Gibson Brands Forums

Pictures - What a Difference!

Tim Plains

So, I took a few family shots of my guitars to upload to Facebook and was I amazed when I noticed some flame on my Standard.

It's nowhere near a monster flame...and I'm not trying to pass it off as such, but I was really stunned to see how well it turned out in this picture. Every picture I've taken of my Standard has shown absolutely no flame, as you'll see below. Even in person, she doesn't have much...but in the third picture below, it turned out well.

I'm guessing this is typical because whenever I look at R9 or R0 picture threads at other forums, it's always the same pictures over and over. Must be hard to truly capture a monster flame in a picture.

I'm not going to go as far as say it looks like a completely different guitar...but the difference is almost night-and-day.

Agree?

No flame

Picture026-1.jpg

No flame

Picture025-1.jpg

Flame

Picture075-1.jpg

Great guitars Tim...

I had mentioned this very same thing. You can take 20 pictures of your guitar' date=' and it looks

different. Depending on lights, angle of shot etc...[/quote']

Yeah well, guess what I'm doing tomorrow...taking 20 pictures of my guitar! =;

You can take 20 pictures of your guitar' date=' and it looks

different. Depending on lights, angle of shot etc...[/quote']

YES!!!

I noticed this years ago, on my Cherry Sunburst.

Take lots of pics.

Inside, outside.

Lotsa lights, low light with a flash.

Slightly different angles, onstage under lights, etc.

My 335 is really amazing.

In some pics it just looks like a red 335.

In others it has a tight, distinct flame that blows you away!

Actually, it's somewhere in the middle.

Nice pattern, kinda subtle, but not that distinct.

You got a good lookin' guitar there!

I wonder if the last picture shows up better because it's from the bottom and the flame is running left to right? You know, it's kinda like your looking across the grain rather than with the grain. Plus the binding stands out more because in the first two, it almost blends in with the carpet underneath. Either way, it's a very pretty top! I love brown guitars!

Rich, it's awesome! It just looks like a pile of crap =D>

The neck is sweet

The P-90 is nice...except the hum

I only wish it was heavier

I love heavy Les Pauls

I don't see why people don't like the kill switch. Granted, I barely use it myself, but every once in a while I give 'er O:)

Nice very axe blue!

You are right Tim A... My DB Std. is the same... every picture looks different depending on light and angle... sometimes showing almost no flame at all. See below with and without flash, specifically the area around the pups and around the toggle switch:

With Flash:

100_0550.jpg

Without Flash:

100_0549.jpg

Tim A...

What do you mean kill switch?

When im using the bridge pup' date=' I shut off the volume to the neck pup. Then I can toggle up, and

achieve a kill switch.

Is there something diff on the BFG?[/quote']

Yeah, BFG's have a switch that does it for you.

Have a look at my BFG again, there's no tone knob for the rhythm pup. In it's place is the pickup selector.

The one tone knob is a master tone knob for both pups.

The traditional pickup selector is replaced with a switch that kills the signal to both pickups.

Figured maple is a very complicated thing. I noticed that with my violin (it has a flamed maple back) that since the flame changes depending upon what angle you're looking at it, you can never get all of the flame to show at once. There's at least one small part that disappears at every angle that you put it at.....

Well, I took several pictures again today, but nothing worth posting.

I was going to take some outdoor pictures, but it's still a little too cold for her to go outside. Once the weather warms up a little more, I'll take her out, snap some shots and resurrect this thread.

Hey, there's a thought...an outdoor pictures only thread.

hmmm.........

Well, today was nice enough to take her out.

Yeah, it's all about angles. Looking at my own pictures, I'm really surprised how the same top can look so different.

This first one is what I'm used to seeing.

Picture073-1.jpg

Picture040.jpg

This one really surprised me. The whole top has flame.

Picture033.jpg

Picture050.jpg

So' date=' I took a few family shots of my guitars to upload to Facebook and was I amazed when I noticed some flame on my Standard.

It's nowhere near a monster flame...and I'm not trying to pass it off as such, but I was really stunned to see how well it turned out in this picture. Every picture I've taken of my Standard has shown absolutely no flame, as you'll see below. Even in person, she doesn't have much...but in the third picture below, it turned out well.

I'm guessing this is typical because whenever I look at R9 or R0 picture threads at other forums, it's always the same pictures over and over. Must be hard to truly capture a monster flame in a picture.

I'm not going to go as far as say it looks like a completely different guitar...but the difference is almost night-and-day.

Agree?

No flame

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/Picture026-1.jpg[/img]

No flame

Picture025-1.jpg

Flame

Picture075-1.jpg

Yo Tim A, Can you tell me what you think about the sound with both-on in the BFG with the burstbucker III & the p-90 vs. your other 2 pauls. Is the bfg in your opinion the best sound-in. Or are you just not ever going to or want to talk to cudamax2343, tell me or just don't respond to me personally and I will leave it/you alone.

Yo Tim A' date=' Can you tell me what you think about the sound with both-on in the BFG with the burstbucker III & the p-90 vs. your other 2 pauls. Is the bfg in your opinion the best sound-in. Or are you just not ever going to or want to talk to cudamax2343, tell me or just don't respond to me personally and I will leave it/you alone.[/quote']

What are you talking about? Did you ask me something elsewhere...am I missing something here?

BFG sound...it's sweet. Different obviously 'cause it's a single coil. Would I recommend a BFG...yes.

Truthfully, when I'm play that guitar it's almost always in the neck position and I play it clean. Dont' get me wrong, it sounds great in all three positions, but the main reason I bought it was for the P-90. I didn't want to spend $3,000+ on a P-90 gold top. The unfinished neck feels really nice, too. Like every P-90 though, it hums a bit. The one thing that I didn't like at first was the one tone knob. It serves both pickups...but it doesn't bother me anymore.

You've got around 50 guitars, right? What's one more? =D> Go and try one out...

Comparison?

I really don't compare my guitars to one another. They all sound different and they all sound great. I appreciate each of them for their individual tones. I love playing all six of them and it really depends what I'm in the mood for.

But, if you're asking me to compare pickup outputs...well, none of my guitars can compete with the Custom for shear output. 490R/498T. If I'm playing any other guitar and then switch to the Custom, it's noticeably louder and I have to turn the amp down. She's a screamer!

Archived