Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L 00 vs Kopp L02 ???

suburude63

I have actually played both-- a Kopp L00 that Greg Boyd brought to Wintergrass several years ago, and numerous vintage and new L00s from Gibson. I thought enough of the Kopp to actually take it into a back hallway and record myself playing it, so I could get an idea of how it projected.

Sound is always going to vary -even between the same model guitar from the same maker. So I hesitate to say anything that would label a Kopp L-00 as 'blank' or 'blank'.

I will say- without any hesitation- that that particular Kopp guitar was the easiest playing acoustic guitar I have ever played. It seemed to actually play itself. I tried licks that were only marginally in my grasp at the time, things that usually took me several passes to get- and they just ripped off of that guitar.

But the sound wasn't happening for me. Very possibly because it was a new instrument.

I have actually played both-- a Kopp L00 that Greg Boyd brought to Wintergrass several years ago' date=' and numerous vintage and new L00s from Gibson. I thought enough of the Kopp to actually take it into a back hallway and record myself playing it, so I could get an idea of how it projected.

Sound is always going to vary -even between the same model guitar from the same maker. So I hesitate to say anything that would label a Kopp L-00 as 'blank' or 'blank'.

I will say- without any hesitation- that that particular Kopp guitar was the easiest playing acoustic guitar I have ever played. It seemed to actually play itself. I tried licks that were only marginally in my grasp at the time, things that usually took me several passes to get- and they just ripped off of that guitar.

But the sound wasn't happening for me. Very possibly because it was a new instrument. [/quote']

Thanks Hoss !

Was it a hog or maple L02 do you remember? [biggrin]

Thanks!

Sub-- I played one if the L00s legends. Its a nice unit. Light, responsive, vintage tones, nice grip (once owned a 30s L0 back in the day as a point of comparison). Hard to imagine improving on it. But I would have said the same thing re the Orig. Jumbo they had in the shop that day. JK

Suburude.....will you PLEASE list your current "inventory" of guitars????? I'm soooo confused to which guitars you have left and which ones you are going to buy.....lol...

One wiley beleive it or not I am down to : #-o

1) Kopp K 35 = Incredible !! :)

2) Gibson 1956 J 45 = Incredible :-

3) Santa Cruz H-13 = Incredible :-

All others have been sold. I liked them all but I find these get played weekly some daily !

The Kopp is indescribable ! Wiley ! If you get a chance to play one thay are amazeing ! Imagine the sound of a new J 35 in 1936 > Really ! [biggrin]

I now am looking for a L00 size. Greven, Kopps L02 and Flammangs EL35 are in the running. New they are outragous in price. So I am searching.

Grevens L00v is looking very :-k very good!

Archived