart guy. [crying

Ahhh you must feel good about your superior self. Arrogance shines through bright and clear. [biggrin]

What happen.....what did I missed?

You didn't miss anything. With the exception of a post by AXE who has since deleted his post (a helpful post at that).

I guess I didn't phrase my question in a kinder and gentler and politically correct manner and r9 decided to start junk.

Are9 you are arrogant. I remember a post you put up a while back that

stated you can't play a $1000 Gibson but you could play a $1000 Fender.

You quickly edited the post. Luckily I don't have the problem and can play

a guitar of any value it comes with practice.

CW

What? R9 arrogant?

I actually respect the fact that having the collection he has he actually is scientific about guitar related things and not a snub. All he is trying to say is that this subject starts a lot of crap, no matter how you word it..

Chambered Les Pauls are quite alluring to guys like me that have a bad back and actually like to play standing up for hours. Do they feel weird? maybe, but it feels worse to play a 12lb LP standing up for 3 hours. I would take the chambered LP and get used to it.

Does anyone really like those weight relieved Les Pauls?

Sorry but this line comes across as "Why would anybody like those weight relieved Les Pauls." That is how I took it.

With that said, I have a 2007 as mentioned in my sig. Upgraded the Pots/Caps and loved the sound of the guitar. Actually like the BB Pros but thought they lacked a little fullness, a little too much upper mids and highs. Bought some BB1/BB2 used and put them in. I like the BB1/BB2 better as it has more warmth/mids/fullness to my ears.

Just my opinion but I love the guitar. Even my tech comments about the playability and the tone and he has a few historics and works on many also. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you may get a dud. Just got to find the one that sings to you.

The last Les Paul I owned was a '72 Recording. It was not weight relieved.

Having said that, I bought my daughter an '08 Fireburst studio last November, and it's chambered and I snuck it out and gigged it (just to make sure it was okay [biggrin] ) and like it very much.

I'm considering buying one just to beat it up in the clubs.

are we talking about weight relieved or chambered? obviously people love the weight relief, because gibson released the traditional in response to the protests against chambering. i have played many a fine traditional.

as for chambering, i dont mind it. i have played some smoking VMs. interestingly enough though, i am yet to meet a chambered standard (not including the Std Faded) i really like, though i admit i havent played a huge number of them.

i think a lot of it has to do with pickup selection. i think the BB Pros sound good on chambered guitars. i do NOT like them as much on weight-relieved Lesters. i also really like the BFG (sound). play what ya like. ymmv

Well, I'm 45 and I love my chambered Les Paul and my back and my ears agree, it's the way to go. I think you get more of an acoustic warmth with the chambered. Remeber, if a guitar sounds good unplugged, the same tone will vibrate through the strings to the pickups.

My 2.5k LP seems about the same quality as my 1.2k strat. But each has their own sound and I enjoy them for different reasons.

Well' date=' I'm 45 and I love my chambered Les Paul and my back and my ears agree, it's the way to go. I think you get more of an acoustic warmth with the chambered. Remeber, if a guitar sounds good unplugged, the same tone will vibrate through the strings to the pickups.

My 2.5k LP seems about the same quality as my 1.2k strat. But each has their own sound and I enjoy them for different reasons.

[/quote']

An acoustic warmth... Never thought of that. Good description.

To be honest, I don't know which it was I picked up - weight relieved or chambered. It was leaning against an amp so I just picked it up and played it. The weight or lack there of, caught me by surprise so it probably was chambered.

Archived