Gibson Brands Forums

Finish Flaking on Les Paul Studio Neck

trapdoorspider

Why is the clearcoat finish flaking or "popping" off the side of the neck on my 2008 Les Paul Studio, purchased new a year ago? The finish is "poppling" off at the ends of the frets and the side dot markers. This model has the Classic White finish with the ebony fretboard. I've always babied this guitar, and it's lived in the case when I'm not playing it at home. It has certainly never been dropped or even dinged.

I have other Gibsons (including two Studios) and they are not having this problem.

Here's a pic:

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww209/trapdoorspider/?action=view&current=StudioNeck1.jpg

Why is the clearcoat finish flaking or "popping" off the side of the neck on my 2008 Les Paul Studio' date=' purchased new a year ago? The finish is "poppling" off at the ends of the frets and the side dot markers. This model has the Classic White finish with the ebony fretboard. I've always babied this guitar, and it's lived in the case when I'm not playing it at home. It has certainly never been dropped or even dinged.

I have other Gibsons (including two Studios) and they are not having this problem.

Here's a pic:

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww209/trapdoorspider/?action=view&current=StudioNeck1.jpg

[/quote']

hmm, sounds like what the others said is right.... my studio fell once, nearly dropped it a few times, the strap slipped off, before I had strap buttons.

If all of this cracking and flaking is over fret ends and side dot markers, and if you are the original owner contact Gibson and see if they'll cover a repair. There's been some problems with neck/fretboard wood being improperly dried - and they are put together with the wood is too moist. After production, the wood continues to dry and shrink a bit. Of course, the frets and the side dot markers don't shrink, causing the finish to crack, pop and flake over them, as well as along the fretboard/neck joint.

Yes, I'm the original owner, and I liked the Classic White so much that I bought two of them. They are both stored in the same place at home (my closet) but the other doesn't have this problem. You'd think humidity (or lack of it) would affect both about the same, so there must be something wrong with this one. It doesn't look horrible now, but it's just not acceptable for a brand-new guitar, and I don't want it to get worse. At any rate, I contacted Gibson and sent photos. I'll see what they say.

Can someone tell me what posts #6' date=' #7 and #8 have to do with this thread?

They don't even seem related in any shape or fashion or is it just me being a bit thick

[/quote']

You can always tell when you've got rats from the droppings they leave behind.[wub]

• 1 month later...
Yes' date=' I'm the original owner, and I liked the Classic White so much that I bought two of them. They are both stored in the same place at home (my closet) but the other doesn't have this problem. You'd think humidity (or lack of it) would affect both about the same, so there must be something wrong with this one. It doesn't look horrible now, but it's just not acceptable for a brand-new guitar, and I don't want it to get worse. At any rate, I contacted Gibson and sent photos. I'll see what they say. [/quote']

trapdoorspider - did Gibson give you any response? I looked at your pics and I have the exactly same problem on my '76 Explorer reissue. Not cool... Any luck?

Archived