Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson RD Artist question

Musical Shore

I just got this guitar and I love it. Absolutely love it! I don't understand why it gets a bad rap. It plays great. However, I'm finding my way around the electronics. Anyway, I just read what Bruce Bolen had said about the impetus behind it:

One of the particular musical qualities that I personally was looking for in one of the models, was a similar effect to that of a steel player - this being the reduction of the intitial attack and the swell of the note after the initial attack had been made. A steel player of course uses a volume pedal to accomplish this but it was still something missing. Bob designed a special circuit that would achieve this as well as an expansion circuit unlike any other that had been designed to date.

How do I make that volume swell happen? Any ideas?

Michael

I just got this guitar and I love it. Absolutely love it! I don't understand why it gets a bad rap. It plays great. However' date=' I'm finding my way around the electronics. Anyway, I just read what Bruce Bolen had said about the impetus behind it:

[i']One of the particular musical qualities that I personally was looking for in one of the models, was a similar effect to that of a steel player - this being the reduction of the intitial attack and the swell of the note after the initial attack had been made. A steel player of course uses a volume pedal to accomplish this but it was still something missing. Bob designed a special circuit that would achieve this as well as an expansion circuit unlike any other that had been designed to date.[/i]

How do I make that volume swell happen? Any ideas?

Michael

Because it's horrible [blink]

According to; http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/09/gibson-rd-electric-guitars.html

quote;

Three RD electric guitar models were made ( RD Standard , RD Custom , and the gibson RD Artist) , one of the more interesting features of these guitars is that some were fitted with a bob moog compression and expansion preamp .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So,...that swelling effect was supposed to be caused by the circuit. I imagine like a compressor pedal dimed.

I had an MXR Dynacomp that cut down the intial pick attack and brought up the volume as the guitar signal decayed to a point that it wouldn't decay anymore.

I imagine this is the circuit that requires a 9v battery.

Vintage Guitar Price Value :

1977 - 1979 > $1000 to $1400 ( RD Standard )

1977 - 1979 > $1150 to $1500 ( RD Custom )

1977 - 1982 > $1200 to $1600 ( RD Artist )

It seems like an interesting piece. I have a buddy with an RD with out the pre amp circuit. It sounds like a regular Gibson.

You should do some research.

Archived