Gibson Brands Forums

Most useless gadgets/tools

Lowdown

So,like the post says - what's the most useless,though at the time sounded promising,gadgets or tools for your guitar or whatever that you've ever bought.

I got these thinking that it would give me a good starting/reference point to start from - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Neck,_fingerboard/Understring_Radius_Gauges.html

They ended up being the most useless pieces of tin I have ever purchased. Maybe good in theory,but absolutely terrible when it came to the practical side of actually using them. Delegated to the "never to see the light of day again" drawer.

So...what's yours?

My wife had the best of intentions when she surprised me with a L.E.D. tuner, with a built in, motorized key winder, that in theory would turn the machine head until the guitar was in perfect tune.

I tried it, and the winder worked GREAT, until it met the least bit of resistance, at which time it stopped, and just sat there making a sick,sort of gurgling noise. (Fresh batteries were no help at all)

So, now I have the neatest L.E.D. tuner, with a spinning "thingie" on the side of it, that hasn't gone over a keyhead since.

I saw that Hot/Cold cordless soldering iron on TV and had to have it. My wife got it for me as a birthday present. It worked great for about the 1st three tries. After that, not so much. I went back to the old school soldering iron. Not guitar only but the commercial showed a guy connecting pick ups.

Glad to know that the jelly fish pick is a piece o junk.

So' date='like the post says - what's the most useless,though at the time sounded promising,gadgets or tools for your guitar or whatever that you've ever bought.

I got these thinking that it would give me a good starting/reference point to start from - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Neck,_fingerboard/Understring_Radius_Gauges.html

They ended up being the most useless pieces of tin I have ever purchased. Maybe good in theory,but absolutely terrible when it came to the practical side of actually using them. Delegated to the "never to see the light of day again" drawer.

So...what's yours?[/quote']

Weird... I use the hell out of mine, but they're for Fender-style bridges, where you can adjust the height of each string. Gibson's TOM bridge renders these things obsolete though.

Weird... I use the hell out of mine' date=' but they're for Fender-style bridges, where you can adjust the height of each string. Gibson's TOM bridge renders these things obsolete though.[/quote']

In theory,it's a great tool. Practical-wise,as I said,it is a freaking waste of time and a complete pain in the bum to manouver into place under the strings and then back out again.

I found it way easier and faster to use the old way of feel,sight and trial & error. Doesn't take long to adjust a bridge(yes we are talking strat/tele bridges at the moment)anyway unless it is totally out of whack.

Still wished I'd saved my $20 odd bucks though.

I will add - the one thing they are good for is letting you know the radius of your necks.

Well...

Hmmmm.....

I've bought more than my share of capos that don't work well on any of my guitar necks. A "stomp box" from the early 1970s just destroyed any sound coming from the guitar.

Strings? More sets I didn't like than that I did.

Problem with some "gadgets" is that having just one of something you like doesn't work, so you've gotta get a batch.

I'd half like to have an inexpensive tuner but... I keep wondering what's wrong with a pitch pipe. I dunno. <chortle> I showed a pitch pipe to several young friends last year and they both just got blank expressions when I told them what it was and what it was for. They pretty well found it difficult to believe you actually could tune an instrument with the thing.

m

I showed a pitch pipe to several young friends last year and they both just got blank expressions when I told them what it was and what it was for. They pretty well found it difficult to believe you actually could tune an instrument with the thing.

[lol] You're always good for a laugh milod.[blink]

I buy crap on a fairly regular basis probably the worst ever was a MusiciansFriend dumb deal of the day I bought a cd player that muted the voices on any cd. It was made by Alesis if I remember and cost like $79.00.

It looked great and was so lame the only way you could say it muted the voices was that the unit muted the cd audio about 90% and added so much static that you could not hear the vocals at all. Luckily MF has a liberal return policy and when I called to get a return number the guy just laughed and said yeah we get about 90% of these back.

Weird... I use the hell out of mine' date=' but they're for Fender-style bridges, where you can adjust the height of each string. Gibson's TOM bridge renders these things obsolete though.[/quote']

Me too. I did decent Fender set ups for 20 years by eye and feel. However, I do them better now with the radius gauges (and a few other) tools from Stew Mac. One of my better investments I'd say.

Me too. I did decent Fender set ups for 20 years by eye and feel. However' date=' I do them better now with the radius gauges (and a few other) tools from Stew Mac. One of my better investments I'd say.

[/quote']

Good for you sunshine.[bored]

They're a template. Great for a reference/starting point. After that,you shape out by feel. Every guitar/player's different.

Here's another - http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/08/29/a-guitar-pick-with-training-wheels-zerogravity-orbit-guitar-pick/

I always wanted an L6S.

I don't know why.

Now the prices are crazy on them when you find a nice example.

Gadgets?

I dunno, I'm a skeptic and pretty old fashioned anyhow.

I'm big on good strings, picks and cables - I avoid gimmickery for the most part.

I've owned a few Korean-made guitars that were complete and utter sh!t.

Archived