Gibson Brands Forums

Help a relic out!

Cruznolfart

Although I've bought a few as gifts, I don't really know squat about mp3 players. I've decided to go ahead and get one, all it has to do is store music files. I don't give a rat's rump about video, games, day-planning, net-surfing or taking pictures. I just wanna load some files onto it and play 'em back on various devices. Time to move on from my cd's. :-

So...without further ado, what are the opinions with respect to best-bang-for-buck, bare-bones mp3 player? I don't care about brands but durability is important.

Thanks folks. I do appreciate your help. If it doesn't have moving parts, I have a hard time understanding it at all. [blush]

I had a Creative Muvo player before the iPods came out. It was pretty basic - no display, etc. I have no experience with any of their newer devices. Since then I have two iPods and an iPhone. I'm completely happy with all three. I love making playlists - it's like mix tapes but easier and longer. I have all my cool s**t within easy access in the car on my 20gb (old school I know). I also have a Nano which I rotate music into. It's small and more portable -- great for working out or slipping into your pocket. I have music on my iPhone, but rarely listen to it. Probably because i have the other two. Generally I don't use ear buds or headphones. Instead I plug them into my car stereo, home stereo, stereo in my garage, etc.

Not sure exactly the info you are looking for, but that is my mp3 player experience in general.

I kinda like iPods for the same reason I like Windows... It mostly works.

I bought Mrs. Riverside an iPod Nano 16g for her Christmas gift.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

16g is enough.

160g is more than she would ever use.

My entire library is only 22.5g. Some of that is the crap that my daughters filled up with stuff that I don't listen to...

There's something to be said for the 800lb gorilla.

Thanks guys! I looked at the nano and a couple others, and it looks like the nano would be just about perfect. 16g would hold everything from my current collection that I'd want on it and still allow for some fresh downloads.

Surf, I like doing playlists, too. Currently, if I wanna listen somewhere else, it means I gotta burn a cd. So I'll be glad to experience your portability AND playlist capability; perfect!

What's the life expectancy of one of these things? Not the battery but the mp3 player. I assume they ultimately get slow or something...? I understand it's probably relative to time used. Just wondering. Thanks again.

What's the life expectancy of one of these things? Not the battery but the mp3 player. I assume they ultimately get slow or something...? I understand it's probably relative to time used. Just wondering. Thanks again.

I've got an iPod (third Gen - 5 years old?) Still works fine.

I guess it depends on how often you drop it.

I like the Ipod.

May I suggest one with a screen. It doesn't seem like that big of deal until you get a song stuck in your head and you need to search for it.

I don't remember which one has the screen?

I have an Iphone to hold stuff ~ I really need a 120 gig player to hold my whole collection.

Thanks guys! I looked at the nano and a couple others' date=' and it looks like the nano would be just about perfect. 16g would hold everything from my current collection that I'd want on it and still allow for some fresh downloads.

Surf, I like doing playlists, too. Currently, if I wanna listen somewhere else, it means I gotta burn a cd. So I'll be glad to experience your portability AND playlist capability; perfect!

What's the life expectancy of one of these things? Not the battery but the mp3 player. I assume they ultimately get slow or something...? I understand it's probably relative to time used. Just wondering. Thanks again.[/quote']

nanos hold up better because they use flash memory compared to a disk hard drive

Should last plenty long, until you feel the urge to get a new one, or you drop it a ton as Riverside mentioned

I "resisted" the iPod thing for a long while, the stereo in my car plays MP3s and so does my player at the office so I thought that was sufficient, then I bought an iPod for my wife and I came to the realization that I was wrong before.

Having all of your music in a compact device that can go anywhere with a battery that lasts for hours is just incredible.

You have to have a computer with enough space to house your song library and I would recommend you to get the iPod classic, at 80GB you can store a bunch of songs and pictures, you can use it as a portable hard drive for data as well.

With more room in your iPod you can compress your mp3 less so you get better fidelity from your player which is important when you plug it into a stereo with larger speakers.

I think the 16 Gig iPod Nano is the way to go. I like it because it's a flash drive, and that means less moving parts inside. I dropped my 120 Gig iPod Classic, and I had to get a new one because the hard drive inside broke. I'm not saying the Nano is indestructible but it might last a little longer if you're accident prone like myself. [thumbup]

Archived