Gibson Brands Forums

Jump for joy or a bit disappointed.

LT ED

How many of you guys and have got your brand new les paul home and on first look seems perfect but after a real good look you start to find little problems be it finish /overspray/ bad build quality/badley stamped seriel numbers, you know the stuff . Has anybody just returned It and swapped it for another? Hand built I accept / the history and prestige I accept but bad sloppey workmanship at that price is unacceptable. Could that be a one off I think not.

To be honnest, I have really good attention to detail, so I don't miss big things, but yeah, small things pass me by at the store.

Usually when I get home and find them, they are so minor I see them as character. I'm usually glad after a while, caus they are what make my guitar unique.

I might be weird, but I like the imperfections.

I play, and look them over throughly prior to leaving the place of purchase. Though I did have an occurance at a Guitar Center where I had missed a spot on the back where the headstock of another had rubbed it, and once i got home noticed it. It was very minor, and had to be held at the right angle to see. My experience with Guitar Center is that just about every guitar there has cosmetic damage due to poor handling, though these are not Gibson issues. If the sound/feel is what I'm looking for I have to decide if it's acceptable, or not. To be honest though I usually go to GC to play like everyone else, but raley buy Gibsons there. I have a couple of places that control the guitars better, therefore less likely to be damaged, that I generally buy from . As was stated earlier some things just make the guitar differant, and that is something I find I desire. I can honesly say I have yet to find soemthing I would call a manufactuers defect.

Nope. Never. I have always played them in store for days, I bring my jeweler's loop and examine every square centimeter and make them let me take it out into the sun light.....

Who am I trying to kid??? I get so excited when I find one I want I am lucky I don't get home and find myself saying "A neck??? I KNEW it looked funny...." . But like Phil_104 said... call me weird but the very flaws that most folks would find unappealing are the very things that attract me to a guitar. Means I can pick my axe out of 100 just like it.

Which, now that I think about it, will come in quite handy should I ever accidently drop my guitar into a pit full of similarly finished guitars... I guess.... =D>

I've never suffered any remorse when I get a guitar home. I play them thoroughly and look them over good - but I'm not using a scanning electron microscope. My main concerns are sound, playability, major flaws, and show stoppers. Microscopic finish variations or flaws won't stop me from buying an otherwise good guitar. That said, I have found nothing wrong with any of my Gibbies.

I bought an SG once that had a couple of minor nicks. The nicks bugged me a lot but after thinking hard about it, I relized the problem was not the nicks, it was the fact that I didn't really want the guitar. I was subconciously looking for any flaw to use as an excuse. That guitar was returned.

Now I operate on the WOW Factor. If I open the case and go Wow!, then it's a keeper. If it's a Ho-Hum feeling, then I don't really want it.

I have several Wow guitars and many of them have lots of nicks and scratches.

It funny you mentioned that. I looked at my Standard Trans-amber today and saw some

overspray that I never saw before. Not a big deal but still. If I sold a $4000.00 (Retail) pair

of speakers the finish would be perfect, Snell, Martin Logan, Wilson etc.

Its amazing what is allowed to pass as passed.

I saw a Gretch today and asked how much for the used guitar and he

pointed to the sticker and then I pointed to the gouge next to the pickup and

the buckle rash on the back and he told me (Dude thats how they come)

Guess what? Dude I wont shop there again

My new Goldtop has a ding on the top.

Didn't see it when I bought it - it was UNDER the pick guard!!!

Seriously, right in the middle of where the guard covers the top.

WTF?

Okay, THAT is from Gibson.

When I pulled the pickguard off, the bracket was stuck to the finish, actually embedded in it a little.

My dealer never pulled the guard, never had a reason to.....

When I bought my 335 several years ago, I didn't notice until I first cleaned it really well that there was red overspray on the nut at the headstock. Not bad, but.....

Oh well,

If my 335 ever winds up mixed in with 100 other cherry red Dot Reissues.....

:-)

Not at all and not for all the moral reasons or good mojo answer. I'll be honest I'm pushing 50 I'm lucky if I see the scratches I put on hell in a few years I probably won't be able to see if it has a pick guard or not already had a lens replacement from a eye injury years ago that caused darkening like cataract) so I truly don't sweat the little stuff cause I can't see them.

As long as they sound good and look good to me I'm pretty happy, I sold a guitar to a guy a few months ago that actually brought a special handheld lamp and magnifying goggles to look at a 20+ year old guitar. I might get there if it was a 1959 original and pushing the home purchase kind of dollars but not yet.

My new Goldtop has a ding on the top.

Didn't see it when I bought it - it was UNDER the pick guard!!!

Seriously' date=' right in the middle of where the guard covers the top.

WTF?

Okay, THAT is from Gibson.

When I pulled the pickguard off, the bracket was stuck to the finish, actually embedded in it a little.

My dealer never pulled the guard, never had a reason to.....

)

From the underside of the pickguard bracket? Was it the screw that indented in the finish a little bit?

Mine was the same way from the bracket being too close so I bet it back a bit so it wasn't physically touching the finish.

Tone and playability are important. I suppose I'd catch a major cosmetic flaw when checking the guitar in store. Maybe even get a nice discount out of it...

Smaller cosmetic issues don't bother me. After about a year, a guitar (especially one with nitro finish) no longer looks mint anyway.

Naw. Sound, feel and looks are the most important for me so when my strap button pulled out of the hole on my few months old standard, I fixed the hole and moved on -

But if things started adding up anything else started going wrong, I woud have done something else.

From the underside of the pickguard bracket? Was it the screw that indented in the finish a little bit?

Mine was the same way from the bracket being too close so I bet it back a bit so it wasn't physically touching the finish.

The bracket sunk into the finish on the underside of the guitar - around the screw hole.

When I pulled the screw out, the bracket was still stuck.

The ding is in the middle of the area covered by the pickguard, invisible unless it's removed.

My guess is, the guy installing the pickguard dropped it on the guitar and decided "screw it, nobody will notice..."

It's not bad, I left the pickguard off.

Les Pauls don't really NEED a pickguard anyway.

I am considering buying a Les Paul Custom at the moment.

There is a lovely white one in the store right now, but it has some cosmetic issues.

The white paint on the back appears to have sunk into the wood (did they forget the primer?), and you can see streaks of brown through what should be an opaque white surface.

There is a weird appendage hanging from the edge of the pickguard. It actually looks as if the multi-ply is just a sticker that runs around the edge:-k

The deal breaker : the top edge of the headstock isn't polished. Not only that, it looks as if it wasn't even lacquered at all. Feels really rough.

I don't care about the look of the back (the less paint, the better the sound) and the pickguard is easy to sort out.

But that headstock... A finish flaw of that magnitude on a 3000€ guitar?

I'm glad I noticed it before I took her home...

How many of you guys and have got your brand new les paul home and on first look seems perfect but after a real good look you start to find little problems be it finish /overspray/ bad build quality/badley stamped seriel numbers' date=' you know the stuff . Has anybody just returned It and swapped it for another? Hand built I accept / the history and prestige I accept but bad sloppey workmanship at that price is unacceptable. Could that be a one off I think not.[/quote']

I must have found a good one because I haven't noticed any problems with mine. :-s

I always give a complete once over at the store under good lighting where I can angle the body under the lights to reveal any surface flaws. Once I am satisfied non exist, in the case it goes. If I find something minor later at home, so be it, I'll probably do worse to it in years to come with an occasional mishap here and there, so anything found soonafter purchase is what I consider relic'ed character.... But the way, I treat my guitars like royalty and they'll still get a ding or so now and agian from just being out and played.

How many of you guys and have got your brand new les paul home and on first look seems perfect but after a real good look you start to find little problems be it finish /overspray/ bad build quality/badley stamped seriel numbers' date=' you know the stuff . Has anybody just returned It and swapped it for another? Hand built I accept / the history and prestige I accept but bad sloppey workmanship at that price is unacceptable. Could that be a one off I think not.[/quote']

Thank you.

I just did a one over on my Custom and I appreciate her even more now. Flawless!

I bought a new SG Standard last October. Took it home, played it for a bit and then noticed a small paint chip on the back neck joint. It didn't bother me at first, but then I thought about the guitar in 10 - 15 years time and thought that small chip might eventually get ugly. I exchanged it for another. I love the one I have now. The one I returned was kinda dull anyways.

Archived