Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay scam

ksdaddy

Scam

I sent him an email saying:

Is $1700 the correct price? If so, I'll take it. How should we close this deal?

(of course I didn't use my regular email....)

The auction will be pulled soon I'm sure, I've just always been curious how one of these boneheads would react if they actually got a response to their bait.

im curious KSDADDY...

usually i look at these "fake" threads and after looking at the guitars in question im able to pick up a few things that i have learned on this site (truss rod cover screws...size of "gibson" on the headstock etc...)

but on this...unless the wood grain is off or the label is made incorrectly...i personally would have a hard time seein if it were real or fake...

you can pm me if you dont want too much info out for anyone to see...but i always respected your insight and was just really curious is all!

(as you can see work is riveting right about now!)

I've seen a number of guitars up on ebay with the same format. i.e. "Buy it now for $1700, No bids etc." I've seen these listed under 2 or 3 different seller names and locations (Maryland and Long Island are two I can remember). Even the font in the description is the same on all of them.

Click on his other items and see what else you can get for 1700. A nice L5CES or a '57 Strat.

aaaaah i gotcha!

the $55,000 were done by bidders who think its worth that much!

hahaha

ok im racking my brain trying to see why the guitar was a fake...its the sale itself that is the scam!

now at least i know im not crazy!

thanks guys for letting us know about this/helping me understand my paranoia!

The "seller" hacked into someone's ebay account and is offering a guitar that is NOT HIS at a ridiculously low price. Everyone is bidding the guitar up just as a joke. Nobody is serious about the guitar or the auction.

His response:

Hello,

The buy it now price is US $1,700 with shipping charges included. It is in perfect condition. The deal will be made through an eBay program which will protect both of us. If you are ready for the purchase i just need your full name and full shipping address so i can start the deal with eBay.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Thank you,

Nigel

Yeah, I just bet. I wonder if he'd take a third party out of state postdated check?

The "seller" hacked into someone's ebay account and is offering a guitar that is NOT HIS at a ridi****usly low price. Everyone is bidding the guitar up just as a joke. Nobody is serious about the guitar or the auction.

His response:

Hello' date='

The buy it now price is US $1,700 with shipping charges included. It is in perfect condition. The deal will be made through an eBay program which will protect both of us. If you are ready for the purchase i just need your full name and full shipping address so i can start the deal with eBay.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Thank you,

Nigel[/i']

Yeah, I just bet. I wonder if he'd take a third party out of state postdated check?

Just give him your bank account number..... I'm sure this is legit!

A Ray Whitley J200. I'm sure it wa legit on ebay at some point. Much like the 1955 Les Paul I sold in 2005. It showed up on ebay at least a dozen times in the next year!

I don't do this often, certainly not for "three digit" guitars, but on the rare occasion I sell a guitar with an anticipated selling price of over $1000 I will photoshop 'ksdaddy' over the pics so it's harder for them to steal it.

I use the verb 'photoshop' in the general sense; I'm still using MGI Photo Suite for Windows 95. Geek I not.

Ha ha, I just got another email from him. I questioned why he would sell it to me for $1700 when it ws bidded up to $55K. He responded that it was at $55K because a Nigerian bid on it.

Archived