Gibson Brands Forums

steve vai...

S t e v e

I've always been envious, of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani's technical expertise, as well as others

who can do all that. It would be nice to know how, and be that accomplished. BUT...I would

never really use all that, I fear. It's not my "style" or taste, really. Now, is that because I don't

know how, or (maybe) could never play like that??! Good question.... Yet, I LOVE the Blues,

where often times, "less is more," and B.B. King (and, many others) playing 1-3 notes, in just the

right place, can send shivers down my spine, give me goose bumps, and even bring a tear to my

eye. "Shredders" have never done that, to me....even though, as stated, I admire their "chops!"

CB

duane' date=' maybe this will help [biggrin']

Heard it before and it's a fantastic cut[cool]

But for me there has to be something in the technique.... EVH had it (when he was young), RR had it, Joe Walsh, Schon, Beck, David Gilmour, Hendrix, Barry Goudreau and George Harrison have, or had something in their playing that makes me wish I could play like that.

Vai doesn't make me feel that way. He just makes me feel like I suck on the guitar[blush] While the others give me the feeling of wanting to play my guitar.

Heard it before and it's a fantastic cut[cool]

But for me there has to be something in the technique.... EVH had it (when he was young)' date=' RR had it, Joe Walsh, Schon, Beck, David Gilmour, Hendrix, Barry Goudreau and George Harrison have, or had something in their playing that makes me wish I could play like that.

Vai doesn't make me feel that way. He just makes me feel like I suck on the guitar[blush'] While the others give me the want to play my guitar.

i understand exactly what your saying, were all inspired by different styles and skills on guitar and thats what makes us indivisuals...but it's all good, praise the lord for the guitar! [confused]

Blah.... Nothing against the guy's talent. He's a genius. I appreciate the sense of humor in his playing too. I even have his first album Flexable on vinyl - I've had it for 20 years. But it's not something I really enjoy listening too.

Saw him on the '96(?) Fire Garden tour here. Actually got to stand in the wings and watch him from the stage which was cool.

He is first and foremost a showman in all aspects including his playing. Dare I say too over the top most of the time. If only he would kick back like Joe...

I also got Flexable on record when it came out and also have Leftovers(1 of only 500)on vinyl which he signed for me and asked where the hell I got it,being on the other side of the planet. I know people..hehe[biggrin] As an aside,I also have a great tape of Van Halen gigging at Pasadena High too.

2 faves that spring to mind - Whispering A Prayer & Giant Balls Of Gold...beautiful and deadly respectively.[wub]

For me,I don't think he'll ever top Passion...which is my fave. Though I also love to play VAI,since it has my fave drummer(Bozzio) and Devin Townsend is a great singer/muso in his own right.

Vai is great no doubt' date=' and among the best ever.[cool'] But there's something about his technique that doesnt quite reach my soul for some reason[confused]

I feel you. Vai is undeniably talented and I'd bow but he does not stir me.

I'm a nub, but Andy digs a little deeper into my soul:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Not as flashy or complex but, I like him [biggrin]

Archived