Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone AND gibson

dvir

Have you personally experienced crappy Epiphone electronics?

Smoke and mirrors.

umm, yeah i have. the pots gibson puts in its historics are waaaay better than Epi, but they still arent that good. there's probably a reason why so many people swap out the pickups, pots and caps on Epiphones....prolly why so many people swap the pots/caps in the Historics....oh yeah, smoke and mirrors.

if you play with all pots on 10, a metal zone pedal and your amp's gain on 11, it probably wont matter. But if you use a non-master tube amp, the pots become a bit more important. but i guess thats all smoke and mirrors, too?

Hey, JPMan, I'm not looking for a fight.

All I'm saying is that in the 29 years or so that I've had Gibsons and Epi's (and Fenders and...etc) I've never had a problem with any pot or cap.

if you play with all pots on 10' date=' a metal zone pedal and your amp's gain on 11, it probably wont matter. But if you use a non-master tube amp, the pots become a bit more important. but i guess thats all smoke and mirrors, too? [/quote']

I almost never have any of my pots on 10, I don't own a pedal of any sort and my amp's gain is turned way down. My amp is a master amp so I can't answer the final point you raise.

Perhaps I'm just more sympathetic towards my equipment? I don't know.

Just lucky?

Probably.

I am with Pippy; In 12 years of teaching I have never experienced any of these nightmare scenarios, I read on places like this, with Epiphones. I teach 82 pupils a week and have a regular 'feed through' year to year too of pupils coming and going... so that is a lot of guitars I have tried!! (Many; if not the majority, are Epiphones too[cool] )

Obviously being a non American I don't share a loyalty to an American guitar; but especially so, when there are many as good and also better; instruments out there. In short, I buy what my ears likes. My ears rule my being, so what they like goes[biggrin] That is regardless of what country they were made in or what people on internet forums like this say. LOL

Don't get me wrong I like to be supportive my native country Britain, where possible, (ie if the product is good) but I am objective too.

My guitar collection couldn't be more multi cultural [confused] ; Of my 18 guitars; I have five Yanks, Two Limeys, three Spaniards, A Mexican, two Koreans, a Chinaman and four very well dressed Japanese gents [blink]

Matt

gibson owns Epiphone. wont you support the labor work by buying a gibbson to?

Buy a Gibson, support American labor. Buy an Epiphone, support foreign labor, but some of the money comes to America for the "Big Guys" at Gibson. Either way Gibson wins, but Gibson quality is better than Epiphone. I have nothing against Epiphone, both of my sons have Epi's. If you afford the Gibson, you'll be happier overall.

Archived