Gibson Brands Forums

need help identifying my Gibson

bsacco

Am I mistaken...doesn't the truss rod plate in the photo say its a B-25? It looks like a B-25 to me from the photo. Also, appears to have an adjustable bridge on it which would make it from the 60s not the 70s. If the serial number equates from the above post to a 1967 and the back of the headstock does not say "Made in the USA" on it, then its a '67 B-25 in my opinion. Beginning in 1969 or 70, the back of Gibson headstocks began to say Made in the USA throughout Gibson's Norlin era. So, if it doesn't say it..it likely is a a '67.

Hope that helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

It could be. Look into the soundhole and see if there any sign of a faint ink stamp that says LG1 in it. The way to tell if it is a LG1 or LG2 (LG2s also came in sunburst...at one point LG3s were the natural version and LG2s were the sunburst version...both LG2 and 3 were replaced by the B25 which is basically identical.)

To tell for sure if its a LG1 or LG2/B25 look in the soundhole towards the bridge and see if the bracing under the guitar's top is in an X pattern. If its an X patttern, you will see two diagonal braces intersecting and forming a triangle when you look into the soundhole towards the bridge underneath the top. If there is this X, it is a LG2 or B25. If there is no X and instead you see bracing under the guitar's top that seems to structured as parallel pieces of wood (referred to as Ladder bracing rather than X bracing), then you have a LG1.

Hope this helps...let us know.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived