Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarists who dont get too much love here.

DAS44

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I'd say almost anyone other than some rock guys and maybe a half dozen "other" players are kinda left out.

Classical... jazz... flamenco... country... bluegrass...

Part of that, I think, is the self-selection process of the folks who register and participate in the forum. Part of that may also be a matter of age and inclination.

I look at a lot of the "guitar gurus" of the folk persuasion who were considered "wonderful pickers" in the 1950s and 1960s and who are not at all getting much technical consideration today.

And there are a lot of incredible technicians today who even win this or that competition and nobody's ever heard of them.

I'm also not sure that technical ability, even incredible overall talent, makes much difference nowadays if something doesn't "click" to get a name well-known. On the other hand... I'm not sure that this is only a current problem.

m

Chuck Berre doesnt get much love here' date=' but I love his stuff.

Any guys who you think don't get enough love?[/quote']

I worked with Chuck Berry in San Francisco back in the 60's. He was a real showman. Didn't really get to know him at all. Years later, his motor home caught fire, (one of the many things I do is investigate heavy-duty vehicle accidents and fires), and had to deal with him on that.

The ONLY thing he saved from that fire was his guitar...and his insurance refused to cover the loss because he didn't insure it as a commercial vehicle, but was using it for touring....poor guy.....

After that he got caught peeking into the girls restrooms at his restaurant somewhere....you can see how his career started going downhill...but after all, he's about a day older'n dirt now anyway.....

And he's STILL doin' better than Tiger Wood!!

I worked with Chuck Berry in San Francisco back in the 60's. He was a real showman. Didn't really get to know him at all. Years later' date=' his motor home caught fire, (one of the many things I do is investigate heavy-duty vehicle accidents and fires), and had to deal with him on that.

The ONLY thing he saved from that fire was his guitar...and his insurance refused to cover the loss because he didn't insure it as a commercial vehicle, but was using it for touring....poor guy.....

After that he got caught peeking into the girls restrooms at his restaurant somewhere....you can see how his career started going downhill...but after all, he's about a day older'n dirt now anyway.....

And he's STILL doin' better than Tiger Wood!![/quote']

I've had some experience dealing with motorhomes... If Chuck didn't insure it a a commercial vehicle, well, then, Liar-liar-pants-on-fire.

He prolly saved $50.

I did like watching the Keef-influenced vid - "Hail Hail Rock and Roll"... but it kind of made Chuck look like a ****.

I don't know him, but dang. The vid didn't impress me that Chuck was guy who's about doing the right thing.

I've had some experience dealing with motorhomes...

How were you involved? We made the chassis for many of the big guys..... Beaver, Country Coach, Fleetwood, Vogue, Monaco, etc.

We were the first to make a rear enging diesel "pusher" in a motor home.

Dunno much about motor homes etc., but...

On the main subject...

It's my observation, that has gone kinda unmentioned here, that even some "names" in music are far better pickers than anybody outside their "in crowd" has any idea just how good they are - and vice versa.

A lotta "leads" that have been more memorable within context of the music haven't really been all that fancy, but emerged instead from musical creativity rather than hot technical ability...

m

A lotta "leads" that have been more memorable within context of the music haven't really been all that fancy' date=' but emerged instead from musical creativity rather than hot technical ability... [/quote']

Chuck was definately a stylist, and almost every kid who wanted to pay lead when I was a kid, learned "Johnny B. Goode".

You know who I think is a no-brainer? He gets a lot of love around here, but NOT for his guitar playing....

Les Paul!!!

If you're heard "How High The Moon", it's pure genius...and because of recent news, the radio station I listen to has been playing "Hold That Tiger". Made me appreciate Lester all over again!

Bob

• 5 months later...

Archived