Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone AND gibson

dvir

You can find great specimens of each, and unfortunately, terrible specimens of each. That said, if you want inexpensive bling, examine your available Epi Custom choices and you may find a excellent specimen. Some Epi owners would say the electronics, specifically the pups, are what they are most apt to change to Gibby parts. I've owned a couple of Epiphones, and currently have an Epi Ultra II hybrid in my collection - the specimen I've got is an excellent guitar and I haven't changed any parts. Get your hands, eyes, and ears on any guitar you're thinking of buying. Good luck in you hunt.

I had a Epi Les Paul Plus Top in Honeyburst but it just seemed to lack something thought the finish was nice. Now I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio in the worn brown...its got a really cool wood grain through it..not the plain brown look...and everything bout the hardware is 1000x better I've never seen an Epi Custom that's actually worth the 800 bones!

I spend a good bit of time @ the Epi forum, and what i've read is that the Customs, aren't as highly thought of as even the Standards..........the main complaint being the hardware/electronics.

Best thing to do is go plug in several guits,a few GLP Studios, and a Few different flavors of Epi's..........then buy the one that suits you best.

I had the same choice, I took the gibby.

Another factor to consider, not mentioned by others, is the market value of the guitar in the years to come. Even if you don't plan to sell it ever ( I know I don't), it remains a point of consideration. You never know...

IMHO, it boils down to the preference between looks (of an Epi Custom) and improved pickups / electronics (of a Studio).

Good luck mate!

Best thing to do is go plug in several guits' date='a few GLP Studios, and a Few different flavors of Epi's..........then buy the one that suits you best.[/quote']

Exactly this. We may all have opinions, but you won't know how they were formed, or what our particular taste in guitars might be. It's a bit like asking "Butter or no butter on my roll?"... you'll get lots of opinions, but they're not gonna help you out... only you can say whether or not you prefer butter.

[biggrin]

American made vs. foreign. Buy American everytime. Better quality wood & electronics. No Overseas shipping... Not to mention the fact that you're supporting the American labor force... Get the GIBSON.

gibson owns Epiphone. wont you support the labor work by buying a gibbson to?

I've always assumed the Gibson brand is a better made guitar....i hear this about the electronics etc but I don't know what the difference is. Can anyone help me understand how the electronics are different?

Anyone know specifics on this?

Epiphone and Gibson competed, and some consider Epi's instruments, particulary their archtops, to be superior to Gibson. Then Gibson bought Epi in the late 50s. Gradually, throughout the 60s, Gibson turned Epi into their "B" line. This continues through the present. The Epi's generally are designed to be manufactured inexpensively with less expensive materials, including the electronics. There are some cases where an Epi model has Gibson pups, but those are seldom seen exceptions.

So, the Epiphone brand is Gibson's value based "B" line of guitars with most of the models using lesser quality wood and hardware to save money, and the Gibson brand is Gibson's "A" line of guitars with many models sparing no expense to provide top quality wood, hardware and electronics.

This does not mean you can't find a good quality Epi. You've got to try before you buy.

Archived