Gibson Brands Forums

How a Semi-Hollowbody's heel joint ought to look

brundaddy

Is that bigsby a neck-through? or is it just a 3 piece body?

I have always wondered why they've left the Les Paul neck joint so bulky, when even with the construction abilities of the 60's and 70's they easily could have made a more comfortable neck joint.

however, the ES-style neck joints are already veryaccessible and comfortable. Also the ES guitars are semi or full hollow bodies with glued on tops and bottoms, so doing that kind of neck joint wouldn't really be feasible.

The Bigsby is set-neck.

There's no question Gibson could make this kind of heel happen on a semi-hollowbody ES, Gibson just likes to let somebody else do it first and then wait 60 years before Gibson uses the idea. Why not have a neck-through (or neck-'into') semi hollow? Set the pups, bridge, & tailpiece into the neck slab & chop the slab right behind the tailpiece. It would be very feasible.

I'm just saying, I've seen *other* single-cutaway semi-hollowbodies that had well-reduced neck heels...

Of course, if Les Paul himself couldn't get Gibson to make neck-through guitars, I sure as hell can't. I just thought the idea might spark some interest.

aren't firebirds neck through? another problem with neck-through is that the body throws less into the equation than the neck wood. being a carvin fan myself, I've read the massive debates over the three types of neck joints: set, neck through, and bolt, as carvin offers all three.

For a semi-hollow, I definitely prefer a set-neck, as I feel it is more resonant and allows the body to resonate more.

Now, also remember that carvin semi-hollow guitars are made like the CS-336, from a solid piece of mahogany that is routed out, so it's easier for them to make the sculpted heel. but of course, carvin is also "new" to the semi-hollow game, and they don't have the to please the historically accurate crowd. They can make it look however they want.

Archived