Gibson Brands Forums

How's the weather?

EVOL!

It's warming up in western South Dakota, USA. Shouldn't get much below -13F the next cupla days and highs in the +10 to 20 F range. Wind chills should be running somewhere around 0 F daytimes, heaven knows at night but should stay warmer than -30 F.

As Jax sed, it's December on the Northern Plains. <grin>

For what it's worth, I havn't gotten out my winter coats yet. That tends to be for actual temps -20 F or below.

The Mickelson Trail down the spine of the Black Hills should have enough snow for sleds soon, if not already.

As for climate change, one might note that Greenland was exactly that in historic times, and it was warm enough for a farm colony to do rather well - and that was before industrialization of the world. OTOH, after the medieval warming period came the so-called "little ice age" that ended farming in Greenland and brought the expansion of glaciers that now again are shrinking.

At periods prior to that little ice age, where I live now was so hot that human activity was just about nil.

But as has been said, that's an argument for a different forum.

m

Lows around freezing out here in the open desert west of Phoenix.

Highs in the 50's.

It's a little cool for us but not unusual in any way.

And the climate change skeptics are still in denial. They just dont get it.

You're a young guy' date=' eh?

If you came of age or gained your worldly awareness in the last decade, "climate change" is all you've ever heard.

When I was a kid in the seventies, we had an Ice Age looming.

Then we had holes in the ozone layer caused by Freon refrigerant so they banned R-12.

Then the gov't gave DuPont a waiver to keep producing it because of the demand.

Lotsa $$$$ wasted there, with a few people getting filthy rich from it.

El Nino (an actual meteorological condition that varies yearly) got people thinking about global warming.

Combine that with "greenhouse gas" like CO2 and there's the new cause for the environment.

Now the cleanest fossil fuel you can burn (natural gas) is being demonized because of CO2.

People pushing this are clueless lemmings.

It tickles me to hear 20 year old college students talking about weather like they've never seen....

Meanwhile, just north of me (Arizona desert) they are still looking for stranded hunters and campers who got snowed in and trapped in the mountains by 2 feet of snow and winter is still weeks away - in ARIZONA.

That's why they call it W - E - A - T - H - E - R

Awwwww.....

The only thing wrong with Chitown this time of year, as I recall, is that a bit of snow ends up closing roads not because of snow, but because of idiots who leave their cars in the middle of the street. <grin>

Cold weather kills most of the bugs, etc., and as an old friend used to say, it helps keep out the riff-raff. No, there are still plenty of people below the poverty line - it's just the ones who don't wanna do anything constructive who stay away.

The downside is that it's harder to haul band equipment, but... what the heck.

Oh - and when it's reeeeeally cold, it's colder than a witch's left ... Uhhhhh ... eyeball. <grin>

m

How cold is it right. 31 degrees. I was out in the weather and then it turn into ice and people were sliding in all different direction. UPS truck fish tale it and came close to hitting my mom and me and women in her van went filing by us fast that she turn a two lane highway into 3 three. She miss us and other car she almost hit spin around and cream in to concret divider. Needless to say stupid driving is abound in this kind of weather.

Tazzb...

Never forget when I was in Dallas one year to do a "shoot," my ride to their airport was interesting. The driver was a South Dakota boy originally, and was doing maybe 40 - too fast - on the Interstate on glare ice in one of those Texas ice storms.

A guy drove past us like we were standing still and the idiot was using his electric shaver with one hand and driving - well, aiming is a better term - with the other.

Yupper... He was in the ditch within a mile or so.

In Memphis a gal was complaining that her boyfriend and mechanic were lying to her. Her brakes weren't working. The mechanic and boyfriend said nothing was wrong with the brakes. There was a bit of snow that packed into ice and the car's brakes just wouldn't work when she punched 'em to stop.

Another Memphis story. Soon after the move, I'm sitting with a new friend and he asks, "What's that electric cord doin' stickin' outa the grill on that Chevrolet of yours?"

"Tank heater," I replied. "Whazzat?" he asked. "It's to keep the engine warm enough to start when it gets down to zero - and the outfit doesn't like to start at all without it when it's more than 20 below," sez I.

He said he figured he wasn't like to move to South Dakota. I just grinned.

m

I was in Houston when I ordered a new Ford Explorer in 1998.

I wanted the 302 v-8, but all of them on the lots were loaded out with leather, sunroof, etc....

To get what I wanted with the added v-8 power I decided to do a factory order.

As we were going thru the options with the fleet guy, he was reading each item off the computer.

He came to Heater, Engine Block, and joked that I probably wouldn't want that....

I asked how much, he said it was $31.

I told him to put it on there.

He didn't think I was serious - in Houston?

I told him that it would cost me ten times that to put a good one on later, so why not?

Turns out we used it several times.

Previous to this, the ex-wife would go out and start her car inside the garage when it was cold, so it would be toasty-warm when she was ready to leave for work. Even with the garage door up, it still filled the house with fumes.

I jumped her *** for that several times, so she only did it when I was at work already.

I mean, it rarely gets below freezing in Houston.

Winters are usually just 40's and rain - still chilly, but come on...

So, when we had babies it was handy to plug the Explorer in 3-4 hours ahead of time.

Load the truck in the relative warmth of the garage, pull the plug and back out of the garage.

Before she would be to the stop sign at the end of the block, she would have all the heat she wanted.

Same on vacations up north.

Best $31 I ever spent on a vehicle - even on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Neo...

My Mom's visiting my lil' sis, her offspring and her offspring's offspring for Christmas down in Corpus. But she said it was chilly enuf that they cancelled the lighted boat parade???

<grin>

We had our lighted parade at about 0 F regardless.

EDIT: BTW, an acquaintance from west Tennessee visited in South Dakota some years ago and couldn't figure why his outfit wouldn't start. After a few questions he was surprised to learn that 40-weight oil was not a very good idea when the temp is -20 or so. <chortle> Got it inside and warmed up, dumped that oil, put in a tank heater and some 10-30 and the guy was good to go. Ain't been back in the winter since.

m

Yeah I try to leave this morning for work put there was too much ice on my drive I slide one direction or the other. Of course if I had succeeded in getting then the problem would have been not being able to skidding into my neighbors park car on the other side of the street. So I gave up and called in and told Bosses I couldn't make it in today. Will try for tomorrow.

Archived