Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarists who dont get too much love here.

DAS44

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many guitar players who don't get much love, that's a hard question to answer. I've never heard many people talk about Mich Mars from Motley Crue. I think he's a great musician who just loves music. Ya he's a little odd but I remember seeing him in an interview saying he just can't put down his guitar because he loves it so much. He loves playing blues along with his usual metal stuff. Oh and he's been spotted a lot with a Gibson Custom(s)

Jari.jpg

Jari Mäenpää from Finland. No he doesn't use Gibsons but I think he's a brilliant composer. Poor guy has been running into problem after problem trying to release his newest album since 2008. Virtual high five for anyone in the forum who knows and appreciates his work.

The prog rock guys generally don't seem to get that much attention.

People like Mick Box from Uriah Heep, Ted Turner and Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash, Rich Williams and Kerry Livgren from Kansas, Jan Akkerman from Focus, and Allan Holdsworth had/have some of the finest chops in the business, IMO.

Luckily, Alex Lifeson and the wonderful Robert Fripp have been getting some pretty good recognition as of late, so maybe there's hope?

........Like?

Just to name a few...

Rock guitarists: Johnny Marr, Luther Dickinson, Chris Haskett, Troy Van Leeuwen, Herschel Yankovitz

Jazz guitarists: Philip Catherine, Bill Frisell, Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Frank Möbus, Brad Shepik, Wayne Krantz, Jonathan Kreisberg, Adam Rogers, Bireli Lagrene, Angelo Debarre, Tchavolo Schmitt, Stochelo Rosenberg, Romane, Moreno

Archived